• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New budgie

cherryB33

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Korbyn
I'm a new owner of a budgie. I've had her for a few months now and bonding is tough. I've studied as much as I can and been very patient with her. But no matter what I do she's still scared to come close to me. I need some advise. I don't know what to do now.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Can you tell us a bit about where her cage is, if there are other animals in the house, how much time you spend with her, etc.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
:welcome2: Keep reading the forums here on bonding, and you will learn so much... I sure did!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Do research & be patient. Try millet as most of them will overcome fear once they taste it.

cherryB33

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Korbyn
Welcome to the forum. Can you tell us a bit about where her cage is, if there are other animals in the house, how much time you spend with her, etc.
She's next to the window, just a small dog, and I try to interact with her daily but she just freaks out whenever I rest my hand in the cage

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
She's next to the window, just a small dog, and I try to interact with her daily but she just freaks out whenever I rest my hand in the cage

It’s important to go at the bird’s pace. Take a step back from what you are doing and instead sit by the cage while you talk softly and calmly to her. And you can occasionally drop treats in her food bowl. That way she can start to associate you and your hand with good things, like yummy foods. I’ve also found clickers to be a great help in training/taming. You may find Shinobi’s post from this thread below a great help, I sure did.

Is it to late for me and my lovebirds? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Does she like millet?

Maybe it would be better to see if she'd be willing to eat millet through the cage bars rather than invading her own 'personal space' to try and interact with her. That is, allow her to come to you if she's willing.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
I agree with @SquawksNibbles , it can take some time.

My brother got a 1 year old budgie last December and named him Yoshi. One thing he always did was hang around Yoshi whether he's doing homework or playing on his computer. He spoke calmly around him and kept sudden moments to a minimum.

After a couple of weeks, he also started taking some of Yoshi's favorite seeds and fed them to him individually. He simply held the seed within reach of him and waited. Sure enough, when Yoshi knew he was safe, he attempted to grab for the seed. There were times when he didn't go for it, and when that happened, my bro simply backed off and tried another time.

We waited for another month or so, and then I tried to see if he would go for seeds on my palm for a change. I approached Yoshi the same way my brother did with tbe single seeds.

These took a lot of time, but a lot of it was my brother simply hanging arpund Yoshi whenver he can. The way i see it, the goal is to get your budgie to associate you and your hand to safety. The second he begins to freak out (which I assume youd recognize by now-) back off, then try again later.

This is him now with his new friend, we just recently got them loving their new pellets :)
20180710_204043.jpg

(Yoshi's the green one, yellow is Bowie)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
They're beautiful! Good job on the patience.