• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Bird (Budgie)

LisFr

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi....I am new to this site.
I bought a budgie from the pet store about 5 weeks ago. He is beautiful but still very nervous and not trusting at all. I spend a lot of time with him, talking to him and slowly placing my hand in the cage. He will "step up" when I have millet spray, but he is very uncomfortable doing it. With patience I hope he will come around.
My problem is that his poop gets stuck in his feathers. He does not have diarrhea and his poop seems normal. But I wonder.? I noticed this right away with him, but did not think much of it. I can clean him up and he is ok for a while, but then it happens again. I have had a budgie before, he became very tame and trusting and he never had that problem.
Luna eats well, seeds and veggies like spinach and parsley every day. I also offer apple, red pepper etc., but so far he sticks with the spinach and parsley...I have never seen him drink water from the water bottle (changed every day) , but he has a little drinking cup, and the veggies are being served wet. And I se him drink water from the drops on the spinach.
He is lively and talkative, and I would hate to bring him to the vet. since that would be very traumatic to him. Has anyone else had this problem?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. It's always a good idea for a new bird to have a vet check.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Most birds do not get poop on them unless there is a health related problem. Now that isn't always the case but if its happening frequently it makes me wonder if something internally could be going on. Have you had this baby to an avian vet yet? The vet although it can be a traumatic experience it can also be a good experience. Birds hide illness VERY well. So without a vet check from a certified avian vet you really won't know if this bird is truly healthy.

As far as the water, water bottles are very hard for birds to learn how to use. Personally I find it easier for me and the birds just to do bowls. That way they can bathe and such as they wish and don't have to learn to drink from a big scary thing!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I also think a vet check is a good idea. Usually poop on the bum is a sign something is wrong, unless he's accidentally rubbing himself on the poop after he goes due to the cage set up. All four of my birds drink out of small 5oz water bottles, and learned how very easily. Once he settles in, and if you need help on how to do it, let me know. I like that they can't poop in them lol! You just have to make sure you wash them daily, and sterilize every once in a while.

LisFr

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you all. I have an appointment with the vet on Wednesday. Luna has both a water bottle and a bowl of water so it should be easy enough and he loves wet spinach.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Luna. Good that you are taking him to vet and hope all will be well.