• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New duckling and Silkie chicken!

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I run a small animal rescue, and though it's usually strictly wildlife and foster kittens, I had a small patient that I just couldn't turn down...

I work as a counselor at a local farm camp, and sometimes they have wildlife they need me to rehab. In this case however, they had a domestic 1 day old duckling that was attacked by the farm dog, and would of been euthanized if I couldn't take her. I couldn't turn let that happen, of course, but ducklings need company or they can get depressed. So I ended up buying a two month old silkie for company! What's two more permanent sanctuary residents... right? :hilarious: *sigh*

Here's a picture (her head is a lot better now, but not totally healed. At one point I thought she would lose one of her eyes!)
IMG_3651.JPG

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Oh I love silkies! They are my favorite :)
They're so fuzzy and adorable! I've never had one before so I'm very exited to see what happens. It's so cute to watch the silkie marching around with the duckling in tow:laugh:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. So kind of you to take the duckling into your home and care for him/her and also nice of you to get him/her a friend.
They are both very cute.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
My Dad had silkies...cutest things!

Thank you for helping the duckling...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I love silkie chickens!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What a lucky duckling and an adorable pair! They look so happy together already and they will lead charmed lives at your sanctuary! I'm so glad you're the kind person you are and took them both in, though that sounds like the kind of reasoning I try to use with my husband...
ducklings need company or they can get depressed. So I ended up buying a two month old silkie for company! View attachment 254516
I can see it now: "Honey, my duck was lonely so I bought a chicken." :shy: I can't imagine the look I'd get for that one. ;)

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Oohhhh they are both so precious! :heart: :heart: :heart: