• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Budgie! Help with mutation pls?

tulatarantula

Sitting on the front steps
Just brought home a friend for our solo budgie. This is Link! Can someone please help me determine what color mutation this is and the likely gender? I'm thinking definite male based on no iris rings, low baby bars, and bright pink fleshy cere, but since I've never seen this mutation before I could be way off :) Body is grayish green but very very light, it seems to want to come through as blue-ish on the photos but is definitely a greenish. Thank you!!!

Attachments

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Looks like a yellowface greywing

tulatarantula

Cool! All of the budgies in the enclosure were grayish or olive, maybe siblings? Do you think I’m right that this is a boy then? Google is showing me that greywing isn’t one of the mutations that affects cere color.

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Very beautiful and definitely male! :)

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Cool! All of the budgies in the enclosure were grayish or olive, maybe siblings? Do you think I’m right that this is a boy then? Google is showing me that greywing isn’t one of the mutations that affects cere color.
Yup its a male and if they all looked the same odds are good they are from the same clutch

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Just brought home a friend for our solo budgie. This is Link! Can someone please help me determine what color mutation this is and the likely gender? I'm thinking definite male based on no iris rings, low baby bars, and bright pink fleshy cere, but since I've never seen this mutation before I could be way off :) Body is grayish green but very very light, it seems to want to come through as blue-ish on the photos but is definitely a greenish. Thank you!!!

FYI, iris rings and baby bars have nothing to do with determining the gender of a budgie. :) It's all based on the cere.

My initial thought is that he is a Yellowface I, Grey, Greywing..... but I do have my doubts. The pics are ok, but if you could take some more that aren't washed out in direct light, or have shadows, or under fluorescent lights, and try to get the colour as natural as possible. I have a feeling there might be some more to this mutation, like a violet factor.

ShyEmbers

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jodie
FYI, iris rings and baby bars have nothing to do with determining the gender of a budgie. :) It's all based on the cere.

My initial thought is that he is a Yellowface I, Grey, Greywing..... but I do have my doubts. The pics are ok, but if you could take some more that aren't washed out in direct light, or have shadows, or under fluorescent lights, and try to get the colour as natural as possible. I have a feeling there might be some more to this mutation, like a violet factor.
I think PoukieBear has hit it on the head here. That's exactly what I am seeing. 100% Male Yellow Face, grey, greywing.

tulatarantula

Sorry, I meant his (lack of) iris rings and bars lead me to believe he's just a baby and that's why his cere is pink, not that he's a male based on those :)

Here are some more photos. It's really difficult to get natural light photos that aren't too dark, as i have a north-facing house, but in these he's perched next to our (somewhat disheveled lol) recessive pied male.

Attachments

ShyEmbers

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jodie
I think your Rec pied is actually a hen. Or at least looks it in the pics.
But the little one is 100% Looks to be a grey, greywing Yellow face as stated as well and he's around 6 to 4 months of age. Gorgeous birds!

tulatarantula

I think your Rec pied is actually a hen. Or at least looks it in the pics.
But the little one is 100% Looks to be a grey, greywing Yellow face as stated as well and he's around 6 to 4 months of age. Gorgeous birds!
Thank you!! I am in awe of how pretty Link is - never saw one with colors like his before, especially not just sitting in a cage at Petsmart! My family and I went in for dog food, noticed him, and my husband immediately said "I want that one." lol.

I had posted pictures of Pixel (the recessive pied) on here a couple of months ago when we brought him home and after some back and forth, it was determined he was most likely male because that color mutation throws off the typical cere colors? So far though, we've only had Pixel a short time so I haven't had the opportunity to see him (her?) go "broody" or anything like that. Pixel does a lot of head bobbing, chattering, hates me (prefers my husband only) and is very VERY cage aggressive. Seriously, vicious. Hand tame for my husband, but vicious for anyone else.

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Pixel does appear female to me. The cage aggression sounds like female behavior(typically) also, both genders will do head bobbing and chattering. So judging by the pic I'd lean on Pixel being female. Both are stunning birds. :)

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Pixel is definitely a girl :)

Link is so pretty! He reminds me of my Buddy.

I still think there is a violet factor in Link, since the grey colour isn't quite as grey as it would normally be. :)

ShyEmbers

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jodie
Thank you!! I am in awe of how pretty Link is - never saw one with colors like his before, especially not just sitting in a cage at Petsmart! My family and I went in for dog food, noticed him, and my husband immediately said "I want that one." lol.

I had posted pictures of Pixel (the recessive pied) on here a couple of months ago when we brought him home and after some back and forth, it was determined he was most likely male because that color mutation throws off the typical cere colors? So far though, we've only had Pixel a short time so I haven't had the opportunity to see him (her?) go "broody" or anything like that. Pixel does a lot of head bobbing, chattering, hates me (prefers my husband only) and is very VERY cage aggressive. Seriously, vicious. Hand tame for my husband, but vicious for anyone else.
Wow! You're lucky you've bagged one who would just so quickly say yes! I get 'Don't you have enough' hahah! Maybe it's because you haven't got 7 budgies though. He's definitely a gem though. A good find.
You are correct in believing male recessive pied do have differing colours to the other varieties. Usually adult male recessive peid remain that baby shade of pink. So since your Pixel (wonderful names by the way) is whitish/blue it would seem she's actually a hen.

As the others say behaviorally it isn't an accurate sexing method. I don't know why people mention that as a way to sex. No matter the sex both are beautiful and should get along either way male-male or male-female pairings are recommended anyway. Either way they both have a partner in crime, hey?