• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Cage Ideas

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
So I am shopping for a new cage for Aries. I want him to have more room when he has to be in there so I was looking at Flight cages and the like. What are you all using for larger cages? Right now he has one of the play top cages like this
canvas.png

I would like something maybe twice this size or close to it. Nothing so far that I have looked at has really hit the spot yet though.

@Lodah what kind of cage was it that you bought for Pilo last year? I looked up the thread but didn't see the brand. I would like something like that but maybe a tad smaller to what you bought.

Any input would be much appreciated!!! I am donating several things to a rescue later this month so would like to get a new cage purchased soon so that I can donate his current cage also.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll second the Loro. My Dusky Conure has this and it is spacious. I don't use the peaked roof.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
In my opinion flight cages are perfect for a conure. They're a decent size and have great bar spacing. We have a double flight cage although I use it as a single flight cage right now due to space. We then put play tops on the top. Over the years I've collected a few different ones so I like that I can change it up with perches and such up there so its not always the standard dowel rod.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
So I am shopping for a new cage for Aries. I want him to have more room when he has to be in there so I was looking at Flight cages and the like. What are you all using for larger cages? Right now he has one of the play top cages like this
View attachment 259763

I would like something maybe twice this size or close to it. Nothing so far that I have looked at has really hit the spot yet though.

@Lodah what kind of cage was it that you bought for Pilo last year? I looked up the thread but didn't see the brand. I would like something like that but maybe a tad smaller to what you bought.

Any input would be much appreciated!!! I am donating several things to a rescue later this month so would like to get a new cage purchased soon so that I can donate his current cage also.
Will upload the link later when I get home! :)

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My first conure cage was an HQ Flight Cage. Still have it! (not currently in use, though...) They've gone up in price since I first purchased it. (and mine was second hand, brand new!) Compared to most cages on the market for conures, flight cages are worth it! They might not be as high quality, but for the same amount or less, you get more space!

My second (and third) conure cage was a YML's. Not particularly crazy about the YML cages, but they're not bad, either.

There's also the Petco You & Me Mink Cage (whatever they're calling it...) Buy the cage when it's on sale and if possible, use a coupon!

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Wow these are all really good options!! Thanks to all of you for the suggestions!!! We are going to measure the space tonight and maybe rearrange things a bit. I narrowed it down to 4 :lol: the Parrot Escape corner cage, the kings corner cages, the Loro, and the Petco You & Me. Now I just have to get through all of the reviews and choose one. I really like the corner cages they seem to take less room even though they are huge.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm not too big of a fan of corner cages. I simply don't like the double trays at the bottom and, unless you design it just right, they typically only fit in corners. Some people love them, though! Regardless, even if you do go with a corner cage, be sure to account for the space required to pull out those trays! ;)

Which reminds me, that even A&E has corner cages available for the littles. This is one that I was actually considering, but only because there were two available near me. In the end, I went with a walk in! :D

Aviaries

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
even if you do go with a corner cage, be sure to account for the space required to pull out those trays! ;)
Thanks for the tip!! I hadn't even thought about that. I have also noticed that in some of the corner cage pictures the tray area seems to have pretty good sized gaps where the two trays meet in the middle. I worry that if that is really the case and not just poor assembly Aries could get a foot stuck in the gap.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

Do you have that cage? Description states horizontal side bars, vertical front and back but looks like it's vertical on every panel.
I dont but i was thinking about getting one. Im really trying to budget for more 45 x 30 x 74 cages even for the singles

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Thanks for the tip!! I hadn't even thought about that. I have also noticed that in some of the corner cage pictures the tray area seems to have pretty good sized gaps where the two trays meet in the middle. I worry that if that is really the case and not just poor assembly Aries could get a foot stuck in the gap.

You should probably see if you can find some corner cages locally so you can better inspect them. That way, you have a better idea before purchasing! :)

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
There is no gap at the grill for small tootsies to get caught! Plus each tray fits standard size newspaper! That’s my one anyway! Plus easy to go inside and clean! :)

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
A&E has come out with a new larger flight cage...

MA3824FL Platinum - 38''x24''x67'' Elegant Flight Cage

• Exterior Dimensions: 38"x24"x67"
• Interior Height: 38"
• Bar Spacing: 1/2"
I have the medium size of this cage (32"x21"x61") and would definitely recommend it! It is a very nice looking cage, is quite sturdy, and works well. My only complaint is the instructions to put it together, as they were pretty much nonexistent lol. If they had this size when I was looking for a cage, I would have bought this one.

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
There is no gap at the grill for small tootsies to get caught! Plus each tray fits standard size newspaper! That’s my one anyway! Plus easy to go inside and clean! :)
That is great and I just ordered the same one today. I like every thing about it so lets hope that Aries does too!! I'lll post pic's after it comes in and is set up. Thanks to everyone for their input!

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
So yay his cage came in! Here is a pic of the set up so far. I really need to purchase some more perches with the size of this thing I have 3 non dowel perches in there but I don't think that will be enough. Guess I will need to do more shopping (twists arm). Aries is getting use to it and he loves that he can fly around. If I can get a pic with him in it I will post, he hates my cell phone so tends to attack it lol.
IMG_0719.JPG