• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cockatiel

JozieG

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
JozieG Gutierrez
Hi I was curious about, basically I got a cockatiel she 2 in half years old I got her at the bird farm thats here in Cali the lady basically said I should spend time hold her like step on my hand be she doesn't want to I stopped doing it the first time she started to bite which doesn't hurt I don't flinch etheir because I don't want her to be afraid of me but then lady keeps telling me to keep trying which I feel like is wrong? She doesn't want to leave her cage but she does take treats when I give it to her hold it on the side of cage I've read were people take months or a year to even get close is what I'm worried about am I doing something wrong? Should I leave her be till she gets completely comfortable in my home? She's eating great with her veggies an fruits since the day I got her I just feel like she doesn't like me to clarify I have had her for 4 days I just want to know if me leaving her alone is okay? I do talk to her alot and she loves piano music

Attachments

Weelasmaree

Strolling the yard
Hi and welcome to the forum!

You're not doing anything wrong, and don't just leave her to her to her cage if you're home. Spend as much time with her.
I'm not yet sure if anyone on this forum is against Marlene Mc'Cohenm, who has a Youtube channel and gives great insight to #engagenotcaged, where she advises that even if the bird has not bonded with you yet doesn't mean it can't be hanging outside the cage with you. It just need a place to hang, like a bird stand with toys.
No bird wants to be caged but they can be cage territorial. I have a young female tiel who is very hissy and bitey whenever she is in her cage but as soon as she is out of the cage, and can't get to her cage, is when the training and bonding work best.

I would recommend watching a few of her videos where she shows you introducing a new parrot into her home and bonding with it.
In the meantime, just be patient and let the bird get to know it's space and you. Eventually it will associate you coming to the cage as "play/outside time". Every bird is different though and may take more time.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congratualtions: & :welave:

I took my time, w/ my Amazon when he 1st came. Your both adjusting right now. A move from place to place is stressful for our fids. Yes, you're probably going to want your fid to step up but I wouldn't push too hard she'll come along. Maybe working w/ her for a few minutes each day will help. 5 minute intervals 2 times a day if, you can do it, a healthy treat in the event she does it.

Good luck! I'm not one for cages w/ the only exception Safety! To lock them up to keep an accident from happening.

Pls, keep us updated!ke

:hug9:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Four days I think is way to short of a time to be trying to make a bird step up, etc. Spend time sitting with her and talking to her. Even reading to her so she gets used to you in a nonthreatening way. Hand feed her treats if she will let you. Don't force her out of her cage but you can try to encourage her to come out on her own by putting a perch just outside the open cage door with a piece of millet spray or something else that she likes beside it. Just try to take things at her pace. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum Jozie,

Don't force her out of her cage
Agreed.
When Aldora first came to us, I would leave the door open for her. If she wanted to leave she could, if not, fine. We still havethe same routine. I open all my birds cages, I get the other birds out of the cage, but not Aldora, I let her come out on her own terms. It works for us.

@Weelasmaree I think there is a split opinion about her here. I do watch some videos from time to time, I prefered her older videos, seemed more genuine and less click baity/hounding for patreons. But I did watch this video and I will say, that she spoke about the cage like it was a prison cell. But it is not. If a bird wants to go play in their cage, that is fine, as long as the door is left open so the bird has a choice. A bird should not be forced to be stood on a stand all day if they don´t want to be there.
A cage is a birds safe space.
I do like that she promotes not locking birds in cages though. It is important to have them included in family activities.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I usually let me bird hang out in the cage for a few days where it can just observe me and my household. Get used to the sounds and sights while still secure. I even cover part of the cage so that the bird can hide from view if it wants to.

Then, I open the cage door and walk away :) Let them know that they are allowed to come out at their leisure. No force, no requirement. Freedom. Do this when you have ample time, as you likely won't be able to get the bird to step up to go back to their cage. Keep food and water in the cage and they should naturally return to the cage to eat and drink.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica