• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cockatiel mama

redfurmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Felicia Daniels
I will be getting my first tiel soon and I'm so excited!! I have a few questions if y'all don't mind so I can make sure I'm getting set up right.

1) is a girl or boy generally more friendly and cuddlier?

2) does this cage seem like a decent size for one? It's a 31"Lx20.5"Wx53"H. She or he will be up for about half the day, let out to fly the rest of the day and then up at night for safety since I have 3 kittens and a dachshund.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00176F5L0/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

3) how does this diet sound? Roudybush daily maintenance mini pellets along with Lafeber's Nutri-Berries and some fresh veggies?

4) am I estimating the upfront costs correctly? Her cost about $150, cage $107.99, toys $80 (saved in Amazon cart), pack of attachable perches $13.93, an attachable bird bath $9.47, a cuttlebone and berry mineral block $6.04, attachable water bottle $5.76, cleaning supplies about $30ish (dawn soap, bleach to dilute with water, squeeze bottle, rags/sponges), a 44oz bag of Roudybush $9.71, a 10oz bag of nutri-berries $8.71 and a carrier $49.09

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your soon to be cockatiel! I would say females are a little more easy going and might accept getting their head scratched a bit more, but males can be also. Females tend to be a little quieter, but all these types of things really depend on the bird. Are you getting a baby? If you start giving him or her scratches when he is young, he might still enjoy it when he gets older. You should avoid petting on the back, because this could trigger hormones.

The diet looks good, but I would also add a good quality seed mix. For my cockatiels, my vet recommends a consumed amount of 50% pellets and 50% seeds, in addition to as much fresh foods as they want. She also considers nutriberries a pellet food.

The best toys to get for cockatiels is anything shreddable. There are some great Vendors on AA that sell some wonderful toys. My tiels absolutely love balsa wood.

I don't know what kinds of perches you picked out, but you should get a variety of different types and diameters in order to help message his feet.

Stainless steel food cups are great because you can put them in the dishwasher to disinfect them every night. For disinfecting the cage once in a while you should get some F10 disinfectant. It is fantastic and very easy to use. You might also want to get a small travel cage for going to the vet.

I can't wait to see your new bird! When are you getting him or her? Don't forget to post pictures!

redfurmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Felicia Daniels
Congratulations on your soon to be cockatiel! I would say females are a little more easy going and might accept getting their head scratched a bit more, but males can be also. Females tend to be a little quieter, but all these types of things really depend on the bird. Are you getting a baby? If you start giving him or her scratches when he is young, he might still enjoy it when he gets older. You should avoid petting on the back, because this could trigger hormones.

The diet looks good, but I would also add a good quality seed mix. For my cockatiels, my vet recommends a consumed amount of 50% pellets and 50% seeds, in addition to as much fresh foods as they want. She also considers nutriberries a pellet food.

The best toys to get for cockatiels is anything shreddable. There are some great Vendors on AA that sell some wonderful toys. My tiels absolutely love balsa wood.

I don't know what kinds of perches you picked out, but you should get a variety of different types and diameters in order to help message his feet.

Stainless steel food cups are great because you can put them in the dishwasher to disinfect them every night. For disinfecting the cage once in a while you should get some F10 disinfectant. It is fantastic and very easy to use. You might also want to get a small travel cage for going to the vet.

I can't wait to see your new bird! When are you getting him or her? Don't forget to post pictures!
Thanks so much!! I am so torn between a male or female. With 4 female companions in the house already with the cats and dog, it'd be great to have a little male buddy lol but I have been leaning towards a female. So anxious to pick out a name

She will probably be about 12 wks or so when I get her. That's what I read the norm was when getting from a breeder to help with bonding.

What kind of seeds do you get? Should I not get nutri berries and just stick with fresh fruit instead? Along with fresh veggies. How much fruit and veggies a day?

The cage comes with 3 wood perches but I also picked out something called a rough surface perch and a branch perch. Do you think this is enough or more perches?

The cage also comes with 4 plastic cups. Should I still get the stainless steel?

So, F10 instead of just regular bleach? And I do have a carrier picked out

Hopefully the first of June is when we'll be getting the little one!!

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
The cage looks perfect for a cockatiel.
Congratulations on your choice of bird they are wonderful companion birds.
However you will need to make sure your 3 young kittens are not alowed anywhere near the cage as they are natural predators and cannot be trusted and will cause your bird huge stress as they are all young, in the future when all are grown and mature and used to each other this may change but this is unnatural and would be an exception rather than expected.
A cockatiels diet should be kept excactly as it was weaned on when you get your bird home because it will reduce stress and cockatiels are very fussy eaters. After your bird has settled in for a few weeks you can expect to try a new diet but slowly and choose a balanced pellet diet with some seed mix and a small amount of high value treats like millet or honeyed sticks usually kept for when you interact or train once you are friends. New foods can be kept as a choice from day 1 but don't expect them to eat them just because you have bought them.
Be warned a new bird is like no other pet you have had or will have, you will not be automaticaly friends and at 12 weeks old they look like adults but are far from it and how you treat a bird in the first months will shape the way you will interact in the future. I hand reared 4 chicks and have seen them grow from tiny yellow fluff balls to now been 6 month old flock members and they are all different personalities and i reckon they are only just maturing mentally now and learning what they want. Basically I'm trying to say prepare to take it slowly and do it right first time if you want a confident friendly happy bird who values you as much as you do your bird.
Try and not clip it's wings or buy it already clipped as learning to fly when young is important for development physically and mentally. Later on you may decide to clip but with cats in the house that would be an unwise choice!
I have males and females and either will be cuddly but males tend to be a little bolder and seem to hang around me more. But one of my females will do absolutely anything for food ANYTHING!
A female may have problems with egg laying later on that males won't.
I would choose a boy personaly as a first bird but they are difficult to sex when young unless the breeder knows what sex linked genes it's parents carry when breeding. Other than that DNA sexing can help. Other ways to tell are subtle and difficult to get 100% correct.

As previously mentioned Try and buy different width perches or ideally natural branch perches and ledges to avoid future foot problems that can ocur when all same size dowel perches are used. And also place perches so any poo won't fall in any food dishes or water dispenser or on other perches.
It sounds like you have already chosen to buy a baby bird but if you haven't then look into adopting a bird already tamed from a rescue as they can make wonderful pets and have already matured. Will still love you and maybe need a new chance in life...

However you go forward do lots of reading and research and do it right first time and you will have a wonderful pet who will be happy and make you happy..... good luck! 20170110_142446.jpg

Last edited:

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
You got great advice. Assuming your breeder knows if they are male or female I would pick a male. I like the bird to be vocal and I am happy I don't have the egg laying problems.
Do not clip the wings, with three cats in the house it might be life saving for your bird. I make my own seed mix with human grade seeds, I find them in the bulk section at whole food or wegmans. The lafeber nutri berries are great, my bird likes them and they are great for foraging and I hardly have any waste. Cockatiels are not big fruit eaters, mine will nibble on some broccoli and he likes corn and grated carrots. Herbs work too, I hang them in the cage.
Cockatiels like shredding things, offer wood , cork and other shredable toys.

redfurmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Felicia Daniels
Thank y'all!! We would definitely NOT clip wings. Don't believe in that just like how we don't believe in declawing a cat. It's just not right.

Our original plan was just to have the cage in the living room so the tiel will feel included but our cats will frequent this area. Should we build some sort of small inside atrium in the center of the house so the tiel can have 100% flying freedom, feel like part of the family; able to see everyone and everything, but at the same time, not have to worry about the cats since they would not have access to the atrium?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
How very exciting! IMO, there's nothing sweeter than a female tiel...boys are great birds, but girls are something else...:heart:

Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on the situation so far.
I make my own seed mix with human grade seeds, I find them in the bulk section at whole food or wegmans.
A great suggestion.
Should we build some sort of small inside atrium in the center of the house so the tiel can have 100% flying freedom, feel like part of the family; able to see everyone and everything, but at the same time, not have to worry about the cats since they would not have access to the atrium
That's also a great idea.

One other thing...I suggest a wellness visit with an AV after you get your little charge home...it's a great idea to get a good relationship started with her/him as soon as you can...;)

redfurmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Felicia Daniels
How very exciting! IMO, there's nothing sweeter than a female tiel...boys are great birds, but girls are something else...:heart:

Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on the situation so far.

A great suggestion.

That's also a great idea.

One other thing...I suggest a wellness visit with an AV after you get your little charge home...it's a great idea to get a good relationship started with her/him as soon as you can...;)
We can't wait!! We just hope we can find a local tiel around June once our house is built :)

Something like this for the atrium is what we are thinking about:
small bird atrium - Google Search

That one is attached to the side of the house whereas ours would be inside but that's how it could look:pinksmile: do you think 100 sq ft (say a 10x10 atrium) would be big enough for 24/7 use?

Last edited:

barry collins

Real Name
Barry
Having cats in the house will always be a challenge for a bird owner and millions of years of evolution is hard to unwire so it is a problem you will have to get around somehow. but also a single bird will need to be in around people alot or you can develop noise problems (calling to you) i would suggest either a cat free zone where the bird can be with you and a safe place totaly out of reach of the cats but knowing cats i don't think they should ever meet??
A cockatiel will eventually want to ride your shoulder and be with you whenever you are in the house as they are sociable and need stimulation from a friend. If you go to the trouble of building a large enclosure then 2 brothers will be a good idea and they will keep each other company....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Although females are known to be more cuddly, each bird is unique. I had a male tiel and he was a cuddlebug. So you just never know. I agree that a tiel should also have seed in their diet. Tiels are granivors- so seed eaters. And an all pellet diet can be too hard on their kidneys just as an all seed diet can be hard on their livers. I actually fed my tiel seeds and nutriberries. Also, tiels tend not to eat fruit- there are exceptions, but I would focus on vegetables instead. Some favs of my tiel were broccoli, cooked sweet potato, lettuce (not iceberg), snap peas and green beans.

If you're talking about a sand or pedicure perch, I think they're too rough on a tiel's feet. Some natural wood perches and some rope perches are good. You just have to watch with the rope perches to remove any loose threads. We have a lot of great vendors on here too that sell some amazing toys. Anything shredable tiels tend to like. Also, you tiel may or may not like the clip on bath. I had one and my tiel never went near it. He liked being misted instead, but again, each bird has their own likes and dislikes. Congrats on your soon to be tiel!

barry collins

Real Name
Barry
1 very helpful tip is to have a small night light on near the cage all night as night frights are common and a light can help alot so they calm down quicker. Even a very dim one like moonlight.

redfurmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Felicia Daniels
Having cats in the house will always be a challenge for a bird owner and millions of years of evolution is hard to unwire so it is a problem you will have to get around somehow. but also a single bird will need to be in around people alot or you can develop noise problems (calling to you) i would suggest either a cat free zone where the bird can be with you and a safe place totaly out of reach of the cats but knowing cats i don't think they should ever meet??
A cockatiel will eventually want to ride your shoulder and be with you whenever you are in the house as they are sociable and need stimulation from a friend. If you go to the trouble of building a large enclosure then 2 brothers will be a good idea and they will keep each other company....
I thought about locking the cats in their outside enclosure that will be attached to the house for a few hours each day; from maybe noon to evening, and letting the tiel out to fly around the house and be with me and then back in the atrium at night. I also have a 13 yr old dachshund. Do you think I would need to put her in the cat enclosure with them for those few hours each day while the tiel flies around? She thinks of the cats as sisters and loves them so she won't hurt them. They live in our house together now.

redfurmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Felicia Daniels
Welcome! Although females are known to be more cuddly, each bird is unique. I had a male tiel and he was a cuddlebug. So you just never know. I agree that a tiel should also have seed in their diet. Tiels are granivors- so seed eaters. And an all pellet diet can be too hard on their kidneys just as an all seed diet can be hard on their livers. I actually fed my tiel seeds and nutriberries. Also, tiels tend not to eat fruit- there are exceptions, but I would focus on vegetables instead. Some favs of my tiel were broccoli, cooked sweet potato, lettuce (not iceberg), snap peas and green beans.

If you're talking about a sand or pedicure perch, I think they're too rough on a tiel's feet. Some natural wood perches and some rope perches are good. You just have to watch with the rope perches to remove any loose threads. We have a lot of great vendors on here too that sell some amazing toys. Anything shredable tiels tend to like. Also, you tiel may or may not like the clip on bath. I had one and my tiel never went near it. He liked being misted instead, but again, each bird has their own likes and dislikes. Congrats on your soon to be tiel!
Awesome tips, thank you!! I'm actually leaning towards a DIY bird bath so that it's bigger and has character and will seem more natural to the tiel:pinksmile:

barry collins

Real Name
Barry
do you think 100 sq ft (say a 10x10 atrium) would be big enough for 24/7 use?
Yes this is plenty big enough. However i can still imagine cats sat around it all day licking their lips and worrying a bird.
Total seperation at least until you assess whether it is a problem.

redfurmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Felicia Daniels
Yes this is plenty big enough. However i can still imagine cats sat around it all day licking their lips and worrying a bird.
Total seperation at least until you assess whether it is a problem.
True. I may have to rethink the setup in the house for the first bit that the tiel is there

barry collins

Real Name
Barry
Yes dogs slightly better especialy an older lazy dog who wont snap and chase or make noise but don't try and force a friendship if it doesn't work out.

redfurmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Felicia Daniels
Yes dogs slightly better especialy an older lazy dog who wont snap and chase or make noise but don't try and force a friendship if it doesn't work out.
Great. In that case, I'll see how Lexi reacts to the tiel and until I'm sure they'll be OK with each other, no unsupervised time

barry collins

Real Name
Barry
Just keep in mind your new cockatiel is a baby and relies soley on you for protection, nutrition and wellbeing both mentally and physicaly. It will have come from a nice warm nest with brothers and sisters and a mom and dad to a strange place with monster humans, cats, dogs, strange noises, a new cage and long spells of loneliness especially on a night. If you remember all these things you will make better choices in the first weeks at home.

Ps. It's not unusual for a new seemingly tame baby bird to get really freaked out in a new first home. Don't blame the bird it takes time to get it right.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
An atrium would be fantastic, I wish I had the room for one! I think it's a good idea to keep your bird in the main part of the house. For the first few days while she is settling in, I would cover part of her cage to make her feel secure. It also may be helpful to have a small sleep cage in a quiet room. Your little bird is going to need about 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night.

As for seed mixes, Dr. Harvey's, Higgins Safflower Gold, and Avian Science No Sun are all good brands. Nutriberries are good too. I give my birds a few a day when they are out on their playstand. You can feed as much fresh veggies as the little bird will eat. Making sprouts for your baby is another easy way to offer something really healthy and fresh. A good way to start introducing new foods to your baby once he or she is settled in a bit, is to offer them by hand. Millet is a good training treat.

@sunnysmom had good advice about the perches. One of my tiels got bumblefoot from a ridge on a very popular type of Saftey Pumice Perch. High quality rope and Natural wood perches are the way to go. I like these: Amazon.com : NU Perch® (Medium) : Bird Perches : Pet Supplies

I would keep the cats away like you are planning, and the dog at first too while the bird is out. I have two little dogs that are afraid of my birds. They voluntarily leave the room when the birds are out. Even if you find the dog ignores the bird, I would never have them in the same room unsupervised.

I would also get your bird used to many things while he or she is young. (After he is comfortable with you of course). I would take her for car rides, take her to friends houses, take her outside in her carrier or small cage, etc. just remember to never force your little bird to do anything, but always try to make everything her choice.

Edit: To answer your questions, bleach is fine, but F10 is so much easier to use, and no rinsing! The cups that came with the cage are fine too. Just make sure to wash them well every day. If you get spare cups eventually, I would go with stainless.

Last edited:

redfurmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Felicia Daniels
An atrium would be fantastic, I wish I had the room for one! I think it's a good idea to keep your bird in the main part of the house. For the first few days while she is settling in, I would cover part of her cage to make her feel secure. It also may be helpful to have a small sleep cage in a quiet room. Your little bird is going to need about 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night.

As for seed mixes, Dr. Harvey's, Higgins Safflower Gold, and Avian Science No Sun are all good brands. Nutriberries are good too. I give my birds a few a day when they are out on their playstand. You can feed as much fresh veggies as the little bird will eat. Making sprouts for your baby is another easy way to offer something really healthy and fresh. A good way to start introducing new foods to your baby once he or she is settled in a bit, is to offer them by hand. Millet is a good training treat.

@sunnysmom had good advice about the perches. One of my tiels got bumblefoot from a ridge on a very popular type of Saftey Pumice Perch. High quality rope and Natural wood perches are the way to go. I like these: Amazon.com : NU Perch® (Medium) : Bird Perches : Pet Supplies

I would keep the cats away like you are planning, and the dog at first too while the bird is out. I have two little dogs that are afraid of my birds. They voluntarily leave the room when the birds are out. Even if you find the dog ignores the bird, I would never have them in the same room unsupervised.

I would also get your bird used to many things while he or she is young. (After he is comfortable with you of course). I would take her for car rides, take her to friends houses, take her outside in her carrier or small cage, etc. just remember to never force your little bird to do anything, but always try to make everything her choice.

Edit: To answer your questions, bleach is fine, but F10 is so much easier to use, and no rinsing! The cups that came with the cage are fine too. Just make sure to wash them well every day. If you get spare cups eventually, I would go with stainless.
Thanks so much!! We've actually decided to go with a male and are researching names and we've reworked our home's floor plan to accommodate both the cats/dog and bird so he can have nonstop flying time in a main part of the house and be able to receive plenty of attention from us without ever having to interact with the others:bliss:

And thanks for the supplies tips!! Also, we'll be living in the woods. What kind of flea meds would you recommend for him?