• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Budgie Advice!

Pumpkin0926

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sylvia
Hi, all!

I got a new budgie yesterday from my local pet store! I am pretty excited.

Few questions/concerns:

1. I've read that budgies take a while to adjust to a new space. I was wondering if the cage I set up is good enough? (see image(s) below) It is near a window, up against a wall. Also, temperature-wise. What is the best, most comfortable for budgies? My apartment is pretty warm during the summertime now, but I have A/C in the kitchen and a mini fan I can use next to the cage as well.

2. I have read that budgies do take a while to adjust and can be quite scared in a new space. Mine is pretty terrified I can tell. It has chirped a little bit when playing other budgie noises. I was able to pet it a little bit and didn't freak out (though I think I shouldn't have done that.. :( ) I always try to speak to it and sing a bit. I play some relaxing music for it every now and then. I try to cover the cage at night as well or during the day when I see it is more nervous or scared at times. What are some things I can do to help it adjust it and gain my trust? I have read into this as well, but direct advice might be more helpful!

3. You probably have noticed I say "it." I am not entirely sure which gender my budgie is. I would love to know (or at least have an idea) so I can name it! Which gender do you think it is? I believe based on research it may be a female. See images below!

Thanks everyone! I look forward to spending some time and loving my new budgie! cage.jpg bird1.jpg bird2.jpg

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
:hello1:Welcome to the avenue! Your budgie is so cute! I would suggest leaving your bird alone for 3ish days except when changing its food and water. After that, you could start to talk to it and stuff. I think playing music and other budgie sounds was a good idea. When you can sense that your budgie is used to it's new home (which should happen in 2-4 weeks I think) you can try to train it to step up. A tip to use when doing this is to use food/treats like millet which I see you have. When it gets used to stepping up it has gained your trust and you can work towards other things like tricks if you'd like. In the future, you may want to look for a bigger cage, like Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Flight Cage, White : Bird Cage : Pet Supplies. Usually pet stores misinform new owners about cage size. Although 18"x18"x18" is the minimum space for a standard budgie, it's always better to go larger. The top would also be better when flat because fancy topped cages are just a waste of space as the bird cannot utilize that space for flying. Although I've never had a bird, I think it'll be easier to clean a flat-topped cage. You can also transform it into a play-top area. Some other things you should add are fruits and vegetables (don't feed it avocados, drinks with caffeine, alcohol, etc.). After you get a bigger cage, you can also add more toys. We have a lot of vendors on this forum that sell handmade toys and even parts that you can use to make your own toys! Here's a list of them: List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum. Personally, I would remove the furry sleeping hut because it's hard to clean if your budgie ever pooped in it and there might be some loose threads that may get its feet stuck and cause foot problems or even fatal blood loss. Your budgie is probably 3-6 months old right now because the barring on it's head is still halfway on. Here's a guide for age: 3 Easy Ways to Tell the Age of a Budgie because it's still pretty young, it may be difficult to decide on the gender. @Lady Jane is a great budgie owner who may be able to help with your other questions. @Zara might know more helpful people to tag. Hope you and your budgie enjoy this forum!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hello Sylvia and congrats on your new baby budgie. For accuracy sake on gender ID its best to wait until first molt. The cere color can dramatically change.

@aqualover9 has done a good job of giving advice. I agree that you should remove the sleep hut right away. Anything with fibers, especially fuzzy ones can be ingested by a bird and over time these fibers will block the birds crop. It is a slow death. Flight cages are better for a bird and not all that expensive now. They have more room to stretch their wings and play with toys. The one you have now will be fine for a while. Try to replace the dowel perches that come with the cage with natural wood perches or rope perches.

You want to put another food dish up higher where you can begin feeding fresh veggies. Since the bird came from a pet store where veggies are usually not offered this may take time and patience. We usually make a simple chop with veggies like broccoli, kale, carrots at first. Make sure a feed lots of the orange/yellow veggies for Vit. A. I will give you some links to what I think will be educational for you.

We have wonderful toy vendors here that make safe toys. The ones sold in a pet store are not usually bird safe. @Mizzely specializes in toys for the little birds.

You want to make the room where your little one will fly safe. Are the flight feathers cut? Cant tell from the photo. Some of the things you can do are to cover any reflective item like windows, mirrors and even a fish take. Turn off any fans. A young bird flying in your home should be observed at all times. They can fall behind furniture, land on a sofa pillow - you just don't know. Make sure everyone in you home knows the bird is out and doors should remain closed. If you have predator pets like ferret, dog or cat please do not have them in the same room as your baby bird. One bite from a cat or dog can be fatal/toxic.

Another good thing I recommend is to locate an avian vet and start savings in a vet fund. Birds can get injured or sick and need to be taken for a check up once per year.

Here is some homework for you:
Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

!! Dangerous toys list !! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Sprouting for your budgie | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

A Guide To Budgie Care | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
This one is a very good posting for beginning bird people

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
She's a very pretty girl.
As long as you are comfortable with the temperature she will be too. But avoid any draughts, even in summer.
The cage is adequate for a single budgie, but I'd prefer a larger cage. Always bigger is better. I'd change those dowel perches for natural wood perches to make sure her feet get exercised.
Allow 3 weeks for her to settle in. It's quite scary being in a new cage in a new home with a new human. Keep playing the budgie sounds and keep sitting and talking with her. The sooner she feels comfortable the sooner she'll find you stimulating.
Talking of stimulating, throw away that cozy hut and any mirrors, and stock up on toys so as she settles you can start rotating them (more stimulation).
If you haven't already introduce bathing opportunities in the cage. Please don't pet her just yet. Until she settles she may only be freezing and accepting your petting out of fear.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
I would agree as well that you have a beautiful baby girl. You have been given great advice so there's really nothing much for me to add. When I brought Sam home he was pretty terrified for the first little while. I did play the budgie sounds which seemed to help calm him down. I did put trays of food and water on the bottom of the cage until he was regularly eating and drinking from his real dishes. I sat outside his cage and talked soothingly once he was eating and drinking regularly. After about 2 weeks he would come over and preen my nose and hair from inside the cage. Then I introduced my hand and would touch my face with my hand while still outside the cage just to get him used to seeing my hand. After this try just putting your hand in the cage and then removing it. Then offer millet from your hand. These steps can take days or weeks depending on how your bird reacts. Just remember not to rush it. Each bird has his/her own distinct and unique personality. Mine was/is daring and feisty so taming was quite easy but go at the birds pace. You want them to trust you and that takes patience.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum Sylvia :fairy2:

Congratulations on your expanding your family :starshower1:

In the future, you may want to look for a bigger cage, like Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Flight Cage, White : Bird Cage : Pet Supplies. Usually pet stores misinform new owners about cage size. Although 18"x18"x18" is the minimum space for a standard budgie, it's always better to go larger. The top would also be better when flat because fancy topped cages are just a waste of space as the bird cannot utilize that space for flying. Although I've never had a bird, I think it'll be easier to clean a flat-topped cage. You can also transform it into a play-top area.
I have a cage like this (but without the guilotine doors) and it´s pretty fragile. So this cage in particular is not a good candidate for putting toys on top. A wrought iron cage would be something to look for to put a playstand on top ;)

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
What a gorgeous little budgie :heart:
Welcome to the forum- I also am a new budgie owner and have found this forum extremely helpful. I also had dowels in my budgies cage and replaced them with driftwood branch perches and my budgie LOVES them! He also loves bells and swings (not to swing on, to play a game he invented "getting on and off the swing repeatedly"), they are inexpensive little things you could pop in. Enjoy getting to know your little budgie- once she feels comfortable her little personality will come out.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
What a gorgeous little budgie :heart:
Welcome to the forum- I also am a new budgie owner and have found this forum extremely helpful. I also had dowels in my budgies cage and replaced them with driftwood branch perches and my budgie LOVES them! He also loves bells and swings (not to swing on, to play a game he invented "getting on and off the swing repeatedly"), they are inexpensive little things you could pop in. Enjoy getting to know your little budgie- once she feels comfortable her little personality will come out.
Mine also plays "hop on and off the swing" as well as hang off swing upside down...lol

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Wow he/she is beautiful!
I have nothing else to add as you’ve already been given such great advice. I’m sure you can already tell by the responses you’ve gotten this is a wonderful place with very knowledgeable bird lovers.

Welcome and enjoy your new baby, budgies are amazing companions :heart:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a beautiful girl she is! (in my opinion she is definitely a female). Don't forget to add fresh seed daily, as the hulls that are empty can look like food. They hull their seeds. Can't wait to see more pics and hear her progress in days to come. Great advice here.