• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new bird owner!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
A friend lent me a book from Sally Blanchard. Haven't read it yet... Have thought some of her info has been a "little off". Should probably read the book to see what I really think! LOL

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I've made her "glop" recipe, which my birds enjoyed, minus the yogurt. The evil eye has never worked here, among some of her other techniques. However, I love buying up old Pet Bird Report & Companion Parrot Quarterly: I love the articles by Nancy Speed, Kashmir Czaky, most of Phoebe Linden's, etc.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Smattext you two are very brave starting out with 2 large birds! Thank you for rescuing them. I have a rescue who had been in his cage "cage bound" for years before I got him... he is now 20 and will come out and even fly to the living area to find me, but its on his terms only and it took a LOT of work.

It sounds like the rescue had them on a good diet, that is good news.

This forum is great and you get more solid advice here than you will from most other sources. I have read Sally Blanchard and Bird Tricks and they're both very salesly, with limited advice.

Keep asking questions, and please don't get offended when you seem to hear the same thing over and over. There are a lot of reasons that happens but everyone means well, and we are all aiming for a common goal -- the health and well-being of the fids (yours as well as our own). We become invested in each other's birds here, and you'll find that we get really concerned with every little detail. We celebrate and cheer with you when things move along positively, and we cry with you in the sad parts.

:welave:

Smattext

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Scott Mattingley
Thank you for that @finchly I do have a thought that i would like some opinions on soon after we got them home we started buying books and started the target training we started with just touching a feather because thats the only thing Dysney the female would come near and it has always worked well but once we started trying to get them to step up they would both get an attitude and try to bite. so we would back off the stepping up and just do the touch and they would always do it but just here lately i noticed evertime we would come into the room cause we always go into the room in the morning have are coffee and just sit with them and do the same in the evening when we get home but they would run to the corner perch on the oppisite side and stay there and if we came over to them they would puff up. So earlier this week i decided to just back off all together and just sit with them and i would give them a few treats now and then. The funniest thing happened friday morning we got up got our coffee came in and sat down and they both came running over to where we were and were squaking and showing off Dysney likes to show off so we clap and give her praise and you can tell she just loves that. Then i got up and gave them some treats and they seemed really happy then when we got home friday night they did the same exact thing and i gave them more treats and they stayed right there with us and seemed really happy . So now im thinking that we should just back off on the training all together for a while and just keep doing this and give them a chance to get to know us and maybe they might start trusting us. What does everyonre think?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think thats a great idea. Let them get completely comfortable with you and then slowly start training. I'm glad they are starting to trust you more!:dance4:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
No worries... You'll toughen - up . :cool4:
Welcome to the club of crazy bird people, we're all in this togeather, their are many knowledgeable folks here ,who are more than happy to reach out to you. For any advice or resource you may need .Your on the right track.
Welcome to Avian Avenue!

Smattext

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Scott Mattingley
No worries... You'll toughen - up . :cool4:
Welcome to the club of crazy bird people, we're all in this togeather, their are many knowledgeable folks here ,who are more than happy to reach out to you. For any advice or resource you may need .Your on the right track.
Welcome to Avian Avenue!

Thank you for that but it's to late I feel like a real idiot right now lol

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you for that but it's to late I feel like a real idiot right now lol
No, no, no. You're just getting to know us and there are a lot of personalities to get to know. Takes time to know us

I believe we all admire you and your wife a lot, for having taken on these 2 beauties. I'm glad there are people like you around, as I know I couldn't do it. I'm a small bird person. My biggest is a Hahns Macaw (a mini Macaw the size of a sun conure).

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
No worries I'm sure!

Reactions: TWR

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I was in tears reading about Zoe. I also saw where Keene went so that had a happy ending.
Have heard about this lung sensitivity from the dust & the warnings not to keep macaws esp with the dusty birds
but did not really know it attacked the heart.

Very sad.
:sorrow:

Glad the macaws are getting more comfortable with you.
I would agree with stepping back with the training regime (put that parrot wizard book on the bottom of the pile) & just try to build trust & confidence that you are the source of good things & give them time. They have been through alot in there lives & who knows what is going through there heads. That they seem to respond to praise is very remarkable. They seem to have had a bond with people & hopefully they can in time transfer that to you.

I really think it would be best for you to step away from thinking about adopting more birds at this time.
I am in awe of your bravery or you may just not be aware but 2 macaws are really alot of bird to handle.
Please invest all the time & funds into them as you could so easily get in over your head with more birds.
I can't imagine having 2 macaws as first birds but you are doing really great!
Just think these birds could be with you for 40 years...you have plenty of time...

:fairy2:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Your not an idiot, please don't feel that way. I like keeping birds in pairs as you have taken on. I personally think they have less phobias. I have a great bond with my pair. We are flock , I personally think we could never fully fulfill the need that a same species can provide. You are fortunate that they get along. They have a lovely walk-in aviary from what I can see. My husband and l found a huge eucalyptus branch to put in our walk-in aviary here's some ideas for your birds habitat...

20160210_140102.jpg 20160210_135043.jpg 20160315_122706.jpg

Attachments

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Your not an idiot, please don't feel that way. I like keeping birds in pairs as you have taken on. I personally think they have less phobias. I have a great bond with my pair. We are flock , I personally think we could never fully fulfill the need that a same species can provide. You are fortunate that they get along. They have a lovely walk-in aviary from what I can see. My husband and l found a huge eucalyptus branch to put in our walk-in aviary here's some ideas for your birds habitat...

View attachment 241828 View attachment 241829 View attachment 241830

OMG those pink beauties are too adoreable for words!
Wow, that is a nice enclosure for them. Guess that helps keep them happy & healthy.

I forgot but are you the lady near Oliveview?

I'ts really nice up there. I even spotted a horse in a yard a block away from the hospital. I was in awe...