• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird guy....This is going to be an adventure...

Looper

Checking out the neighborhood
IMG_20180712_200200.jpg

Hello,

I'm sorry for the novel I'm about to write, but I enjoy typing and explaining things in detail.

Truth be told, I don't even know where to begin. I of course have been a regular lurker for some time during my research phase over the last 5-6 months. Long short story long, I thought a $200 yellow sided Conure was a well priced investment to introduce myself to the avian world. $1000+ later I laugh at how naive thinking 'cheap' but well meaning was a viable route. Large cage, toys, bird, treats, food, fruits, veggies among things I'm likely not even thinking about.

My name is Pat, a very new owner of my yellow sided Conure named Khalessi. The wife and I came up with Khalessi as Game of Throne fans. The mother of dragons. It suited her personality and went with it. I lie, she said it has to be Khalessi and my options were met with but... but...No blood for DNA so we're just rolling with her being a girl :)

edit: I forgot to mention. She is now 12 weeks old.

On to my comments, questions an dizzying overall adventure. What I learned so far, is everything you think you know before getting the bird is fantastic and all, but no amount of research prepares you for the "what to do, how to do, should I do" since each bird as I've read 1000 times is very different. I did want to go with a rescue but as a first time bird owner (something I've wanted to get in to for over 20) years. Even had the option of an African Grey as he was offered to me for free, but I didn't feel comfortable 10+ years ago to dive in to a bird like him, I felt it wasn't in his best interest. Wish I did now looking back, but what can you do?

I went with a breeder. That in itself in Canada around the Toronto area is beyond ridiculous. I struggle to trust people and when I see people using others pictures or they have 200 adds up in 3 months and rush me on the phone or wings already clipped at 6 weeks or 7 I forget what she said, another 3-4 really sketchy folks until I came across someone who after much research had this beautiful yellow sided conure with feathers that were really nice, unlike others I've seen, she was hand fed, actual pictures of her perched on their hand and had me a little more comfortable. Also fully flighted.

Our introduction was odd, they brought her, she flew to my face, felt like a hover in slow-mo and then went and perched somewhere for them to get her and place her in the travel cage.

Stay with me here... She was a agitated but not scared when putting her in big cage at home. From day one, she never sat away from me. She was as curious about me as I was her. No vocalization until later that night where we heard a few little noises. She's always been openly goofy, spunky, funny since day one. She appears happy, feathers still look awesome, I feel like a kid in a candy store seeing her open her wings. I plan to keep her flighted but here is where my questions come.

I knew Conures are nippy going in and owning a bird and thinking you won't be bit is silly. I'm sure everyone has been bit that owns a bird. I'm now working on 3 weeks with her, I'm a stay at home dad that has an aspie son that I also home school due to some of his behavior after trying him in 3 schools. So Khalessi is (i think?) lucky to have me pretty near sitting near her cage or around her cage .....a lot.

She bonded with me after about day 10. I'll attach picture of the first time she let me or I should say really wanted me to rub her neck. In between all of this I have attempted to take her out several times, my hands already look like I been in a few brawls. In the picture you can see one of the cuts that drew blood. I'm fortunate enough that I have Nest cameras setup in my house so I tend to go back and watch what I did wrong if (every time) she bites me and every time, sure enough I seen that I moved this way or down or tried getting her off my finger to her play stand and she didn't want to go (felt longer in my head) but I did hold my hand long enough that should have been obvious she didn't and sure enough I was bit.

I need help understanding pressure training. I'm already doing target training, she caught that beyond fast where I don't really use a chop stick anymore, I started using my finger instead so she could get used to my hands, that was before she let me touch her. She's very happy to come out, so much so I can't even give her a treat in her cage, she says *NOPE* and comes outside the cage then hangs out. She doesn't nip, I haven't felt a single nip yet. I've only received blood drawn bits, every one of them.

I reward her when she is very gentle with my hands and praise her so much that she does this weird thing my son asks (why is she acting like a dog) holds foot up to grab my finger, neck down under her belly rolls over, lets me rub her neck and head with some cute sounds from her. I read a lot about bird signs and fear feathers and all that jazz, but I'm a wimp with needles and she's no exception. Opening the cage is like walking in to the doctor for a daily needle. Trying to work with something I read about deep breath, go in calm, relaxed and yesterday was great, son came out of his room, freaked her out, she some how ended up on my headphones mic boom (Use headphones for now to protect my ears with her biting) and she ended up a little too close to my face but I stood still since I knew he startled her was bit twice, left cheek, thankfully less sensitive than the hands so she didn't see that those hurt.

She's a night time talker, very talkative and lets me know she's ready. I think we bonded quick because I've spent an obscene amount of hours with her already, but those blood drawing bites keep my stress levels up and I know she gets more irritated when I don't let her out as often as I'd like. Ideally, she will be out of her cage from morning to night as far as I'm concerned aside from things that require her in it.

She will come out, I could be anywhere in the house, she will always fly to me, she will step up but we haven't tried much step down because even when perched on my finger for some reason she chomps at my skin like there was a Nutri-Berrie under there, so much so I had to gently lift her beak up one time to release from her death grip of a bit. Earthquake method doesn't appear to work, I've tried the moving of the arm enough to throw her off balance but that doesn't work, she stays latched. She wants to step up so much so that she does it when I'm rubbing her through the cage, both feet placed on a small part of my finger and I swear she's very good and knowing how to pull the heart strings.

Overall, I feel I've been lucky so far. Very, very affectionate and loving, talking already ( i think she says Hello ) but that different sound when she talks, she seems over all happy, 2 water bowls, 1 bowl for fruits and veggies other for a small amount of pellets. She's won me over, I'm not going anywhere but trying to figure out how to build the darn courage to open the cage and receive my daily bites.

I should mention I have also tried the 'time out' method of putting her back in after a bite but I don't feel it's changing anything. I have been doing my best to reward good behavior and she does have times she's very gentle with my hands threw the cage, and I reward for that too and praise. I'm sure it's just a matter of being consistent but I'm sure she feels my trepidation when opening her cage every time no matter how much I try to it's there. That's why my doctor calls me a football player sized baby when it comes to a needle :D

In my early attempts a day before she let me touch her, put the top of my head on the cage to see if she'd preen me, and she did. I felt since then is why she allowed me near her.

My last question would be an interesting one I've seen answered many ways and it's hard to figure it out because I've tried both but letting her sit with me near her cage or away from it. Near it, was the day I was bit on the cheek, but that wasn't because of something I did. She sat with me through my nervousness and when I sit away I feel taking her away from her comfort zone can cause issues of fear, but being near can cause territorial issues too.

Anyhow I should contact a publisher if I keep writing. I know the most common topic is biting but I rarely see things about human fear of opening the cage daily and how to work with those issues. I know training and such but she wants on me, near me and doesn't want to be even 2 feet from me. Being flighted doesn't help since she can come when she pleases. I don't have a T-stand which I will be buying soon and it may help.

How do each of you do this with the Macaws and Too's? I feel like her tiny beak, though tiny is like feeling a papercut. Hurts more than you'd think it would. Here I am hoping for a grey one day and I can't man up enough to deal with a small bite from my goof ball :)

I'll end here, I feel like I should have left a case of water for anyone brave enough to have read it all. I know I rambled a lot. Sorry about that.

Thanks and Hello!

IMG_20180709_114257.jpg IMG_20180712_200200.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I would only let her come out on her own, not reach in to get her. A lot of birds are cage territorial. I would also work on having her step up on a perch and not your finger. Also, although it's hard to do because they're so cute, I wouldn't let her near your face/on your shoulder. Even little beaks can do damage to your face, and shoulders are to be a privilege. Try keeping her on your arm down by your stomach. And I think a playstand or t-stand is a good idea as you mentioned.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Khalessi. :) (I love her name!)

It sounds like you and her have come a long way...kudos to you both.
I wouldn't let her near your face/on your shoulder. Even little beaks can do damage to your face, and shoulders are to be a privilege.
Agreed...young birds will find it easy to accept boundaries...your shoulders and head are your "personal space"...and time on your shoulder should always be a privilege your bird earns by building respect and trust in you...and you in her.
How do each of you do this with the Macaws and Too's? I feel like her tiny beak, though tiny is like feeling a papercut. Hurts more than you'd think it would. Here I am hoping for a grey one day and I can't man up enough to deal with a small bite from my goof ball :)
Getting chomped on is certainly no fun...I've been nailed countless times by my birds...including by Milton. (in avatar) I guess you kind of build up a tolerance to biting as time goes by. I like to say, "I respect the beak, I don't fear it"...the more fear you project, the easier it is for your bird to pick up on...which will put the bird on guard...and possibly make it more likely that you'll be bitten.

One other thing about bites...some of the nastiest bites I've gotten have come from smaller sized species...BUDGIES and Conures...budgies grab as much flesh as the can (and you'd be surprised how much skin they can get in their little beaks ;)) and shake.

Conures grab you and dig in...nasty bites..

Looper

Welcome to the forum. I would only let her come out on her own, not reach in to get her. A lot of birds are cage territorial. I would also work on having her step up on a perch and not your finger. Also, although it's hard to do because they're so cute, I wouldn't let her near your face/on your shoulder. Even little beaks can do damage to your face, and shoulders are to be a privilege. Try keeping her on your arm down by your stomach. And I think a playstand or t-stand is a good idea as you mentioned.
Thanks and to be honest, I haven't even attempted to step up inside the cage. I only know about her darting out when I put in new toys or open the cage to clean something. I think my own apprehension of being bit stops me from having her move from my shoulder. She's only been there once which was the face bite time. She will step up almost ridiculously easy. She wants to be with and near me and putting my hand there to step up, my own fear gets in the way of that darn bite.

Been trying to also find the best time of day to let her out too. Debated on near bed time since she's always calmer hours before and when it's time to sleep she starts her rapid talking. The head was as mentioned due to the headphones I had on, situation of my son coming out of his room like an elephant leaving the room and I think it startled her. I too in that time freaked out but I didn't get upset with her, she stepped on my arm and I used a berry to get her in the cage. Sometimes I think she looks at me like I'm crazy and she is just telling me "I only want to hang out with you"

I genuinely feel she's unique in her own way, not aggressive and I love her to death already. Personal fears get in the way right now. Trying to figure those out and how you all get through that stuff.

Welcome to you and Khalessi. :) (I love her name!)

It sounds like you and her have come a long way...kudos to you both.

Agreed...young birds will find it easy to accept boundaries...your shoulders and head are your "personal space"...and time on your shoulder should always be a privilege your bird earns by building respect and trust in you...and you in her.

Getting chomped on is certainly no fun...I've been nailed countless times by my birds...including by Milton. (in avatar) I guess you kind of build up a tolerance to biting as time goes by. I like to say, "I respect the beak, I don't fear it"...the more fear you project, the easier it is for your bird to pick up on...which will put the bird on guard...and possibly make it more likely that you'll be bitten.

One other thing about bites...some of the nastiest bites I've gotten have come from smaller sized species...BUDGIES and Conures...budgies grab as much flesh as the can (and you'd be surprised how much skin they can get in their little beaks ;)) and shake.

Conures grab you and dig in...nasty bites..
Well my wife says I give the bird more attention and my excuse is I want her to bond with me and I selfishly want her to essentially hang out with me as much as possible around the house and let her do her own thing which is why I prefer not to clip her. Something majestic seeing her fly. I'm still so new to this that the natural *DUCK* instinct is an issue when she flies towards me. I feel pretty special having a bird bonded to me enough to want to be with me and that is why I wanted to buy and get involved in the Avian world.

One other thing about bites...some of the nastiest bites
See that's the thing I've been saying to my wife this whole time. I know a bigger bird would absolutely hurt but at least they'd have my bone or something in there. That tiny bite is all skin and she loves to do that shake like I'm food. I read over a few threads these last few days about pressure training etc. I try to repeat "gentle" through the cage when shes biting, nipping or on the bars. It has started to work through the cage but I haven't had the chance to try that outside the cage.

It's been as I said an adventure. Some lifestyle changes but none I didn't expect going in.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
T perch.

Secret taught me well...... I don't open that bird's cage without one.

Looper

T perch.

Secret taught me well...... I don't open that bird's cage without one.
Even though she's flighted? I feel like I'd put her down and she'd just fly over to me as soon as I put her down. Do you have one you'd recommend?

Not sure if to sort of build one with a regular tripod and something like this Dragonwood T Perch - Large | Parrot Trends Canada (not sure if i'm allowed to share links, I need to look for the rules again)
or would something like this work even though it's not a bare bonds tstand. Playstand B71 | Parrot Trends Canada

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hello and welcome! Glad that you're no longer lurking and ready to dig in with your new AA family!
Your new baby is darling! Sounds like you have done your research splendidly and are open to learning more and to grow with your bird! Love this!
Looking forward to reading all about Khaleesi in the days to come!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'll tag someone for you. @JLcribber can tell you how to fix one up

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting Khalessi. Great name, btw! She's very cute.
You might want to check these two websites regarding behavioral issues such as biting:
Welcome to BehaviorWorks.org
Training Parrots | Parrot Training DVDS & Books
I am far from an expert on biting but having a t-stick or dowel/perch nearby is always a good idea. It's never fun being bitten and sometimes it happens unexpectedly and one isn't prepared for it. Some birds give warning signs such as eye pinning, tail flaring and puffing/fluffing up but some just latch on and you don't know it's coming.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Welcome aboard.

I should mention I have also tried the 'time out' method of putting her back in after a bite but I don't feel it's changing anything.
Of course not. Punishment doesn't solve anything and sooner or later will make things worse. Using the "cage" as the source of punishment amplifies that. Making them resent the very thing they need and we want them to love.
Discipline/punishment. Just bad advice. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I know the most common topic is biting but I rarely see things about human fear of opening the cage daily and how to work with those issues.
Being flighted doesn't help since she can come when she pleases. I don't have a T-stand which I will be buying soon and it may help.
If you read this thread you'll get lots of insight. You don't just need a T stand.
Pictures - The T stick. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

How do each of you do this with the Macaws and Too's?

Once you begin to become a pretty good "zookeeper" (because that's what a parrot owner is) you start to realize that these just aren't pets but animals that need to be "managed". That is done with "tools" and the "environment we provide". A zookeeper that looks after sharks NEVER puts their hand in/around the sharks mouth no matter how tame that shark may appear simply because that shark will take your arm off. Extreme analogy but the same principle.

If you live with a feathered shark you need to keep your flesh out of target range of the beak and AVOID those bites in the way you handle them.

And every so often you screw up and get nailed in spite of being a great stick handler.

Looper

Hello and welcome! Glad that you're no longer lurking and ready to dig in with your new AA family!
Your new baby is darling! Sounds like you have done your research splendidly and are open to learning more and to grow with your bird! Love this!
Looking forward to reading all about Khaleesi in the days to come!
Yeah I tend to lurk a lot of forums and read as much as possible. Thank you for the warm welcome.

I'll tag someone for you. @JLcribber can tell you how to fix one up
Thank you.

Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting Khalessi. Great name, btw! She's very cute.
You might want to check these two websites regarding behavioral issues such as biting:
Welcome to BehaviorWorks.org
Training Parrots | Parrot Training DVDS & Books
I am far from an expert on biting but having a t-stick or dowel/perch nearby is always a good idea. It's never fun being bitten and sometimes it happens unexpectedly and one isn't prepared for it. Some birds give warning signs such as eye pinning, tail flaring and puffing/fluffing up but some just latch on and you don't know it's coming.
Thank you and we didn't want to go with a common "coco" or "birdie" name. Nothing wrong with them but we found her being "the mother of dragons" added some spunk to her name since she has a lot of personality. For example, tonight is the first night I ... think(?) she didn't want her cage covered. She got pretty upset when I covered it. I bought one of those large full covers that has a front flap you can lift up. I left that part open and she fell asleep looking at me, I read too in to it but I love the damn bird already :D

Thanks for the links, I'll give them a read in the morning. I'm still trying to learn her signs by doing different things. She has a lot of them so trying to find the one that I'd like to really know is a struggle at the moment since there isn't much time before the bite. Her eyes are too dark to see the pinning, though I can see it if bright enough. I tried a spray bottle tonight to see how she liked the misting...I found out really fast what a "Don't come near me" face looks like and we stopped with the spray very quickly LOL.

Welcome aboard.

Of course not. Punishment doesn't solve anything and sooner or later will make things worse. Using the "cage" as the source of punishment amplifies that. Making them resent the very thing they need and we want them to love.
Discipline/punishment. Just bad advice. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

If you read this thread you'll get lots of insight. You don't just need a T stand.
Pictures - The T stick. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Once you begin to become a pretty good "zookeeper" (because that's what a parrot owner is) you start to realize that these just aren't pets but animals that need to be "managed". That is done with "tools" and the "environment we provide". A zookeeper that looks after sharks NEVER puts their hand in/around the sharks mouth no matter how tame that shark may appear simply because that shark will take your arm off. Extreme analogy but the same principle.

If you live with a feathered shark you need to keep your flesh out of target range of the beak and AVOID those bites in the way you handle them.

And every so often you screw up and get nailed in spite of being a great stick handler.
I tried the cage "time out" twice and after some reading somewhere, it clicked when I read about not wanting her to hate her cage. I don't use the cage for that at all, I think a perch may be a life saver, we will see. I want her cage to be a fun place to be so that method is gone.

I will check out the thread come morning. Though extreme I don't disagree. My wife's parents have a pitbull and though he's an absolute suck and loves to cuddle, I don't put my hand near his mouth. Not that I don't trust him, I'd rather just not do it. I know the bites are a pain in the butt but
I find it kind of funny how much a tiny beak can hurt the hand. I'm still learning her moods and I don't tend to let her out when she seems aggitated up and down head movement and seems overly excitable. I know for sure we will work on the biting and get it fixed.

Thanks for all the links and kind regards.