• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cage

MotherOfBirbs

Meeting neighbors
DC435AB2-148C-48A6-80E2-C6E138340ECB.jpeg 3338568E-BAB7-4A10-A339-147B111829A0.jpeg Picked up a new cage for Annie. It’s the same type my other girls(cockatiels) have. While I was moving her toys over I swear she was giving me the “please don’t get rid of me look”
I think she likes it. I just hope she still wants to come out and hang with the rest of us :wideyed:
I’m sure she’s just getting adjusted and comfortable with it.
Also I’ve found all my fids take naps about mid/late afternoon so looks like it’s nap time too :roflmao:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Not a big fan of the cage myself, but Annie seems alright with it at least! :)

My biggest suggestion would be to replace the wooden dowels with more natural perches and maybe put another perch in the back of the cage?

I also see a bunch of zip ties. Does the cage not stay together very well?

MotherOfBirbs

Meeting neighbors
Not a big fan of the cage myself, but Annie seems alright with it at least! :)

My biggest suggestion would be to replace the wooden dowels with more natural perches and maybe put another perch in the back of the cage?

I also see a bunch of zip ties. Does the cage not stay together very well?
What’s wrong with the cage? I have the same type for my other two. I zip tie for double protection always have. The two dowel perches are in because I could not afford more yet. She has one natural wooden, one with a smooth and rough side as I noticed she conditions her beak and another of a different size. So 3 all together of varying sizes. Once I get more to spend for her she will absolutely get more perches and toys

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
View attachment 310248 View attachment 310247 Picked up a new cage for Annie. It’s the same type my other girls(cockatiels) have. While I was moving her toys over I swear she was giving me the “please don’t get rid of me look”
I think she likes it. I just hope she still wants to come out and hang with the rest of us :wideyed:
I’m sure she’s just getting adjusted and comfortable with it.
Also I’ve found all my fids take naps about mid/late afternoon so looks like it’s nap time too :roflmao:

Lol....I can set my watch to bird nap time. Roughly same time every afternoon. Unless we get company then they stay awake and watch over things. But ready for bed earlier without nap.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
She's beautiful! I'd bet she'll use every inch of that cage once she gets used to it.
And yeah, Tibs does the 1/2pm nap time like clockwork.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What’s wrong with the cage? I have the same type for my other two. I zip tie for double protection always have. The two dowel perches are in because I could not afford more yet. She has one natural wooden, one with a smooth and rough side as I noticed she conditions her beak and another of a different size. So 3 all together of varying sizes. Once I get more to spend for her she will absolutely get more perches and toys
I'm not a fan of the legs of the cage as they are an easy hazard for birds getting caught. I'm also not a fan of scroll work on cages... same reason - although more primarily toes than anything else. Same with the loops that keep the door from swinging into the cage. In the grand scheme of things, it may not be that big of an issue at all. I try to avoid those features on cages when I can, although sometimes it's hard to.

Zip tie for double protection... sounds good but also makes me wonder how flimsy those cages are...

Any chance you live in an area where you could cut down some branches and make your own perches? Using trees away from city population/roadways. If you have a cell phone, you could download a plant ID program if you aren't sure of the type of trees in your areas. Then, with some bird safe hardware, you could make your own perches!

Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

Parrot, Birds, Perches: Bird Perch. Bird Safe natural wood perches. Parrots Supplies.

If your birds aren't afraid of foliage, fresh branches can also be a great enrichment for them!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
So roomy!! I want to upgrade Tootie's cage too, but he's in no rush, I think he enjoys the security of a space that's not oversized for now, though I'm sure that will change as he gets more comfortable with us. We've also got at least one dowel rod in each cage, at least for now. We've also got natural branch ones and flat perches. I did find that the big tree in our yard is maple, and Tootie loves to destroy it..one of the only toys he'll touch!

MotherOfBirbs

Meeting neighbors
So roomy!! I want to upgrade Tootie's cage too, but he's in no rush, I think he enjoys the security of a space that's not oversized for now, though I'm sure that will change as he gets more comfortable with us. We've also got at least one dowel rod in each cage, at least for now. We've also got natural branch ones and flat perches. I did find that the big tree in our yard is maple, and Tootie loves to destroy it..one of the only toys he'll touch!
I think I’m going to pick up some flat pitches for her! More natural branches too

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I love the pineapple toy! :)
Don´t throw the dowel in the bin, keep them. You can wrap them in vet wrap to create more texture for a cheap solution to creating better perches, or you can even repurpose them to make the base for rebuildable bird toys or even a bird swing. They also make a good support for a growing plant/tree ;)

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
You can also whittle/ shave them down in some spots to create different widths. That’s what I did, because I like how the dowels go the whole width of the cage so my (for now) unflighted birds have at least one perch going the whole way across :)