• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Canary Tail Bobbing?

samj

Moving in
Hello again Everyone.

I recently got another canary, a female. For the first few days, I placed her cage in the same room as my other male canary. I know that I should have quarantined her in another room but I didn't expect there to be anything wrong with her until I noticed after a few days that her tail was bobbing while she sleeps or rests. I immediately moved her to another room and began to watch her closely. She is moderately active during the day and she eats well. She also chirps, especially when she hears my male canary singing but I noticed her voice is raspy when she chirps. This also worried me in addition to the fact that her tail bobs almost constantly when she is sleeping or resting. She also breathes very quickly while sleeping and yesterday, she seemed to be opening her beak to breathe but today she is breathing better. Other than this, she seems fine. I would have taken her to a vet but unfortunately there are no vets, let alone avian vets, anywhere close to where I live. So that is not an option for me. Judging from her symptoms, the tail bobbing and raspy voice, my first thought was that she had air sac mites or a lung infection. I am unsure though about how I could diagnose either one so I would really appreciate if you could guide me. There doesn't appear to be anything visible, such as mites, around her beak. In case it is air sac mites, how would I know for sure and what form of treatment should I follow if she has them?. Is there anything other than Ivermectin or Scatt that would help since it will be very difficult, if not impossible, for me to obtain these where I live. Would an insecticide like tetramethrin spray work? Finally, is it possible that my other bird could have been infected in the case of air sac mites? I know they are transmitted through the air but the birds were in the same room about 3 meters apart. My male canary seems okay now and is still singing a few days after I quarantined the female but how long would it take for symptoms to show if he is infected? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm not familiar with canary's, but don't give or spray her any insecticide!! Where did you get her? They may be able to help or at least direct you to the vet they use. I hope shes gonna be OK :hug8:

samj

Moving in
Thank you Birdbabe for your reply. I got her from a pet store but unfortunately, the pet stores in my country are not very respectable. I've looked up several vets but they are far from where I live and none of them specialize in birds. None of the pet stores here consult vets and so getting a bird here involves a lot of luck. Luckily, the first bird I got was healthy but its sad that my new bird is not.

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
Might Google air sac mites.

samj

Moving in
Thank you for the links Birdiemarie, I will check them out.