• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird owners rehomed conure, and help greatly appreciated

Fyx

Moving in
Hello everyone! Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read this (it's reaaaally long). Let's jump right in!

A little background on our green cheek conure. My wife worked with a lady who had him and she also had 3 parakeets. She also has a couple kids (unsure of their ages, but I believe younger). She said she didn't have the time needed to take care of the conure (her husband also worked nights and had trouble with the squawking during the day) so she was looking to re-home them but only as a group. My wife has always wanted a conure so naturally she said yes! We ended up with 3 parakeets, a cage with toys and food for them, a conure along with food and cage, and an outside cage on wheels.

We bring them home in April and of course the cage was too small for the conure so she gets a bigger one and gets him setup. Added a couple items (mineral rock, cuddle-board, two bells in balls, different size perches) and he seemed ok in the new cage and had no trouble eating or drinking. He was very quit during this time except at night when the sun was going down or bright orange objects. He squawked at a hot Cheeto bag, Little Caesar's pizza box and a roll up extension cord (also if we watch a scary movie or one where a lady screams when being attacked/killed he likes to squawk too!). We setup him in our living room where the most action would be. Us and the dog. Our german shepard never bothered the conure from the get go and I think the conure doesn't mind him either. The conure was quiet for about a couple weeks just watching us and he would walk away from us when we tried to approach the cage. I didn't think anything of it other than he needed time to adjust.

Unfortunately I work from home so got to spend more time with him talking as I went by and playing with his bells. I also sat closer to him in the living room. After 3 weeks one night he rang his bell so I went and rang the other one. He rang his again and I congratulated him and made a "ding ding ding" sound. I asked him to ring his, made the sound, then ring mine and made the sound and he did it! The next morning he was friendly to me! I walked by the cage and he came up to it. I would talk to him and ring his bell and he would too. He would start to crawl towards my fingers and try and bite at them and naturally I would pull them away.

One morning I was cutting up an apple for another pet (bearded dragon <3) and decided to see if the conure wanted some. I held a little piece up to the gate and he came up and ate it. He started making this little purr/chirp sounds while eating it so I gave him a couple more pieces in his bowl we tried to put veggies in. He doesn't like to eat carrots or kale or bananas or cuties (baby tangerines). HE LOVES MILLET and we even tried to sprinkle them on the banana but no dice. He had some food that looked like tricks or fruit loops and the wife said that wasn't the best for them so she got some seed mix as well.

A week later I try and open the cage and feed him some apples like that. He came up slowly and ate the apple just fine and I would shut the gate. We would continue to play with the bells and he would continue to follow me around the cage. If I left the room and came back and walked nearby he would fly or crawl fast and basically follow me around the cage. I started a new game with him (which now I think was a HUGE mistake) where when he would come up the cage I would let him beak my fingers or hand and then I would turn around and poke his body/feet or lightly pull his tail feathers and say "get you get you!". The conure of course would do flips and turn around and follow me and my finger all around the cage so we made a game out of it.

A couple days later I opened the cage and tried to feed him apples and he lunged and latched onto my finger which caught me off guard completely and caused me to panic yell (I'm a 6'3" 330 lb man but with sensitive skin lol) and make a big scene. The conure of course afterword started making this cackling laughing sound as I yelled for the dog to get back. That bite drew blood and the wife said she would need to train him to step up and not bite if I was going to make a scene because "any attention when bad things occur is good attention to them". I agreed and said I was fine with that, it was her bird anyway. For some reason the conure would get super excited when seeing me if I left the room for a hour or so and would I came back and he saw he me would poop. I told her "great he's like those dogs that pee when they are happy to see you lol".

A week go by and she tries to approach the cage and bond with him be he is scared and keeps running from her. But as soon as I show up in the room he comes to me. I can't fault my wife but she gets tired of things easily and I told her even if he shows you no love just give him time and talk and hang out anyway. Eventually he would come up to the cage for apples but that was the extent. She starts liking the conure less and less because when I would leave the room he would squawk really loud and it would hurt her ears and give her a headache/migraine (she is genetically disposed to these, her whole family gets them easily). Paired with the fact the conure doesn't seem to be bonding with her, she says I'll need to move him into my office where I work most of the day since he won't be calm. At this point she starts calling him my bird and I agree I've grown fond of him and agree to it. We are in the process of moving my office around so he sits on the floor next to the room while we get it setup properly.

I continue to play "get you get you" with him and talk to him and feed him as normal. Sometimes I'll leave him in the living room when I'm super busy so the dog can entertain him and I noticed if I leave for a couple hours and come back and walk by the cage without acknowledging him he would do a single loud squawk and I would turn around and seem him do this "strut/slow walk" where he flares his tail and puffs up and eyeballs me. Of course I think it's hilarious,cute,etc and try to get him to do it so I can record it and show the wife. I finally got him doing it!

I started looking for information for the conure (diet, playtime, sleep schedule, etc) and have now read tons of stuff. We've had him now for almost 2 months and he has never left his cage (we know this is bad now!). The more I've the told the wife things the more she thinks she made a mistake bringing him home as he tends to be a very high maintenance and social bird. She knew they were social but didn't realize how much so!

So I felt bad for the conure and decided to start small and sit with him in the bathroom and open the top of the cage so he can start exploring. It took him a bit for he came up and explored the top of his cage. I tried to hold my arm up to him to "step up" on and he would beak at it at first (guessing to make sure it's safe and sturdy" and then he would bite and launch on hard and not let go. I pulled my arm far enough away that he lost his balance on the cage and let go. I tried my other arm and the same thing. He would do little beaks which is fine but then he would latch on hard to the extra skin and not let go. I don't understand why he likes to hold my flesh but the cage, toys, etc he just bites or beaks and lets them go. I finally get him off that arm and try and use two fingers to push towards his chest and he bites down hard on them again. It took my 3 mins to shake a ball in his cage enough to get him to crawl back down into it and shut it and walk away.

I started reading more on how to get him to stop biting but it may take some time. I realized (I think) I should of just left him alone after the bite and walked away. I'm a big baby and it's hard to not react when he bites for blood. I'm still unsure on alot of the training's so I have a clicker and some treats and some chopsticks (target stick) to try and get him to follow it first.
How much time a day should I leave him out of the cage to explore?
How should I get him to stop following me around like he wants to eat my face off in the cage?
How do I get him to eat good veggies and not just want millet and apples? How should I try and touch or pet him (I think I read the tail feather is bad)? The conure doesn't have clipped wings and flies around in the cage when spooked so I guess he is "flighted?". Any other good bonding or things I should be doing? I want him to be able to fly around the office and eventually the house and sit on my shoulder and all that fun stuff. I want to make sure I do him justice and he can live a long happy life with us!

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
First off, welcome to Avian Avenue! Does your conure have a name?
Birds are a lot of work, and cheeky, social conures are no exception. You may have reacted that one time but now you can change how you approach him. What you can also do is see if he will set up onto a perch, rather than your arm to reduce the risk of biting. Clicker training is a huge help in adjusting behaviors. Keep offering him the healthy stuff; eventually he might try it. It took a month for my conure to decide to eat chop.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here!

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Welcome to the site... and the LONG haul! The one aspect of Conure behavior that I have learnt is that they have a fantastic memory and won't forget anything you do for them (or against them) so that might be something to take into account! For now... avoid all skin contact till your fid has bonded with you! Once bitten twice remembered! Start a routine with them and stick to it... change the routine as they continue to bond with you! Allow as much OUT of Cage QUALITY time as you are comfortable with (once, twice, or three times a day) and stick to it! Encourage activities inside his cage and out... foraging, toys, training, whatever keeps them busy! Try to avoid touching games as it will come back to haunt you! Pilo still hates one of my relations (because of the poking fingers inside cages) every time she visits! The only time you should place your fingers inside the cage is if you have a treat attached to the end of them! :p

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to AA!

I loved reading about you and your bird.

I hope you find lots of good information here and I am sure you will get lots of support and help from the members here :)

Fyx

Moving in
Thanks for the replies and the links so far!

The cage we have for him now is this one: You & Me Parrot Open Top Cage | Petco
I've been looking at getting him a big playground setup so he can fly to it and perch (Amazon.com : Prevue Hendryx 3180 Pet Products Parrot Playstand, Black Hammertone : Parrot Stand : Pet Supplies). But at the same time I see cages (Amazon.com : Yaheetech 69''H Extra Large Bird Cage for Mid-Sized Parrots Cockatiels Conures Parakeets Lovebirds Budgie Finch Small Animal Cage for Rats Chinchillas Ferrets : Pet Supplies) almost twice the size of his current one for not much more than that playground and thought maybe I could just get him both and link them together or make one into a playground for him.

I've opened the top and he has come out but always looks like he wants to fly right at me. I would love to have him exploring more outside still but I feel he will just want to eat me up lol. He follows my hands as I move them outside the cage like a cat following a laser pointer. I still can't stick my hands in the cage without him coming after me to change or move anything unless I distract him near the top with some food with the other hand but if he notices he will quickly approach the hand without the food. When I feed him apples I have been putting them in different areas of the cage (my hand holding them from outside) and can get him to come after the apple. I have an extra perch stick that I held with one hand and stuck on the bar of the cage on the outside and had him follow pieces of apples around the inside to outside and even on the stick, and then back in. I also hide a piece or two for him to find later (they like games like this I've read?).

I'm still trying to find him toys or things to keep him busy but after reading some of these horror stories with birds choking on strings or dying from metal poisoning it's got me worried.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Conures are often called velcro birds, and for good reason. They are extremely social and want to be with us All. The.Time. It can be overwhelming until you get into a routine. I agree with the others about starting clicker training through the bars. They learn how to target in literally about 5 minutes. It sounds like his previous owner didn't do much with him, which doesn't mean he can't learn, it just means you need to start at the beginning. You both have to teach each other and learn each other's body language, a bird's trust is definitely something that has to be earned. Taking apples from you is a great start. Welcome to AA! I have learned so much since joining last year, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on here. More pics!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Many birds are cage territorial, meaning they don't like hands in their cage. You should perhaps look into target training and teaching him to go to a certain area of his cage when you have your hands in. Also, if you go under Marketplace, we have a lot of vendors here who sell great, safe toys.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Oh and as for toys, just start with a variety. And if a toy remains untouched in one area for a few days, change it's location. You'll learn what he likes to chew. I have a huge assortment of my birds' favs and other new things and I just throw together a few toys a week. Usually they go right for it when I've done a good job. ;)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
At minimum, I do recommend the 32x23 flight cages. The cheapest brands are A&E and HQ, but there are other brands out there. A&E used to sell the cage on Ebay for $118 shipped, when they had an overstock of them, however prices may be going up by 15% or so, so it may no longer be possible to find them at that price.

A&E Cage Company Flight Bird Cage Back Wrought Iron Bird 2 Perches 2 Food Bowls | eBay or Amazon.com : A&E Cage Co. 32-Inch by 21-Inch Flight Cage and Stand, Platinum : Birdcages : Pet Supplies

If set up right, these can be decent enough cages as well... just keep in mind that wooden dowel perches aren't all that great for their feet, so if you can replace most, if not all, with natural perches, that would be best!

Prevue Hendryx Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage Black Hammertone Large | eBay

I still can't stick my hands in the cage without him coming after me to change or move anything unless I distract him near the top with some food with the other hand but if he notices he will quickly approach the hand without the food.
This is fantastic! Actually, keep it up! This is part of station training. You can work on getting him to station in one spot for longer and longer before receiving his reward. Keep it short in the beginning, such as waiting 1-3 seconds, then 5-6 seconds, then 8-10 seconds, etc. Also, look for other treats he may find rewarding. This could be millet, sunflower seeds, walnuts, dried fruits, or?

When I feed him apples I have been putting them in different areas of the cage (my hand holding them from outside) and can get him to come after the apple. I have an extra perch stick that I held with one hand and stuck on the bar of the cage on the outside and had him follow pieces of apples around the inside to outside and even on the stick, and then back in. I also hide a piece or two for him to find later (they like games like this I've read?).
All fantastic! This is target training! (and foraging!) Keep it up!!!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely makes bird toys especially for smaller birds like conures: Small/Medium Birds

I would suggest getting a nice range of materials so you can learn what he likes. Birds have preferred toy materials just like kids have their favourite toys. For example, you can offer balsa, pine, vine or wicker shapes, cardboard, paper, cork, beads and so on to get a sense of whether your bird likes harder or softer wood, whether he likes to very carefully take things apart or shred them, whether he likes to use his feet or just latch on with his beak. Shawna may be able to suggest some starter toys that contain a nice selection of materials.

It's very important that any materials are bird safe. Wood and wooden beads should be dyed with food colouring or non-toxic dyes and not treated with preservatives. Many of the AA vendors dye their own wood so they know that they are using safe materials.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I used to have a green cheek, they are lovely birds! They can be very... Outspoken... In ways that have nothing to do with their voice :lol:

For my birds I've always just stared with a small room (like an office or bedroom), opened the door, and walked away while remaining available. I let them come out and greet me if they like to. Some will take longer than others. I try to leave my cages open as long as it is safe to do so, whether that is 2 hours or (more commonly) sun up to sun down. This freedom and respect cultures a trusting relationship in my experience.

Have you ever tried chop? My Chop "Recipe"

Also, is the conure getting any pellets, etc? Conures can have some seeds but if they aren't getting any reliable source of other vitamins and minerals (vitamin A, Vitamin D3, calcium, especially) then the can get very ill.

As for toys, my green cheek was one of my main inspirations for making my own toys. Out of the dozens available at Petco and Petsmart, etc, she liked 1, possibly 2. Lots of wasted money! She really liked things that most big manufacturers simply aren't using in great amounts... Balsa, super thin (1/8") pine, cork, etc. I would be happy to help you pick out toys, or you can do a Bongo Box mystery box - set your budget and let me do the rest :) Bongo Box - Single or Subscription Mystery Box

Fyx

Moving in
Again thanks for the replies everyone!

@Mizzely Thanks for that "chop" recipe, I will try it out and see how he likes it! So far he doesn't like any orange colored food, not even those orange colored pellets lol. Going to try a mango and see how that goes.

We have a big wooden hanging toy thing he should be chewing but I guess he doesn't know he can. We are going to try and break it apart and see if he likes it. Some kind of wood yucca thing he can chew up. I had to take out one of his hanging ball toys with a bell inside because he was being "promiscuous" with it. Wife heard him making noises from across the room and said he looked like he was stuck in the ball toy lol, needless to say we didn't catch on what was happening until a couple days later when I caught him again. He has a "mineral" flower but doesn't chew it, he actually sleeps on top of it lol. What kind of busy toys would you recommend that he could occupy himself with inside the cage? He still is hesitant on leaving the cage onto the floor. This morning I put a perch at the gate and angled it to the floor and got him to step onto the perch and get some apple, then he went back in and finished eating it. I held another piece and he came about half way to get some apple before going back in. I put a little piece on a paper towel on the ground and he just stood in his cage and didn't try to get it so I thought he wasn't ready and I didn't want to push him too far so I let him eat some in the cage too.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Fyx Balsa, cork, yucca, paper, cardboard, seagrass, vine, Sola, and super thin pine. If a bird is not used to playing with toys, giving them hard toys that can't be destroyed is not the way to go. Start with soft stuff so that the confidence is built and the behavior is encouraged!

Some examples of toys my green cheek loved or that I recommend to people learning what they like :

Lazy Monster Sampler

Hugh

Remi

This is one is named after my green cheek as it is one she loved!

Koopa

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A lot of parrots don't feel comfortable on the floor. Consider getting a playstand that you can roll up to the doorway to encourage him to come out in a way that is a little more biologically appropriate. :)

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I 2nd the recommendation to shop Lil’ Monsters for a GCC. My girl has a slight balsa addiction. :laugh:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I 2nd the recommendation to shop Lil’ Monsters for a GCC. My girl has a slight balsa addiction. :laugh:

Good thing I included balsa in her foot toy box ;)