• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New carpet help

Dibaltic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrew
We will be moving in a few weeks, and the new house we are buying will be needing new carpeting. I was reading online about ways to keep my birds safe during this.

I was wondering if the newer carpet options are any safer than the ones that were out when the threads I was reading were created? I know the glue is definitely not safe still, no doubt.

I wont be able to keep our birds out of the house while this goes on. I am looking for ways to keep them safe. They will have their own room that is not getting carpeted. And I was reading to air out the carpet in the garage for a few days before installation.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The carpet needs to be rolled out flat in the garage to air out (for quite a few days). Just putting the "roll" in there does nothing.

I copied this from a really old post. You need to create a negative air flow environment for the birds.

To keep the smells away from the bird you can create a negative airflow. Putting a fan in the window of the birds room pointed "inward" and a fan in the window of the construction area pointed "outwards" will create a one way airflow. Fresh air from outside will be pulled into the bird room. The air will be drawn towards the construction area and exhausted "out" the window with the fan in it.

There are more effective ways to remove the dust. Freestanding filters do work but they do circulate the air in the room. Even though it cleans the air it still causes air turbulence in the room which causes the dust to blow around until it goes through the filter.

I used to build mini restaurants (food court areas in malls with 20 or so fast food kiosks). The rule was no smell from the restaurant was allowed to enter the food court. Can you imagine 20 kitchens all sending their smell into the court. My point is we had to have negative air flow "into" the restaurant at all times.

This is easily done by locating an exhaust fan (to the outside) near where the dustiest bird lives. This creates a negative air flow towards that birds area. The bigger the exhaust fan. The more effective it is. Always provide a source of fresh air for the fan to draw from so it does not suck furnace or water heater gases back down their chimneys. Locate the fresh air source near the other birds area and you have negative air flow. This method WILL eliminate the dust.

This is the same way they make "clean rooms".

Dibaltic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrew
I had actually just bought a fan for their window like that post mentioned, for when the carpet is installed. Woud it be best to keep that fan in the window blowing fresh air inwards, with the door closed while they're installing. And I can lay the roll unrolled in the garage as long as it needs to air it out.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you can air that carpet out for a week I would not be too worried about the rest personally.