• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird owner

Karen1760

Moving in
Real Name
Karen
Hello everyone
Our family just got a new memeber a budgie named Sky, it’s just 5 months old. We are very new to the bird pet life, I have only ever had cats and dogs. This is my daughters bird but we are all trying to figure out how to get it to adapt to us and it’s surroundings. Our goal is for her to be able to come out of the cage and perch on our hands and such. Any suggestions for experienced owners? Our fear is once she is out how do you get her back in if she isn’t 100% comfortable with us. Thanks
0D6425CB-AB8D-407B-9C9A-FA4B081EFDEA.jpeg

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
Welcome I like the color of your bird

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A warm welcome to you and your daughter and of course pretty little Sky. First thing I see in the cage is a dangerous toy. The wood blocks hanging on a string. Please read this forum so that you are aware of the dangers of toys out there. AA has many vendors that make very safe toys because they have birds themselves. Second are the dowel perches. When you get a chance get some rope perches and natural perches. They are much better for their feet. I cant tell for sure are her flight feathers cut? This makes a big difference in training the bird and the safety of the bird. I like to put layers of newspaper over the grate in the bottom because it is easier to clean and easier on their feet. There are so many things to make you aware of I don't want to do it all in one post. Items that should be addressed: training, larger cage, food, getting a pal budgie for her as budgies are not good a single bird. Just not happy. Do you have an avian vet where you can take her? This should be addressed right away rather than waiting until the bird is sick or injured. Do you have other pets in the room where you are keeping Sky? These are the type of things we should know before giving advice.

One last thing to address your concern. Sky has most likely not learned how to fly and land safely so please do not let her out of the cage in a large room. Once she is used to you I suggest you take her in the bathroom and then open the door. Cover up the mirrors or windows. She will fly erratically and most likely land somewhere like the sink. Before doing this try to train he while in the cage to step up on a perch because she may be afraid of your hands right now. Hold a perch in your hands with a spray of millet within her sight. She will get the idea you want her to step up on the perch. Oh also in the beginning hold the flat of your hands against the cage for her to see and get used to. Have your daughter read or sing to her often. I will return and others will also with more tid bits of budgie care.
!! Dangerous toys list !! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Sky. :)

I second @Lady Jane's excellent post! Please get rid of that toy, if you haven't already done so. Like Dianne said, there are many great vendors right here on the Avenue that sell wonderful things that Sky will enjoy. :)
Budgies love millet...a fact you can use to your advantage!

We also had a budgie named Sky...I love the name for the blue budgies...:heart:

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
A warm welcome to you and your daughter and of course pretty little Sky. First thing I see in the cage is a dangerous toy. The wood blocks hanging on a string.
Those are bird kebabs, I personally use those , but I can see how they can be dangerous. How I counteract the dangers is by hanging it on the side instead of the middle. It's easier for them to chew there and if it falls, it won't hit the bird. @Karen1760 Welcome toe the forum and try to vary the perches with rope and natural perches. There are many useful taming guides here in AA. Hope you find this forum helpful

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A bird here chewed the wood and got caught up in the string and was strangled to death. You can cut the string and put the wood circles on a stainless steel skewer.

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Karen1760

Moving in
Real Name
Karen
Thank you all for you input. She is from a pet store so my guess is her wings are not clipped. She is fine when we open the food and water doors but the minute we open the main door to try and just place our hand inside so she can be comfortable with it, which I read in many places is what you do she freaks out jumping and flying around. How do I help her become more comfortable with this.
Thanks again I moved that you.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
You might be trying to progress a bit too quickly. Try reading to her while you sit next to her cage. Maybe offer some millet through the bars of the cage. Once she is comfortable with that, load up your hand with millet and SLOWLY put it inside. Don't wave your hand or anything, just let it sit there. If she comes over to eat, tell her in a soft, quiet voice what a good bird she is. Taming can take days, weeks, or months depending on the bird. Let her become "tame" at her own pace. If she seems uncomfortable or frightened with what you are doing, go back a step. You will have years to teach her, and trying to rush it will just make progress slower. Good luck!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
but the minute we open the main door to try and just place our hand inside so she can be comfortable with it, which I read in many places is what you do she freaks out jumping and flying around. How do I help her become more comfortable with this.

This is why I wrote to put the flat of your hands on the outside of the cage at first. She is not ready to have your hands inside the cage. Since she is from a pet store her training will be a little longer. The birds sold in a pet store do not get much exposure to humans or human touch. Slow baby steps with her.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome!! I hope you enjoy your time here :)

Colbon2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
:hello: and :welave: she's a very lovely bird

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Karen1760

Moving in
Real Name
Karen
Thanking for the warm welcomes.
Sky seems to be fitting in better. She is becoming more vocal which I take as a good sign. Still a little Unsure of us but getting better. I have question, she eats well but I don’t see her drinking much at all is this normal for budgies, it is possible I am just not see her, it’s hard to tell with water levels as I am sure Even when they drink it isn’t a lot. Thanks

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Very normal! Budgie sized birds only take in about a tablespoon of water a day. As long as she is drinking at least a little, she's fine. Just make sure you are changing her water daily, even if it doesn't look empty or dirty. Same thing for food.

Make sure you are feeding her veggies in addition to seeds! Good ones are broccoli, carrot, and cooked leafy greens. (Certain raw ones prevent proper calcium absorption) Cooked beans are good, too. NEVER feed a bird (Or yourself for that matter) raw beans, they are toxic for most creatures. Also try a bit of egg!

Broccoli is a good veggie to start her off with, most birds like broccoli because the little buds resemble seeds.