• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New birds that are friendly but quiet?

Diana E.

Sitting on the front steps
I recently brought two tiels and brought them home with me a few days ago, and I know they're still getting used to their environment and I know both are male, so what gives?

Another thing is that in the second day, they let me feed them with my hand, no bites, no nothing. They don't make sounds unless they're hungry and when they want to come out of the cage and explore the room. In addition, they also nibble on me? I assume it's because they know I give them food, but I'm unsure.
They also get hot feet? And grind their beaks from time to time, they let me pet them but I keep it to a minimum because I want them to gain confidence with me! So I take it slow and steady.
They're healthy btw, took em to the vet and everything seems good, sometimes they sneeze but it's due to the fan, since it gets really hot!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
They're probably still listening really hard to the sounds of every single thing around them. My bet is - in a week or two, they will be chattering and whistling happily!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How old are they? If they're young they may not really be vocal yet. Also, it usually takes birds time to be comfortable in a new home. A couple days isn't very long. Beak grinding is a good sign though. And some birds just aren't that vocal. I had a male tiel and he was relatively quiet all the time. He'd chirp when I got home and sometime flock call if I left the room but really wasn't a noisy bird (unlike my cockatoo. LOL.)

Diana E.

They are around 11 to 12 weeks, fully weaned and they are alert and active, clear nostrils and eyes. I'm glad beak grinding is good! When i first heard my tiels doing that I was quite confused. Possibly they aren't, but I know they are still young so in a few weeks I'll know!!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, I'll bet they will come around and be vocal eventually. They really are babies and they have each other, so not as much need to call you.

Diana E.

Yeah i hope so too, they seem fine with one another but it'll be reassuring if they chirp once and awhile. Sometimes it feels like I'm doing something wrong! :crycry:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They sound like happy little babies to me!:heart: It’s good you’re so conscientious, and from what I’ve seen of your posts, you’re doing a good job with them.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
There will be many changes along the way.
Who ever raised them as babies did a nice job socializing them.
Congratulations!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It sounds like you have not been around birds much. Time is your friend. Go slowly and think about your expectations and put yourself in their place. Everything around you is new. That is very stressful to birds. Cockatiel are great birds to have as companions.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
They sound like they are a very sweet twosome. Are they siblings? I have two Lovebird male siblings and they get along so well...........I WISH I could say they were quiet, LOL. Definitely not quiet. I think everybody nailed it with your little guys, they are young and it's all new everywhere they look.. They're just taking it all in right now. I hope you share with us as they make their transition to their new home. Thanks for posting.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
they let me pet them but I keep it to a minimum because I want them to gain confidence with me! So I take it slow and steady.
To take it slow is good, but if they chose to be with you, let them. :)
It should always be them that decide what they want or not. So their isn't any right or wrong because all birds are individual.
To allowed them outside the cage is a great way to create a bond with them. You can play together, eat together, sing together, e.t.c.
Be their best friend, and respect them that their cage is theirs. No interaction in the cage.

And just ask questions, as many as you want. Better that then to do something wrong with them.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Birds that are new to their environment tend to be quieter...at first. They also seem to be on their "best" behavior, too. As time goes by, their personalities will grow...:)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
While they are young is a great time to start some training, also set paramaeters like if you want them to be on the playstand but not on the sofa.... and play music you don’t mind hearing for the next 20 years because they’ll whistle it. ;)

Diana E.

Yeah i agree that right now they are shy, but I won't mind having music for 20 years! I actually choose to have a bird again because I missed having one, the last one we had was stolen from us. :crycry: I have a relatively quiet life, so some music and waking up later on with music will feel like a nice change. Animals, and birds in particular are always special to me, they require more patience and more bonding than a dog or cat. I agree that the person who raised them, raised them very well because they can already step up on my finger! I think they are siblings but I can ask. I usually take them out when i am doing stuff on my desk and currently are on my phone while I type this! They're trying to eat the case:) i try to give them freedom and leave the cage door open while I'm in the room since they like to stay in front of the cage and when i open the door they fly on to the floor and that's where I try to interact with them since they choose to come out.

Last edited: