• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new bird owner!

Smattext

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Scott Mattingley
Hi all me and my wife are new to the world of parrots,we adopted two macaws that are mates the male is a scarlet and the female is a catalina and they are a handfull. When we first got them life was pretty scarry with them after i was bit a couple of times OUCH! man that hurts. We are finally starting to get to know one another a little better and things are settling down a bit. We started target training with a clicker but we cant seem to find that magic food that they will do anything for. I am reading a book and it says that diet management is the key, witch we have started to do and so far the only thing that has done is helped the bird lose a little weight. So any feedback or suggestions would be very helpful.

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:welave:

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
:welave:
Hi and welcome. Your new fids are beautiful.

Guess you've tried treats like almonds, walnuts, pine nuts - or just about any nut except you should avoid peanuts.

It's great that you're researching and reading up on training strategies. Which training book are you following? What do you mean by diet management? When you say the birds have lost weight - did they need to? Were they on the "too heavy" side? I would relook at what you're feeding and adjust it so as to maintain weight. All changes to diet should be done slowly.

I don't have large macaws here, so I'm sure there will be others with better knowledge than me who will be along shortly to help with suggestions.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Congrats
Wow 2 large macaws are sure an intense introduction into parrot care.

There are many expert macaw & large bird parronts on the forum so they will give you the best info but I have a few bits of general advise.

Not sure if you said the age but thinking they are adults. Still you should try monitor their weights & make sure they don't lose too much.

Maybe you changed the diet too fast? You have to slowly introduce new diets.
Maybe you can tell us what there diet was & what you have switched them to?

I also looked at the pics & noticed a few things.

They could use a few natural wood perches of varied sizes as dowel perches are hard on the feet. They don't need to go across the entire cage. Just a few single bolt in various places so they can maintain good foot health. Also I see a rather large dog & although they seem happy eating there food it might make them uncomfortable.

Good Luck with them & hope you get alot of great advise.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welcome2:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hi and thank you for taking these birds into your heart and home. You have taken on quite a challenge, but one that can be successfully met with patience, kindness and consistency.

I personally, and many others on this forum do not agree with the precepts of "diet management" (just another term for starvation). It is a theory that is much outdated.

Positive reinforcement is a far better method of making friends with your birds.

A little more information about the two will help us give you help on getting them to be your friends.

How long have you had them? What is their age? What do you know about their background? What have you tried as training treats?

Thanks again for taking these birds in.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm curious, what are you expecting from these birds? Pets? Breeders? Or were you just touched by their need and helping?

Mates, bonded. Not usually great pet material. They may allow you into their circle, but it will be on their terms. They do not need you, they have each other.

If you are OK with being an excepted/tolerated third wheel, you may enjoy these two for years and years.

You might even develop a deep close relationship them, but it will not be like one you'd have with a single, unmated bird.

IMO your best bet is to become a friend.

As for bribery with food. Good luck! Wrapped up in each other, you may find it hard to find that 'magic' thing that they want.

Don't give up trying though, I'm sure something is out there.

Smattext

Real Name
Scott Mattingley
Hi everyone im going to try to answer all these questions the best i can so i will start with the birds information that we know about them. First there ages are 21 and 22 according to the sanctuary the only information on them from the Sancuary starts with Dysney wich by the way i dont feel is completely true, just a gut feeling!! she was a pet a gentalman had in the mountains west of Boulder,Colorado. According to the sanctuary there was a forrest fire that burned down the mans home he got all his pets out safe there were dogs and cats along with Dysney. He brought her to the sanctuary to stay until the house could be rebuilt, while her stay at the sactuary she met merlin the scarlet. 2years later he came to get her and adopted merlin and took them both home,im not sure how long they were there ( this is the part im a little unsure about) but according to the sanctuary there was another forrest fire wich again burned his house down he was able to get his pets out but he inhaled tons of smoke and damaged his lungs so he was no longer able to care for the birds and they went back to the sanctuary that was in 2008. Where they have been untill about two months ago so we have had them for around two months. Now to the diet so far we have kept them on the diet the sanctuay had them on wich is mash in the morning and in the afternoon a pellet,seed and nut mix along with a vegatable and green mix and a peice of fruit. The book im reading is the parrot wizzard his name is micheal sahzin and what i mean by management is it says in the book to only leave the food in the cage for a couple of hours and then take it out so they cant snack all day. that way when you go to try and train them they will be more willing to do what you ask for a treat. He does say in the book that this is not inhumane because this is how it is in the wild. food is not always ready available in the wild, well i dont know never had a bird before so tried it in the first week their weights went from 1176 grams and 1128 grams to 1070 and 1057 not knowing if that was too much for a bird to lose it kinda scared me so we stopped and plus they still wouldnt do anything we asked no matter what we tried. The main reason i want to be able to handle them is so if we ever need to take them to the vet or take them out side to get some sun it would make me feel better that we have the ability to do so. As far as what we are expecting let me just say that i think i learned early on that these birds will never be the perfect pet and honestly i dont think that they will ever get to a point like i see so many birds that are playful and loving because they have each other and thats ok with me and it is more so with my wife our intentions were to give them a good home. We have done alot of research and our finding out that this has become an epidemic the sancuary we adopted them from has over a thousand birds. We have three dogs one cat and now two birds every animal we have is a rescue. But i do have to be honest i have met several cocatoos and have fell in love with most of them i do like the fact that these birds love and need so much attention so pretty soon im going to get a cockatoo is that bad to have macaws and a cockatoo in the same house!! But anyway my main reason to get information is so we can handle them like i said so we can get them to the vet or incase of an emergency or to get them outside i know they need the sun for the vitamin d

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hi everyone im going to try to answer all these questions the best i can so i will start with the birds information that we know about them. First there ages are 21 and 22 according to the sanctuary the only information on them from the Sancuary starts with Dysney wich by the way i dont feel is completely true, just a gut feeling!! she was a pet a gentalman had in the mountains west of Boulder,Colorado. According to the sanctuary there was a forrest fire that burned down the mans home he got all his pets out safe there were dogs and cats along with Dysney. He brought her to the sanctuary to stay until the house could be rebuilt, while her stay at the sactuary she met merlin the scarlet. 2years later he came to get her and adopted merlin and took them both home,im not sure how long they were there ( this is the part im a little unsure about) but according to the sanctuary there was another forrest fire wich again burned his house down he was able to get his pets out but he inhaled tons of smoke and damaged his lungs so he was no longer able to care for the birds and they went back to the sanctuary that was in 2008. Where they have been untill about two months ago so we have had them for around two months. Now to the diet so far we have kept them on the diet the sanctuay had them on wich is mash in the morning and in the afternoon a pellet,seed and nut mix along with a vegatable and green mix and a peice of fruit. The book im reading is the parrot wizzard his name is micheal sahzin and what i mean by management is it says in the book to only leave the food in the cage for a couple of hours and then take it out so they cant snack all day. that way when you go to try and train them they will be more willing to do what you ask for a treat. He does say in the book that this is not inhumane because this is how it is in the wild. food is not always ready available in the wild, well i dont know never had a bird before so tried it in the first week their weights went from 1176 grams and 1128 grams to 1070 and 1057 not knowing if that was too much for a bird to lose it kinda scared me so we stopped and plus they still wouldnt do anything we asked no matter what we tried. The main reason i want to be able to handle them is so if we ever need to take them to the vet or take them out side to get some sun it would make me feel better that we have the ability to do so. As far as what we are expecting let me just say that i think i learned early on that these birds will never be the perfect pet and honestly i dont think that they will ever get to a point like i see so many birds that are playful and loving because they have each other and thats ok with me and it is more so with my wife our intentions were to give them a good home. We have done alot of research and our finding out that this has become an epidemic the sancuary we adopted them from has over a thousand birds. We have three dogs one cat and now two birds every animal we have is a rescue. But i do have to be honest i have met several cocatoos and have fell in love with most of them i do like the fact that these birds love and need so much attention so pretty soon im going to get a cockatoo is that bad to have macaws and a cockatoo in the same house!! But anyway my main reason to get information is so we can handle them like i said so we can get them to the vet or incase of an emergency or to get them outside i know they need the sun for the vitamin d
Poor birds have had a rough life. I hope you all can enrich each others lives. :hug8:

:omg:

Be careful...That parrot wizard/ Micheal Sahzin is controversial!

Many people do not agree with some of his treatment/ training recommendations for birds...

The Parrot Wizard - aka Michael Sazhin - Setting the record Straight | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

No macaw expert but seem 100 grams is almost 10 % weight loss...seems like alot of weight.
A starving bird is not a bird that will train well as there thoughts & associations are just frantic.

There diet seems fine to me...

Macaws have sensitive lungs & exposure to cockatoo dust can cause illness. Its not recommended to keep these in close contact even with hepa filters...

Please do some research on Macaws & cockatoos dust danger.

Smattext

Real Name
Scott Mattingley
OK thank you for the link that is definatley Micheal sahzin and i really think i will stop reading the book and im going to stop the weight management all together. I am really glad i joined to get this type of information and im feeling really guilty for having done the weight management. Thank you so much for this information!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

For your two birds exposure to a cockatoo would be particularly dangerous. They have already been exposed to significant smoke and the exposure to cockatoo dust can only exacerbate any damage that has already been done to their lungs. Please read this and take it to heart.
How a bird breathes;
How the Respiratory System of Birds Works
Pulmonary Hypersensitivity syndrone
Cardio, Respiratory and Circulatory Diseases | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

PHS is real and some forum members have lost their birds due to this disease.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
PS - don't give up on being able to handle them both. It may take years, but it can happen. My two GWs were a bonded pair and after about three years after getting the female I could handle them without problems.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
You were wise to stop the curtailing of the food - that is a lot to lose, especially given that they're in a stressful situation to begin with as they moved to a new home. If you're going to keep these guys together, they will probably never be all that interested in having much of a relationship with you. That can be fine though. If you wanted to up your odds of bonding with them, you could try splitting them up - separate cages, separate rooms, no visits, the works. It would take up a lot of space in your home, and double your "work load." If you DID split them up, then you'd really need to commit to forming bonds with them - they need relationships, just like the rest of us. You may never be able to handle them without certain precautions either, so be well aware of that. You should probably look into training them to step onto a T stick - this will offer you the most protection, should one decide to bite you. These guys can do serious damage, so please err on the side of caution until you know the lay of the land. One nice thing about macaws is that they are rarely "unpredictable" if you are paying attention to their body language. Cockatoos have a reputation for being much more unpredictable, but I really think that it's because we humans don't discern their "tells" as readily. Sally Blanchard has some good techniques for handling difficult/dangerous birds (though I don't love everything she talks about). Having a distraction ready to hold up in their face is a good technique to avoid a bite. Even tame and friendly macaws can be overly beaky sometimes, and I'd bet that we all use the distraction idea at times. I've read Michael's book - it was so-so in my opinion. In my opinion it focused far too much on control and manipulation than forging a bond (I just think you CANNOT really appreciate a bird without an actual bond), though I know he has good success with taming birds. Barbara Heindrich (sp??) has some really good training materials as well that may really help you out. You may need to learn how to safely wrap them in a towel to place them in a carrier for vet trips - how did you get them to your house and into their current cage? Can they fly? Do you let them out of their cage now? Will they come out of their cage? Will they go back in? Just spending undemanding time with them is a good start - sit by their cage and open the mail, read a book, etc. Give them a treat occasionally as you sit there - scrambled eggs, nuts, fruit, and a bit of junk food might go a long way to befriending them.

If you get a cockatoo, your macaws may suffer health consequences for the dust exposure. Blue and golds seem to suffer more than others, but it may be that B/G's are just more numerous than the others. An air filter can solve that problem though, and distance within your home will also help.

Smattext

Real Name
Scott Mattingley
I'm gonna answer your questions when I can I'm at work right now but I'm kinda thrown off on the dust from the cockatoos the reason being that the place where we adopted them they have like this front office where you go in and it's not a huge room by any means but it's probably a little bigger then your average main bedroom and they have cages that full the room up with mostly cockatoos and macaws and there pretty close together although they have the macaws line up next to each other and the cockatoos lined up next to each other but there all in the same room so to hear that about the dust is kind of shocking