• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird mom

Allysanne Lord

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Allysanne
Hello everyone, I'm a new bird mom to a beautiful Orange Winged Amazon. I always love learning new things with anything that has to do with birds. I've noticed my boy scratches alot and was thinking it might be beneficial if I got him an air humidifier or an air purifier. I would love to hear everybody's thought in what might help. Thank you in advance :)

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Welcome to the Avian Avenue! Congrats on being a new "parront"! What's your Amazon's name? Has he had a chance to take a birdie bath recently? If she/he's feeling itchy, a few sprays with a water bottle might do wonders for them (or even a full-on 'under the tap' bath if they are comfortable with one). I'm sure others will be able to help with more ideas, but for starters I thought this would help. And yes, a humidifier (esp. depending on where you live) can be very helpful, along with an air filter/purifier.

Allysanne Lord

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Allysanne
His name is Sunrise! I have given him a good spray down on friday and he loved it. I've missed him a couple times over the past couple days but doesnt seem interested in it, should i be spraying him everyday?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Parrots don't need baths everyday. I usually just do once a week. Some people do more, some less. And if my bird doesn't seem interested in bathing on a certain day, I don't do it. I always want bath time to be something fun for him. :)

Last edited:

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have two lovebirds.... the one that likes to be handled will have a bath under the tap when he wants to. I offer him about every day, but he will have it probably about two maybe three times a week.... of course the times he chooses is when I am in a rush! LOL.... the other one does not like to be handled and he will bathe in his water dish when he wants to.

I am interested to hear if I should be spraying them everyday though as well.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the forum! Parrots don't need baths everyday. I usually just do once a week. Some people do more, some less. And if by bird doesn't seem interested in bathing on a certain day, I don't do it. I always want bath time to be something fun for him. :)
Well.... you posted this as I was tying my last message.... question answered!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum Allysanne and Sunrise :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:hello1:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Cheers to the amazons! And all birds and their parronts!!! Welcome to you and your bird.

Last edited:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Welcome to the forum! Parrots don't need baths everyday. I usually just do once a week. Some people do more, some less. And if my bird doesn't seem interested in bathing on a certain day, I don't do it. I always want bath time to be something fun for him. :)
I couldn't have said this better myself. :)

Welcome to the forum Allysanne and Sunrise :)
Farlie is a, sometimes more, bird. He sometimes likes a bath/shower as often as 3 times a day. I use a LARGE spray bottle and he loves to get ABSOLUTELY SOAKED, and I mean drenched right to the bone. I believe his instinct somehow associates this with being in a rain shower somewhere in the jungles of the Amazon.

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here!