• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New boy, Sage!

Comet

Strolling the yard
Hello bird people!
I'd like to introduce my newest, a Gloster canary named Sage. My coworker has come down with some health problems, so is downsizing her flock, and I got him for free. He's not the most showy of Gloster canaries, but he's still beautiful! His singing voice will come back to him once he's finished moulting.

Attachments

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Such a pretty little guy!! Nice setup, too! Wishing you two the best :heart:

Comet

Strolling the yard
Thank you! He seems quite happy now, living alongside all of my budgies and their chatter, not to mention the quails. Hopefully he isn't getting a headache from it!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Awww he´s adorable!! How cute ❤❤❤❤

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's very cute!

Comet

Strolling the yard
Sage thanks you all for the compliments!
An update, and another new bird from my coworker. This one is a zebra finch named Rolex. Female, I'm thinking? Rolex is all white, with no distinctive markings.
I have no other finches (aside from Sage), and Rolex's previous cagemate passed recently. After deliberating for a while, I made the decision to set up a new cage for Rolex, and, being a social bird, see how she does with one of my tamer budgies, a boy named Periscope. So far, they have sat on the same perch close together, and have both had the chance to eat. Periscope has pecked at her very lightly, much more lightly than he did with the other budgies, to get her to move from the one food dish they have discovered. There is also a second one. As I'm typing, Rolex is eating, and Periscope is happily singing.
*Note* I do not recommend placing these species together, and am only doing it under strict supervision, with extra cages available in case they do need to be separated.

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Sage...and now...also.. Welcome to the Avenue, Rolex! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How is Periscope and Rolex getting on? Are they still housed together?
Interesting, the other day I was looking at cages, and sliding through buyers photos, when I came across a cage where there were 3 birds all housed together... A cockatiel, a budgie... and a lovebird!:eek::jawdrop1:

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Beautiful birds, all three! Welcome to Avian Avenue and I do hope they get along well together, but I would keep close watch until you make sure there's no squabbles!

Comet

Strolling the yard
Interesting combination of birds you saw, Zara! Thank you all for the replies.
Periscope and Rolex were actually getting along great. I have separated them now, mostly because Periscope really missed his budgie buddies! Rolex and Sage are together for the time being, and they also seem to be getting along well, with no signs of bullying. However, I'm still not sure how adequate Sage's company is for Rolex.
I know zebra finches rely on other finch company, and canaries aren't exactly the most social of finches. They sit on the same perch frequently, and busily flit around the cage much of the rest of the time. Rolex vocalizes a fair amount, and from what I've read, that can mean a zebra finch is calling out for other members of its species.
Any advice on if Rolex will be okay without a zebra finch buddy, and if the interaction she gets from the canary (and the budgies chirping beside her) will be enough? She seemed to start "beeping" at the budgies after I moved Periscope back with them.

Attachments

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
A lone canary and a lone finch is ok. Complications arise when there are more of each together. I have had experience with lone canaries and an aviary mixed with finches and canaries. Canaries can bully the finches if breeding and finches can pinch nesting material..so i guess your two are good company for one another. Im glad you removed the budgie as they are known for causing issues with spindly little finch/canary legs.