• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Bird Owner, Need Help

Noah

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Noah Smith
So about two months ago, I got a baby cinnamon conure. His name is Jasper, and he's been developing good. He already knows a few words and he can mimic a kissing sound. He drinks a lot of water (not to the point where it's a problem, though) and he eats a LOT! I'm just worried about his behavior. My mom bought him a mirror, which I thought was fine, but apparently mirrors are bad for birds, so I took it out. During the period the mirror was there, he started acting aggressively. Of course, it wasn't anything I couldn't handle, but it still hurt when he bit. The mirror was only there for a week, but within the first day he ripped it apart. My mom put it back together, and put it back in. It's been almost a week, and he's still being aggressive. He hasn't been AS aggressive, but he still is. He's also been more playful, and he likes to rapidly bob his head, as if he's saying "Yes".

So, my point is, why is my bird being aggressive and why is he bobbing his head like that???

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Bump.

galah!

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pia
is this your very first bird? i have heard that mirrors can make birds aggressive, i can't say much else, maybe try clicker training?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mirrors can confuse birds, making them think there is a potential mate or rival in the cage with them. I would remove the mirror as he obviously doesn't like it. He might be biting you out is misplaced aggression since he can't bite the rival.

How old is he?

Noah

Real Name
Noah Smith
The mirror was removed about four days ago. He's back to his normal self. Of course, he still nibbles when he doesn't want to come out, but that's normal. He's less than a year old, that's all I can really tell. He got disease tested and all that in early November, and his cage said he was still a baby, so we're guessing he was hatched around September or October, August at most. I'm just confused about the head bobbing. Most of the time he does it when i'm going to take him out and he's excited, but one time he spit up a small seed on me, so I think he may be regurgitating.

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
:smileflower:He's bobbing his head to get your attention. He's regurgitating for you to express his affection for you. As gross as it can be, it's very sweet of him. I have a Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure. He doesn't crave a lot of attention, but when he wants some he bobs around. Best of luck with your little buddy.

Noah

Real Name
Noah Smith
:smileflower:He's bobbing his head to get your attention. He's regurgitating for you to express his affection for you. As gross as it can be, it's very sweet of him. I have a Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure. He doesn't crave a lot of attention, but when he wants some he bobs around. Best of luck with your little buddy.
Aww! I thought he didn't like me because he's always calm and nice around other people, but he always bites and nibbles me.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
The nodding can be a conure way of saying that they're excited or that everything is all good. Try nodding back! Josie and I do fast and slow bobs at each other, it's a great game!

When you say he's drinking "a lot" how much are we talking about? Also, what's he eating? Has he had a vet visit?

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Definitely don't do the mirror thing again. Like was mentioned they can get nervous and think it is another bird. They don't realize that they are looking at their reflection like people do.
Make sure he has things to do in his cage. Things to chew on (safe things), etc. Give him things to eat that require work to engage his mind, for example, crack a walnut in its shell but not all the way through so he has to pull it apart. Spend lots of time with him and understand that he is a baby and doesn't know much yet.
Its important to stay calm with your bird and not let him see aggressive behaviours around the house like people fighting as this will stress him thinking his family is so aggressive. Over time you will get to know your bird's personality and understand what all his sounds and movements mean.
Because you have a kind of bird that doesn't talk a lot, he will develop other sounds that are easier for him to make in order to communicate with you. My bird has whistles and clicks that he uses to make comments and ask for things. For example, the sound of a nut cracking means he wants a nut in the shell. When he makes the washing machine beep, he wants to hang out with somebody while they do house work. When he makes microwave beeps, he wants a warm meal, etc.

If your bird tries to vomit in your mouth you need to react positively even if you find it gross. This is one of the highest forms of respect and attention your bird can show to you. He is saying he cares enough about you to pre-digest your food for you.

Enjoy your friend and remember that having a parrot is like having a kid and you need to spend lots of time with them. You both need to learn about eachother. He will live a long time and be a kid for a long time.

Good luck!

-Pablo and George the senegal parrot

Noah

Real Name
Noah Smith
The nodding can be a conure way of saying that they're excited or that everything is all good. Try nodding back! Josie and I do fast and slow bobs at each other, it's a great game!

When you say he's drinking "a lot" how much are we talking about? Also, what's he eating? Has he had a vet visit?
He doesn't drink as much anymore, but he's drinking a healthy amount. He still eats a lot though, but i've heard this is normal. His poop says he's healthy, so I'm not worried about that anymore.