• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Caique owner

deemo

Meeting neighbors
Hi all

Not a stranger to birds, Have owned an African grey and cockatoo in the past years ago, Finally decided to get a few birds and since last week i purchased a Albino quaker and a moustache parakeet and 2 days back i bought a BH Caique.

I bought the Caique from a guy who raised it since it was 6 months old, its now about 2. It has been socialized with many other large parrots, they would share a large stand daily, and would play with its previous owner all the time.

The Caique will step up onto my finger without any issues but as soon as he gets on he wants to get off, He will accept treats from me also, but that's about it, Hes very skittish and does not let me touch him, Biting wise, I don't think this bird is capable of biting YET.

What can i do to make him accept me faster? I have him in the living room where my kids etc are always around.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
ALl caiques have ADHT. he will not stay still for more than ten seconds, until he reaches full maturity at about or six years

The caique WILL wrestle with your other little ballerina birds, hurting them

Its all fun and games, until it suddenly becomes blood and emergency vet

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Honestly, I think it will take time. I understand your desire to want him to be comfortable with you as fast as possible, but it's just not how birds "roll". If you've only had him for a few days, it makes complete sense to me that he'd be skittish at this point. Just give it time and reinforce the good behaviors with praise and treats. I would also supervise any out-of-cage time with the other birds very closely, to avoid any aggression-related problems. Hopefully others will contribute here also.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It sounds like you are adding a lot of birds to your flock very quickly. 3 in one week if I am reading that correctly. Your birds will need sometime to adjust to all of the change. Stepping up on day two is good progress, but allow the birds to get used to you at their own pace.