• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Blue Crown Conure

AnnaTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
Hello! I got a Blue Crown conure last week and it has been going great! He is around six months old and he plucked when he wasn't handled regularly at the bird store. It has been 2 months since he was last plucking. He is pretty good with me and doesn't bite me. The only time when he is aggressive is when he climbs onto my shoulder and he doesn't want to come down so he bites me. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on bonding or other general tips on owning new conures or maybe some toy/treat suggestions. Thanks :)

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congrats on getting your conure. Post some photos when you get a chance. Since he is aggressive when he climbs on your shoulder and you try to remove him then don't allow him on your shoulder. If you choose to let him climb up there then use a t-stick, dowel or perch to take him off your shoulder.
My conure likes Lafeber Avi-cakes, Parrot popcorn, and millet for treats. He doesn't get these daily. As for toys, check out the offerings by the many AA vendors. My conure prefers balsa and stainless steel toys but toy preferences vary with individual birds.
List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
What types of toys were they providing him with at the bird store?

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
May or may not work, but when I get cheeky favorite treat .in my hand, she is a sucker and comes down off my shoulder to get it.

AnnaTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
Thanks sm!! I will definitely try all these strategies out.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Kind of hard to suggest toys and treats when each bird is an individual and has different likes and dislikes - but foraging opportunities are highly recommended!

Do look into target training and positive reinforcement training! Definitely helps to get birds down from up higher!

AnnaTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
today I was trying to give him treats to get him to come off my shoulder and he was so much better and didn't try to bite me. Thanks! :cheer:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
welcome to aa and would love to see pictures

AnnaTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
I have also noticed that he is showing signs of going through his first molt so that could add to the reason he isn't fully happy with me all the time.

AnnaTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
Welcome to AA and congrats on getting your conure. Post some photos when you get a chance. Since he is aggressive when he climbs on your shoulder and you try to remove him then don't allow him on your shoulder. If you choose to let him climb up there then use a t-stick, dowel or perch to take him off your shoulder.
My conure likes Lafeber Avi-cakes, Parrot popcorn, and millet for treats. He doesn't get these daily. As for toys, check out the offerings by the many AA vendors. My conure prefers balsa and stainless steel toys but toy preferences vary with individual birds.
List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
What types of toys were they providing him with at the bird store?
at the bird store he has 2 toys in his cage and they let me keep them for him. Because they were destoryed, I got more toys. One was a preening toy, some toys with beads and bells, and some foraging toys.