• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Cockatiel owner

Brandie Devlin

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey everyone! I am in the process of getting my first cockatiel. I have had only parakeets before and am trying to do research to better myself on being a cockatiel owner. I have bought a large cage that has the dimensions of 26.2 x 19.1 x 8.7 inches and it looks large enough to me. What do you guys think? I am also planning on feeding her only a 30% seed diet and a combination of pellets and fresh fruits & veggies. This is what I have read online on a bunch of vetrinary websites. I am struggling with trying to pick a brand of pellets and seeds. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really want her to have a super quality diet. Also, I see that some owners put vitamins in their water, is this necessary? Any suggestions you guys have would be awesome!

P.s I do not have her yet I have about three weeks before she is old enough to come home so I am trying to prepare now!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Brandie Devlin

Checking out the neighborhood
oh my gosh yes it was a typo... the actual overall dimension: 18.1 x 13.9 x 59.3 ’’ (LxWxH)
Cage Size: 18.1 x 13.9 x 36.2’’ (LxWxH)

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Is that a typo, or is the depth really 8.7 inches? Because that sounds really narrow.

Diet sounds good. I wouldn't offer fruits, unless occasionally if you want to--just veggies. Cockatiels are from the Australian outback, not the tropics, so their species eat greens and veggies (as well as seed) instead. I would recommend powdered vitamin D3 in the food (such as Soluvite-D), since your bird will not have access to direct sunlight. It also helps with calcium uptake. Multi-vitamins are generally not necessary to me if your bird is eating pellets, but you can do that too as long as it contains D3. I also provide a mineral block and a cuttlefish bone (for calcium) in the cage for birds to use as needed. Many birds will not drink water with vitamins in it, but I'm sure some owners have success with it.

ETA: I see that the cage size was a typo. It sounds a bit too tall as opposed to wide. Remember, birds fly laterally, not vertically. If you already bought it and can't take it back, I think the overall dimensions will work, but it's not ideal.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
oh my gosh yes it was a typo... the actual overall dimension: 18.1 x 13.9 x 59.3 ’’ (LxWxH)

Still too small I´m afraid. Is it too late to return it? 18inches is scraping the barrel minimum size. That 13.9inch is just too small.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! I'm not a fan of vitamins in the water and if your tiel has a good diet, not really necessary.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue. :)
Still too small I´m afraid.
...totally agree...hopefully you can return the cage and look for a larger one.
If you can return the cage, we can help give you suggestions for cages within your budget available online. Let us know!
Spot on. :)
Also, I see that some owners put vitamins in their water, is this necessary?
...like @sunnysmom said, providing a good diet for your tiel will make vitamins unnecessary....;)

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
If you feed pellets you shouldn’t add vitamins. Roudybush, zupreem natural, Harrison’s and tops are good brand name pellets. I prefer roudybush. Pellets have added calcium and vitamins. I feed my budgies and cockatiel very similar diets, the only difference is the size in pellets.

Cockatiels should not eat seed mixes with safflower and sunflower seeds, like most have. You can buy budgy seed mixes instead.

Diet can be from 30-50% grains and seeds, 30-50% vegetables and sprouts, 10-30% pellets. The more dark green leafy veges the better. An orange vegetable like carrot is excellent for vitamins as well. Fruits can be fed once every two days but are not necessary, Spinach once a week(also not necessary) boiled egg once a week( can help during molting , or if the bird doesn’t eat enough pellets) .

Last edited: