• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cockatiel Owner Advice needed?

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Congrats on the new bird! She is lucky to have landed with you, you are clearly trying to make sure she has a great and loving home. Please don't beat up on yourself, it's always a learning curve with a new bird -- even though you have had birds, she is new to you and her to you.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so glad she seems more comfortable! It's cute how she flock calls to you. She's already enjoying your company, just still a little nervous about fully interacting with you. When you do add perches or toys, just remember to do it slowly. I like to set new items outside my birds cage for a few days in order to get them comfortable with them.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Two can be good if you don't have too much time for them they can have company.
Two could have been an option if you got them from the same aviary but still just because they got along in a large aviary does not mean they would have gotten along caged in the same cage. This would mean
you might have to have 2 separate cages anyways.

I think one is the best for you now since you already have a busy life with 3 children.

As for sitting in the food bowl they all have there preferences. Luckily mine will just sit only on the outside of his bowls unless he's stuffing himself in his water bowl for a bath. If the bird sits in the food bowl you might have to be mindful to monitor it & refill it if they poop in the bowl as you don't want her sitting on poop or eating it.

Corner is good for now but in the future you might have to consider having the bird near some natural light or provide some as it is good for there health

I hope the bird will enrich all your lives especially your children.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
You could consider a platform perch. You can get them in chrome metal, black metal or wood. There are corner platforms and plain sideways platforms and then there are the more expensive platform perches made out of a solid piece of wood, sometimes with the bird's name stenciled on, etc. If you have the food dish up at least half way on a cage wall, lower it to keep her from using it as a sleeping perch. Put one perch way up the side of the cage, leaving four or five inches between the top of the cage and the perch as a sleeping perch. They usually like that perch back toward the back wall and toward the edge/side wall. With some birds I leave a hand towel or other small piece of cloth to shield the back/side of the perch so the bird will sleep on it. Up to you.

Great that she is flock calling to you when you leave the room and also looking out of the front of the cage to find you. The little stinker is also playing hard to get with calling for you, then turning her back and doing the 'I din't call you' pose! :huh: You are going to have fun with her when she finally decides to be social with you. :coffeescreen: