• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New budgie got some questions?

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
hey guys so i had a question. i got a new budgie today. is it good if the bird comes to you by itself? i just put my arm out a bit not even to his belly but he follows me and goes up my arm and onto my shoulder all by himself. is this good? i wasnt forcing him either.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is amazing to have a budgie climb on to you the first day! Where did you get the bird from? Do you have other birds?

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
That is amazing to have a budgie climb on to you the first day! Where did you get the bird from? Do you have other birds?
he was a handfed budgie! from sissy'sbirdcolony :) i only have one budgie for now but after a while he climbed onto my arm and up he went to my shoulder! i put him down just to make sure he didnt do this in the spur of the moment and he kept following and climbed up onto my arm himself!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nothing wrong with that. Sounds like he is very tame and loving. It could be the honeymoon period and it's possible he may become less willing to climb on you but I sort of think he will remain very sweet.
What is his name and how old is he?

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Nothing wrong with that. Sounds like he is very tame and loving. It could be the honeymoon period and it's possible he may become less willing to climb on you but I sort of think he will remain very sweet.
What is his name and how old is he?
ah yes i read about the honeymoon period on the training session her on AA. is there any way to keep the bird willing to step up onto my arm? and no name yet im deciding between a few names i like haha :)

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
What a wonderful bird ! If he was hand raised, then he already has a trust in humans, and in you. Take advantage of that trust and you can create a deep bond between the two of you. Spend as much time with him as possible, give him lots of treats while he's out of the cage, and find some toys that he likes to play with and that you can participate with too. :)

Show us some pictures when you get a change! What's his name?

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
What a wonderful bird ! If he was hand raised, then he already has a trust in humans, and in you. Take advantage of that trust and you can create a deep bond between the two of you. Spend as much time with him as possible, give him lots of treats while he's out of the cage, and find some toys that he likes to play with and that you can participate with too. :)

Show us some pictures when you get a change! What's his name?
sure thing ill post a photo once i get a picture! im either going for honey, winky, or hoppy :budgie8:

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
also another question if hes preening on top of my shoulder does that mean hes comfortable? hes also been beak grinding. can beak grinding sometimes mean that theyre irritated? or just that theyre happy?

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Preening and beak grinding are both good signs. It means that he's comfortable and happy.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That was a breeder I was considering before I got my Sammy.
Anyway it sounds like you got a well socialized, tame, happy little budgie. Just keep doing what you are doing. And talk to him a lot. Budgies love to be talked to, and it will help him learn to talk as well (he's probably too young to actually talk yet, but it's a great way to bond and make him more interested in talking when he's a little older).