• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New budgie owner

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes if you would take a photo of cere in window light without a flash we could see if its pink, lavender or white.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Welcome to the Ave! Congrats on your new baby. Love the budgies, they are great birds!!

Butterflygirl

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
Thank you all for the warm welcomes! I'm having so much fun getting to know Cosmo :) I will definitely take some more pictures tomorrow in natural light and post them.

Butterflygirl

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
20180811_075505.jpg I just took this picture. Unfortunately its rainy here but I opened the curtains all the way to try and let some more light in. The color of the cere on my screen is purple and is what the cere looks like in person.

Also...Cosmo was dipping his whole head in his water dish. Is that how they drink or should I fill his birdbath to see if he wants to get in?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Cere on budgies.jpg Much better. Important to remember he is young and has not had first molt so cere color can change a bit. I still say male. If you notice on the chart the males are in the top two rows and the lavender color does not have white rings around the nostrils as in female. So you bird is a male!

Nidarosis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maja
Welcome!
Cosmo is a absolute cutie! I don't think you need to take him/her to the vet if he/she seems fine. It will just cause more stress if he/she is not used to traveling etc.
If he/she doesn't give of any sign of being sick at all then it's fine not to go, but if you worry about something then you should of course visit.
My petshop/vet offered free check-ups two weeks after purchase date, but I didn't end up using it, because my bird seemed to be fine fine. Eating normally and so on!

You can always go have a check on him at a later point when he may be a bit more comfortable with it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Have you read about the importance of wellness checks in birds, especially when they are new? I don't even understand why this is an issue. Birds can and do hide illnesses. Telling a new budgie person NOT to take a new bird to the vet for a brief check up just because the bird appears to be fine is not the best education. Of course the decision is up to the original poster.

It just makes sense to be absolutely sure that there are no problems with your Cosmo's health, and that your bird is as healthy and happy as possible. There are plenty of other ways to save money on bird care without sacrificing his health. Tapping into your resourceful sides will help you keep Cosmo's well-being your top priority.

Bird Health Exam - Association of Avian Veterinarians

Last edited:

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Hi everyone! I'm so happy to have found this forum! I just bought home a beautiful budgie today. His/her name is Cosmo. Right now we are giving Cosmo space so he/she can get familiar with his/her new home. When should I take Cosmo to the vet to be checked over? Also....can anybody tell me if Cosmo is a boy or girl? Thank you!! View attachment 283487
Congrats on adopting lil Cosmo! Are there other birbs in your house, or is he the singular cutie? Either way, you'll have lotsa fun with this feller once he/she gets used to you.
I recommend you put him in the living room. Some people go for putting them in quiet rooms, but putting them into a busy room will frighten them at first, but will be beneficial in the end because the bird will get used to movement and noise peaks around the house.

Butterflygirl

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
So I'm confident calling Cosmo a boy. Thanks Lady Jane for the cere chart! I will definitely take Cosmo to the vet! Hes my little buddy and I will do everything to keep him healthy and happy :)

Cosmo is my only bird and the first bird I've ever owned. He is in the family room which is the heart of the action and he doesn't seem to mind the craziness :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Butterflygirl you doing a wonderful job with him. Please keep us updated with your progress and more photos.

Reactions: LSA