• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New Black and Red girl (Snake photos)

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So I've done my venomous course now,
And let me tell you,
There's somehing spectacular about having Australian Tiger, Copperhead,Redbellied, Eastern Brown, and Queensland Brown snakes wiggle over your feet, without a care in the world.
We were even lucky enough to have Inland and Coastal Taipans do the same.

We were required to appropriately capture and bag each species (except the Taipans as theyre far too dangerous for a novice) and then safely release them again.

Tell you what...those brown snakes move FAST!

It was nice though to have the interested public stand back and watch, and get to see no matter how wound up these snakes got (intentionally for demonstration purposes), full hooding (flattening themselves out like a cobra for intimidating), hissing, and rearing up to strike...the second you stop moving...they stop caring and instantly resume just going about their business.

So with that under the belt,
In a few weeks Ill be bringing home my first Red Bellied girl :heart:
She is a yearling from legally wild caught parents of South Australian locality.

Please note whilst redbellies are a generally calm species,
The freehandling shown in these photos is NOT recommended. Please do not handle venomous snakes.
The man holding her has 30 years experience as a snake catcher and relocater.

Some photos from the training day. Just dodgey phone photos sorry

Stunning Queensland brown snake

One of many Eastern brown snakes used to show colour variation. They vary from brown, to banded, to a blue grey, to red etc.

Two tiger snakes of different localities to show colour variation. The striped tiger was a real sweetie

Copperhead

Inland Taipan being bagged, Coastal Taipan in the box

South Australian Death Adder, just bagged and now im releasing it

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
That is pretty darn cool. You have more guts then me..thats for sure. I do not mind snakes, I have actually owned them in the past. I love Ball Pythons, and constrictors in general. But would never handle poisonous ones!

Congrats by the way. :)

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Yeah, you don't want to piss those Eastern Brown Snakes off, because if they get really aggro it's very hard to get out of their way. I'm always surprised how thick-set our Copperheads are...and you got to see a real live Fierce Snake (Inland Taipan), the world's most venomous terrestrial snake!!! You are fair dinkum bonkers!!! :eek:

solo

Real Name
jess
you have some serious guts , i love snakes but the venomous ones are better from afar :hehe:

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
When youre that close to them (most specimens were wild caught) its a lot harder than you'd think to be scared of them...feel a healthy respect, yes...but fear is hard. Simply because it allows you to see how incredibly terrified they are of you...until you stop moving then they literally instantly forget about you.

Yes the browns speed is incredible!

There's only an average of 4 snake bite related deaths a year in Australia. Mostly from untreated bites as when bitten by most of our elapids, like brown snakes, the bites have no initial pain or swelling, and effects can take a few hours to arise. Generally no crazy swelling and blistering like foreign elapids...so people think its fine/was a dry bite.

The brightside of brown snakes is their teeth are only around 4mm long so thick shoes and clothes generally prevent an envenomated bite.

Taipans on the other hand have 12mm long teeth! Wicked!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! It sounds like you had an amazing experience!

Matt

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
This last pic is gorgeous! What kind is he? I admire your love and dedication even though the idea of owning them scares me. :wideyed:

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
Awesome :) I'd quite like to do a venomous course just to experience it but I wouldn't be confident enough to keep any myself though.
Beautiful snakes, they really are amazing animals

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
Awesome! Though I myself would be too cowardly to own a venomous snake, I love reptiles. <3 If it weren't for the fact most snakes eat rodents, I'd probably have one. I always thought snakes had a type of cuteness about them, when they're just doing their own thing and maybe have a tongue flick out - it's adorable.

I used to catch wild Northern Brown Snakes (none venomous) when I was younger, and though I never kept them it was nice to see them and know that we actually had snakes near me. They apparently ate slugs, as I accidentally stressed one out and he threw up one : (. But I always tried to be gentle and kind, and they were pretty mellow, never acted aggressive.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Wowa, that is super cool!! :jawdrop1:

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Marie,
She is a wee little South Australian locality Red Bellied Black Snake :) theyre known to be docile even in the wild and if they ever do bite, its often a dry warning bite. They're so charming and the friend looking after her is in love. I think he would ask to keep her if we didn't have some babies on the way (not from her lol).

Klomonx...
Hehe funny the terminology of different countries :lol: that Queensland Brown Snake I posted a photo of would be a "northern brown snake" here...and lord help you if youre bitten as their venom dosage is huggge!

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
Marie,
She is a wee little South Australian locality Red Bellied Black Snake :) theyre known to be docile even in the wild and if they ever do bite, its often a dry warning bite. They're so charming and the friend looking after her is in love. I think he would ask to keep her if we didn't have some babies on the way (not from her lol).

Klomonx...
Hehe funny the terminology of different countries :lol: that Queensland Brown Snake I posted a photo of would be a "northern brown snake" here...and lord help you if youre bitten as their venom dosage is huggge!
LOL No, no, these snakes are tiny! PA HERP IDENTIFICATION » Northern Brownsnake

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Bringing her home in 14 hours!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name