• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird, hot and cold behaviour?

Nejibana

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tia
This is my first bird ever, He’s a budgie and not hand reared or tame, I’ve had him for about 5 days now. I’ve been working on getting him to trust me, I sit next to his cage to read every day and talk to him.
After a few days I could change his food and water without scaring him and even managed to pat his belly once, but today his gotten really agitated, chirping a lot, and flying around his cage.
He keeps climbing all over the cage walls and running back and forth across his perches, but it’s as close to me as he can get, so I’m not sure what he’s after, whenever I move my hands too close he flys away and then comes right back, if I ignore him, he starts chirping.

I’ve tried offering seeds and treats but he isn’t very interested in food. Does anyone know what I could try next?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried millet? Budgies generally like millet a lot and can be used as a treat.
You have only had him for 5 days so be patient and don't try to touch him or have him step up if he is not willing to do that right now.

Nejibana

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tia
Have you tried millet? Budgies generally like millet a lot and can be used as a treat.
You have only had him for 5 days so be patient and don't try to touch him or have him step up if he is not willing to do that right now.
He has a millet spray in his cage and actually doesn’t seem that fussed with it. If he starts to get fidgety I remove my hand straight away, at the moment he tolerates my hand in the cage but sometimes moves away if I get to close, other times he doesn’t seem to mind it.
His feet are malformed, so he sometimes gets a bit stuck when he can’t grip the cage bars properly, he loves when I put my finger in for him to grip onto and will often put himself in the exact same position even after I help him out?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
For only having him for five days, you've already progressed a lot! But you shouldn't pet his belly. Birds don't pet eachother anywhere below the neck unless they want to initiate baby making time. I've also noticed that my budgies don't really want to be pet, but every bird is an individual. If your budgie will let you pet him, start with the beak. Don't corner or chase him and hold your finger still for him to explore himself. My boys will nibble on my fingernails and sometimes let me pet their beaks.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Keep doing what you have been doing. It will take time and patience.
You are very well.