• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Conure Owner - Cage and Behavior Questions

gcconure11

Moving in
Hello, I bought a conure 6 days ago that is 5 months old. I bought him from a bird store. He was hand fed and kept in clear plastic cage with about 10 other baby conures.

I went to visit the bird several times before buying it. Every time the bird would seem quite scared being out of its bin but would let me give it scratches while it sat on my hand or a table.

I bought the bird and have since felt somewhat lost because I feel my birds behavior changes a lot.

On day one, I spent almost the whole day with my bird being in the same room. I would lightly talk to it. He was eating and drinking and things seemed great. The bird would cry and scream for a few minutes if I left the room.

At the end of day one, since everything seemed to be going well, I started hand feeding the bird some treats. I opened the cage and let him come to the top which he did! I thought he seems very comfortable.

Once when I was hand feeding him a treat, he quickly climbed up my arm to my shoulder and perched there. I thought this was a very good sign that he was already bonding with me. He played with my hair and made a clicking sound. I let him stay there for about 20 minutes.

It wasn't easy for him to come down. He tried to bite my fingers if i reached up to him (first time i saw biting behavior) and kept hiding behind my head. Eventually i got him back in the cage and we went to bed.

The first day seemed great but things seem to have gone downhill from there. I read that shouldering a baby bird is a bad idea and especially if they aren't well behaved. But now if I spend time in the room with him, he often cries unless i come right next to him. He tries to climb up onto my shoulder constantly, and has even almost hurt himself trying to fly up there.

I feel like I took things too far too fast on day 1 and I'm not sure how to correct it.

I'm really having trouble reading his body language too. When I give him scratches, he'll fluff up his feathers like he loves it and then 10 seconds later try to bite me. I give him some space then, but then he starts crying/screaming because I'm too far away. I feel like I'm constantly guessing what he wants.

What should I do? Do I leave the room? This is when he seems the quietest/calmest (after the initial screams) - but I feel like this is neglecting the bird.

Do I stay in the room with him and just deal with the screams?

Do I let him out of the cage? I work from home and have no problem supervising him. I am scared that he will try coming onto my shoulder again though. I also feel like when I try to play (like getting him to step up) I just make him more anxious.

Also, is my cage too small? Its about 17X17X22. Its what the store recommended but not sure i trust it to be big enough. Image: 20191022_150534.jpg - Google Drive

Finally, he constantly does a behavior where he squats down and acts like he's going to fly. (he often shakes too). He will do this, straighten up, pace a few steps, and do it again. He especially does it while looking at me if I'm near the cage. Heres a video: 20191022_145817.mp4 - Google Drive

You might not be able to tell in that video that he's shaking, but he is when he squats down.

Thanks for any answers and recommendations! I'm doing my best to take care of him, just having a bit of trouble figuring out what he wants :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello, Welcome to the Avenue :)
Does your bird have a name?

The cage you have isn´t great. Minimum is 32x24, but bigger is always better. If you purchase a new cage, you can use this one as a sleep cage or travel cage.

If he gets up on your shoulder and you want to bring him down, lean one shoulder against a wall, then get him. He won´t be able to give you the runaround and the game will cease.

They always say, when you first bring home a new bird, only spend as much time with him as you will throughout his life. By spending an entire day with him, he now expects that.
Try to teach him how to play. So get the toys from his cage, and play with them with him. Encourage him to explore them so that when he´s alone in his cage, he can play with them to occupy himself.

If you work from home and can do so, then let him stay out of his cage. A playstand is a good idea - load it up with treats and some toys to keep him entertained there.

Have you read through anything over in The Training Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum ?
This one is particularly good: Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
You may also want to teach clicker training: Clicker Training Classroom | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
If you leave the room, try leaving a radio on for him. We leave music on for our three gcc when leave the house. Seems to help. I found if one calls for me, if I respond the bird settles down. They just want to know you are still there with them.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I usually just peep or call back to them a few times. Once you get into a normal routine, he will settle down. Get a bigger cage, lots of shreddables and some good perches to keep him engaged while you are busy or gone. You're just in time for the sidewalk sale!

I am okay with shoulders as long as they behave and don't bite my face or neck. I only have one who isn't allowed on the shoulder.

I also have a tv in the birdroom. They keep tabs on the weather for me.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My conure, Galahad, is 8 months old now, and I got him when he was about 2 months. Their personalities do change as they get older, but not necessarily in a bad way. Galahad didn't really get into playing until he was probably about 4 months old. You'll find that conures always have something to say, they're kind of famous for their grumbling! When Galahad really wants my attention he makes what I call a bark, it's intense. As hard as it is, I ignore it or I'm sure he'd be even worse with it. I definitely deliberately tried to encourage him to be independent or he'd have wanted to be on me all day.

Do you have a variety of toys for him? It can take some experimentation to find out what he likes. Also, have you introduced foraging? Giving him things to do other than focus on you should help.

gcconure11

Moving in
Thanks for the replies everyone!

The birds name is Buddy.

He still loves the shoulder and constantly tries to get there. He shows no interest in his toys - he does like playing with my laptop and phone though. According to my research this is because he sees me using them. I'll try hiding treats in his toys and showing him how to use them.

He seems to be getting more and more scared whenever I leave. Now he screams for 1-2 minutes instead of just a few times. I think I'm spending too much time with him each day and he's getting used to always being around me.

I was also thinking of moving his cage into my room. I live by myself in a 3 bedroom house (I guess I like my space :) ) and i had Buddy in the living room. I guess since I am usually in my bedroom working it would make more sense to have him up there? Or should I just continue to let him get used to my relatively quiet living room (i put the radio on for him but doesn't seem to help).

What are good shredables for the cage? I've tried cardboard and paper - no interest currently.

I got him a playstand but he basically just uses it as a perch to stare at me. I put food and toys on it. He will eat the food but still no luck with any toys.

The toys I got were a pack of 6 on amazon. Basically the normal bells, swings, a rope, etc.

I'd still say my biggest setback is his weird behavior around my hands. I can get him to step up onto a finger but he will immediately retreat off after getting his treat (unless he thinks he can make a run for my shoulder). He also has no problem crawling all over my hands while I'm typing on a laptop. But try to give him scratches, or touch him while he's on my shoulder? I get the beak. Perhaps he doesnt like head scratches as much as i thought he did at the pet store.

I'd say he doesn't seem scared of my hands but still doesnt want anything to do with them if he can avoid it.

Anyways, thanks again for all the replies! I'm slowly learning the ropes.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Bird kabobs, 100%! Although every bird is different, they seem to be fairly well received.

So I neglected to read that you've only had him a week .... Birds take longer to settle in and adjust to us than cats or dogs, so him not wanting you to touch him or to play with anything is completely normal. We have to earn their trust, on their terms, at their pace.

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Just wanted to add that you need to replace those dowel perches to natural and rope ones as dowels are bad for their feet.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It wasn't easy for him to come down. He tried to bite my fingers if i reached up to him (first time i saw biting behavior) and kept hiding behind my head. I read that shouldering a baby bird is a bad idea and especially if they aren't well behaved.

Our shoulders are often a place where birds feel comfortable and safe. Your baby is not behaving badly, simply trying to stay where he feels comfortable. Target training can help you teach him to step up off of your shoulder.

But now if I spend time in the room with him, he often cries unless i come right next to him. He tries to climb up onto my shoulder constantly, and has even almost hurt himself trying to fly up there.

Also normal... he went from having the safety of a flock to having just you. He's scared and nervous. He's looking for comfort and he only has you.

I'm really having trouble reading his body language too. When I give him scratches, he'll fluff up his feathers like he loves it and then 10 second later try to bite me.

He could be getting overstimulated and biting because it's too much at once. Try petting him less. Be sure to pet only the head region.

I give him some space then, but then he starts crying/screaming because I'm too far away. I feel like I'm constantly guessing what he wants.

That's exactly it! Learning to understand him and working with him to make him into a well adjusted pet!

What should I do? Do I leave the room? This is when he seems the quietest/calmest (after the initial screams) - but I feel like this is neglecting the bird.

Definitely try encouraging foraging activities before you leave! You can even try and teach him! He may not understand it at first, but it *will* be beneficial to him over the course of his life if he knows how to play independently.

I also feel like when I try to play (like getting him to step up) I just make him more anxious.

Please do look into the training resources and learn how to work with him!

Also, is my cage too small? Its about 17X17X22. Its what the store recommended but not sure i trust it to be big enough. Image: 20191022_150534.jpg - Google Drive

Yes. It's fine as a temporary cage or as a travel cage, but long term, it's much too small. The wooden dowels aren't healthy for his feet and he needs more enrichment. Also make sure you feed a healthy, varied diet! This should include fresh foods.

Finally, he constantly does a behavior where he squats down and acts like he's going to fly. (he often shakes too). He will do this, straighten up, pace a few steps, and do it again. He especially does it while looking at me if I'm near the cage. Heres a video: 20191022_145817.mp4 - Google Drive

This is usually a begging behavior or a scared/nervous behavior. Based on what you described, and considering he's new, it sounds like he's really nervous and scared. I would recommend taking him back to his cage where he can feel more comfortable. Keeping him in a state of being anxious will only encourage him to be anxious and nervous rather than allowing him to settle down, feel comfortable and become confident.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was also thinking of moving his cage into my room. I live by myself in a 3 bedroom house (I guess I like my space :) ) and i had Buddy in the living room. I guess since I am usually in my bedroom working it would make more sense to have him up there? Or should I just continue to let him get used to my relatively quiet living room (i put the radio on for him but doesn't seem to help).
You could have the cage in one area and the stand in the other so he can move around the house with you.

It´s not uncommon for a new bird to not want to play. Encage in playing with the toy with him. If you want to try different toy types, some of the AA vendors sell little bundles or boxes so you can try different stuff.
List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

gcconure11

Moving in
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Here's an update after a few more days:

Things with hands have got a lot better. I'm better at reading his body language and understanding when he wants head scritches. I am able to have him step up onto my finger...if I'm using a treat/training stick as a reward :) He also gets very nervous if I try to bring him anywhere on my finger (he doesn't like that the perch is moving).

I got him a bigger cage and some new perches. He seems to like the rope style perches the best.

I am still at a loss for the dependency problem. I now understand the squat/shaking from before to be begging behavior wanting me to come pick him up. If I am in the room with him and he's not on my shoulder, he is constantly doing this. I've tried sitting in different areas around the room but nothing seems to work.

If I leave the room, he screams for me. It seems like the amount of time he screams is getting longer and longer. I've tried giving contact calls back continuously ("Its okay! I'm right here!") but they don't seem to help. I try bringing him with me to his perches in the other rooms but he just repeats the begging behavior at each spot.

When I do pick him up or sit on the couch with him, he comes alive and becomes very active. He wants to play, forage, train, etc. I got him to play with his toys while he's in my lap (thanks for that suggestion!) but he's not interested in them when I'm not with him. I am currently spending 2-3 hours each day with 1 on 1 time. I have a lot of free time so I dont mind...I just wish he would calm down when he's in his cage.

Should I cut down on the shoulder and play time to force him to use his cage? I just feel like he's so anxious in there (even if I'm sitting near) that it can't be healthy for him.

How do I get my bird to relax when he's not with me?

Thanks again everyone

gcconure11

Moving in
I also have a quick question about training.

I am using a target stick, clicker, and spray millet as a reward. When I'm teaching my bird to step up, do I click after the bird steps up OR after the birds steps up and then touches the stick? These can happen about a full second apart since the bird is a little iffy.

Also, my bird stops for about 20 seconds every time to finish eating the spray millet lol. It takes him quite a while. Are their other treat options that my bird will eat faster?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I also have a quick question about training.

I am using a target stick, clicker, and spray millet as a reward. When I'm teaching my bird to step up, do I click after the bird steps up OR after the birds steps up and then touches the stick? These can happen about a full second apart since the bird is a little iffy.

Also, my bird stops for about 20 seconds every time to finish eating the spray millet lol. It takes him quite a while. Are their other treat options that my bird will eat faster?
Click after he touches the stick. You can just touch his beak to it, click, treat, and then encourage him to touch the stick, maybe just a few inched away, then click and treat. A full second isn't a long time, as you continue he'll get more confident. Lots of people use sunflower seeds or things like that, but I always used just a Nutriberry and after the click they could take a single bite. Anything he really likes will work.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
How much millet are you giving him? I just let mine take a bite, then on to the next thing. I use a "berry" of it when I put my lovebird back in her cage. No payment, no cooperation!

gcconure11

Moving in
I'm pretty sure I'm giving him a "berry" each time I click (if a berry is what I think it is). But first I take it crush off about 70% of the seeds.

Sounds I'm giving him way too much. I'll try just letting him take a bite of it. He usually likes to hold it in his hand and nibble on it but I'll have to stop that.

I do have sunflower seeds with the shells. Those also take about 15 seconds for him to finish though lol.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm pretty sure I'm giving him a "berry" each time I click (if a berry is what I think it is). But first I take it crush off about 70% of the seeds.

Sounds I'm giving him way too much. I'll try just letting him take a bite of it. He usually likes to hold it in his hand and nibble on it but I'll have to stop that.

I do have sunflower seeds with the shells. Those also take about 15 seconds for him to finish though lol.
Yes, a full berry is a lot haha I give my conure a full berry here and there. He also like those Birdie Munchies, they're like cookies, but I do the same, just a bite. ;)

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Is Buddy your first bird?

Everything that you are describing seems very normal to me. As others have said, he went from being a part of a little flock to just having you. It is going to take him a while to get used to his new surroundings and you. It could be months before everything make sense to him and he settles into a routine. Until then, just try your best to be patient with him and help him learn to trust you. With birds, it comes very, very slowly, but it will happen. Until then, he will probably do a lot of things that are hard to understand and may even annoy you at times. That is ok, just give it time. They are very smart, emotional, complex creatures.

I have had my conure, Mango, for about 1.5 years now and it has been a long, slow process of getting to know each other. My bird was not hand-raised as yours was, so she is much more difficult to train. I have had to be VERY, VERY patient with her. But we are bonded with each other now and it is really wonderful. You will get there too!!

Also, continue to ask for help here in the forums. The people here are incredibly knowledgeable and willing to help. You are not alone.

I wish you the very best with Buddy. He has the potential to be one of the very best little buddies you have ever had!!!

Oh, try your very best to establish good eating habits with him now while he is young. As they get older, bad habits are hard to change. Learn about what conures should eat and starting offering him the right foods now.

I am looking forward to seeing your progress!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
A reward should be no bigger than 1/4 to 1/2 the size of a sunflower seed... shelled

If a bird is receiving a full "berry" of millet, instead of *one* piece, then yes your bird is getting too much.

gcconure11

Moving in
Is Buddy your first bird?

Everything that you are describing seems very normal to me. As others have said, he went from being a part of a little flock to just having you. It is going to take him a while to get used to his new surroundings and you. It could be months before everything make sense to him and he settles into a routine. Until then, just try your best to be patient with him and help him learn to trust you. With birds, it comes very, very slowly, but it will happen. Until then, he will probably do a lot of things that are hard to understand and may even annoy you at times. That is ok, just give it time. They are very smart, emotional, complex creatures.

I have had my conure, Mango, for about 1.5 years now and it has been a long, slow process of getting to know each other. My bird was not hand-raised as yours was, so she is much more difficult to train. I have had to be VERY, VERY patient with her. But we are bonded with each other now and it is really wonderful. You will get there too!!

Also, continue to ask for help here in the forums. The people here are incredibly knowledgeable and willing to help. You are not alone.

I wish you the very best with Buddy. He has the potential to be one of the very best little buddies you have ever had!!!

Oh, try your very best to establish good eating habits with him now while he is young. As they get older, bad habits are hard to change. Learn about what conures should eat and starting offering him the right foods now.

I am looking forward to seeing your progress!
Thanks! I do feel as if I'm having the opposite "new bird" problems of most posts that I read (yes this is my first bird). A lot of people are trying to gain their birds trust and bond with them, but Buddy already seems to trust me and just wants nothing to do with anything besides me.

I've decided to stop the shoulder stuff until we get more comfortable with stepping up and being comfortable around my hands. I carry him from room to room on a perch now so he doesn't try to climb up.

A reward should be no bigger than 1/4 to 1/2 the size of a sunflower seed... shelled

If a bird is receiving a full "berry" of millet, instead of *one* piece, then yes your bird is getting too much.
Okay thanks! I'm now just holding up the berry and he rips off a few seeds then I put it back.