• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new caique

jazden

Moving in
Real Name
john
Hi, I'm a newbie with parrots. Would like to ask if it is ok to put a caique and a meyers in the same cage? Both are 2 months old. Cage is about 2x2x2ft. Any comments is welcome. Thanks

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I would not recommend it for a couple reasons.
1. That size cage is the minimum size for a Meyers and is not big enough for an active Caique. I would recommend a 24in x 36in for the Meyers and a little bigger if possible for the Caique.
2. Both Meyers and Caiques are know to be aggressive towards other birds. While it MIGHT work while they are so young, as they mature you are risking serious injury or death to one or both parrots.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I forgot to say Welcome to the avenue.

Also going to tag some Caique and Meyers owners. @Tim ,@Laurie , @gibsongrrrl

jazden

Moving in
Real Name
john
Hi.. Thanks for the reply.. I did not realize that i have posted twice. Sorry

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I would not put them in the same cage regardless of the size. And I would recommend a larger cage for both of them. My Meyer's has a 23 x 32 dometop and uses all of it. Once you put lots of toys and perches in it's really not a ton of space.
Welcome to AA! :)

Cassiopejaz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Welcome to AA!

I have a Meyers and a Caique, 2 lovely parrots on their own, but they aint a great combination.
Meyers tend to be aggressive thowards others Birds, while Caique like to play rought.

I doesnt say that you cant have both, but not in same cage and most likely not out of the Cage at same time.

You need bigger cages, and the Caique need a pretty big One cuz they use Every inch of it.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I agree.....separate cages will be safer.
If your caique will be in the cage a lot, find a cage you like, then buy one size bigger.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hi, and welcome! I think you're going to see a trend here. That cage is definitely too small for even one of those species, and both species can be aggressive to other birds. I keep my two caiques in separate cages for peace of mind. They play together great, but supervised.