• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New budgie (+Really important questions!)

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Yes. I have made my mind, and I had my bird help me pick them out. Nua has a new friend who is about 2 months younger than her (so not too much of an age gap) and her mothering skills have kicked in! At first, she was trying to feed her the first second her head popped out of the box. I was worried that she was gonna suffocate her new friend, but thankfully everything went alright.

Concerns about the new budgie

1. The new budgie is very nice, but Nua seems to be screaming a lot more. Idk if she's territorial or something.
  2. I really CANNOT quarantine them in any sense of the word (due to cost of another suitable cage for a budgie), but I got them from a healthy source. Did I mess up by not quarantining them?
Alright, enough of me talking and typing. Here are the photos!

(1st Photo her first time entering the cage, they were playing on the couch until I decided that the new baby needs some time to relax instead of getting endlessly preened by Nua)
(2nd Photo, Nua being a bodyguard for her new friend who seems to be attacked my a hooman!)
(3rd and 4th Photo, they relaxed enough so I can get clear photos)

Edit: Before I went to sleep I heard a thud, and poor ol Minty (the new bird) was on the floor. It was because of Nua's territorial behavior. I am putting her into a smaller cage since I don't want this behavior to persist when the poor birds is trying to sleep. I think this cage is suitable since she is still a small bird, and we let her out often. Any tips on trying to eventually cohabit them? (Nua is aggressive during bed time for her, even if she's had 14 hours of sleep)

Last edited:

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Made an edit, to the post, I really hope Nua and minty get along with eachother

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
From what I have read putting them together into Nua’s cage is not a good idea. I would keep them in separate cages for awhile. When you do put them together rearrange the cage. Move the perches and put in new toys so that it will be like they are not being put into Nua’s personal space but there joint space.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Cute birdies with cute names. There can be hidden viruses or diseases in the new bird. Hopefully not as quarantine was not done.
Your resident bird is jealous so give Nua extra attention.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Yes, since you didn't quarantine, it's really too late to worry over that, so hopefully Minty is a healthy one.
My suggestions are - don't try to rush them into the same cage to live together, Nua is excited about the new baby, but they should be intro'd carefully and with you supervising. When you get home from school, you can offer out of cage time again and let them play together, as Minty will have at least had one day to settle in. If she seems very nervous, just allow her to get used to her new surroundings, and resume later. If you watch Minty's patterns - she will "tell" you when it's time to cohabitate. They're both SO adorable! And congratulations! :congrats5:

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Yes, since you didn't quarantine, it's really too late to worry over that, so hopefully Minty is a healthy one.
My suggestions are - don't try to rush them into the same cage to live together, Nua is excited about the new baby, but they should be intro'd carefully and with you supervising. When you get home from school, you can offer out of cage time again and let them play together, as Minty will have at least had one day to settle in. If she seems very nervous, just allow her to get used to her new surroundings, and resume later. If you watch Minty's patterns - she will "tell" you when it's time to cohabitate. They're both SO adorable! And congratulations! :congrats5:
I noticed that the new bird likes to stay on the floor, and when I come back from school today I'm gonna pick up some wooden shavings to fill up her temporary cage since she loves the floor so much! Is this normal behavior in baby budgies (She's about 5-7 weeks old) (She also doesn't really know how to fly up for more than a couple inches up into the air and requires help from me to get up onto her food bowl)

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Cute birdies with cute names. There can be hidden viruses or diseases in the new bird. Hopefully not as quarantine was not done.
Your resident bird is jealous so give Nua extra attention.
They had their monthly vet checkup at the store yesterday, and all baby budgies were set healthy. I did notice liquid poop yesterday when she/he first exited her little travel box. I called the store, and they called their vet. She pooped liquid yesterday due to the stress of travelling. Other than that

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I noticed that the new bird likes to stay on the floor, and when I come back from school today I'm gonna pick up some wooden shavings to fill up her temporary cage since she loves the floor so much! Is this normal behavior in baby budgies (She's about 5-7 weeks old) (She also doesn't really know how to fly up for more than a couple inches up into the air and requires help from me to get up onto her food bowl)
I don't really know if that is normal or not... but if she can't fly well, that would explain her penchant for the floor. I would make sure she had food and water on the floor in little bowls in case she cannot get to the bowls - wow, that's worrisome that she needs your help to get up to her bowl!

Can't wait to hear an update on how they are doing when you get home!

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
I don't really know if that is normal or not... but if she can't fly well, that would explain her penchant for the floor. I would make sure she had food and water on the floor in little bowls in case she cannot get to the bowls - wow, that's worrisome that she needs your help to get up to her bowl!

Can't wait to hear an update on how they are doing when you get home!
They're doing well, and I bought some wooden shavings since she loves the floor so much, and while I was gone, my parents saw my budgie fly up onto the perch, I guess she/he was lazy. But she's not that great of a flyer, so I didn't clip her wings, and my parents are fine with flighted birds now (Yay) Other than that, the cage is really quite small, but I think it's okay since he/she is a baby. Here are some photos of the new cage setup

I did decide to put in wood shavings because he/she is a clumsy bird and likes to be on the floor in general

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
The babies are clumsy at that age. When I brought my babies home at that age I put the perches closer to the bottom of the cage. When my little baby met the older baby it cried for food and the older baby fed him. It doesn’t take very long for them to figure things out and be less clumsy. 6 weeks is very young. They are “just” weaned at that age.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wood shavings on the cage floor is not good. They can harbor mold if they get wet. If you are concerned about comfort while bird is on the floor put down a nice towel and then cover it with newspaper. That way it is a soft landing. Paper products are the safest thing to line the cage with.
Winged Wisdom Magazine. Bird Cage Liners: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Be careful, they can crawl under fabric and suffocate.