• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird behavior

RitaMcG

Meeting neighbors
Got this girlee day before yesterday. Shes quiet and seems sleepy today but very much a baby so is this ok ? I know she is stressed from food change and leaving her friends. She in quaranteen in our bathroom. She is fro a petstore. I was just looking and she cocked her head and leaned forward.....i fell for her. She hops right on my hand, not scared. Vent a dirty today. But she sits in pellets then in water dish. So not sure why .im thinking to watch closely and give a little time to settle. Sound like reasonable plan? Possibly i changed food to fast? Thoughts? Have not had a budgie in years.picture coming

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
It's normal for a new budgie to be a bit "off" when they come to their new home. Everything is new and scary and it takes time to settle in.

You can try covering her cage on three sides with a towel or blanket to make her feel more comfortable.

A fast change in diet can trigger looser than normal poops, but she should adjust soon.

Like any new pet, you should take her to the vet for a wellness check, especially before you introduce her to your other birds (and props to you for quarantining her!)

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Does she have seed mix in her food dish? Is she eating?
Is her water dish right next to her IF she is not moving much?

Stress, new home, new people and new sounds around her is a lot for a little budgie.

The most important for now is that she eats. Millet spray almost always works.

Looking at the pics and seeing her right next to the mirror, I have a feeling she might feel lost, lonely.

RitaMcG

Meeting neighbors
Thank you ... she is much improved. I think she was lonely. Been playing budgie noises. She reallyperked up. Eating and drinking well. Also now sporting a name. Tiki! O totally,agree she is cute!

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Yay! So glad she's perked up. She's SO stinkin' adorable! And those huge baby eyes! :xflove:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Such a tiny cutie! :swoon:
A dirty vent is usually not a good sign. I hope you can get her to a vet soon. My birds are all very clean when it comes to their behinds.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
seeing her right next to the mirror, I have a feeling she might feel lost, lonely.
Budgies from a pet store easily take 2-3 weeks to settle in. It took JoJo almost a week to start chirping when people were near.
Not only are people giants, they look like predators because our eyes are in front not on the sides.
A dirty vent is definitely a bad sign. Make sure a vet checks her out!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Budgie s have a strong flock instinct. She needs a budgie friend.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I would not switch her food cold turkey as some budgies would rather starve then eat other types of foods I would slowly change her diet if your concerned on her eating healthy

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Looking at the pics and seeing her right next to the mirror, I have a feeling she might feel lost, lonely.
It took JoJo a few days to chirp around me. He didn't even want me to see him vulnerable and eating. Budgie sound apps are a good idea if not overused.
It usually takes pet store budgie 2-3 weeks to aclimate to a new environment. People are giants to them and, with our eyes in the front of our heads, we look to them like predators.
I agree. Her vent shouldn't be dirty ever. She needs to get checked.

RitaMcG

Meeting neighbors
Tiki has settled in and is doing great! Presiding over the bathroom like quarantine royalty!
The cere is changing ..getting more purple. Super sweet baby!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a doll she is!!! Where on earth did you find that precious pink cage? What a love.

RitaMcG

Meeting neighbors
20180514_101203.jpg 20180514_101203.jpg 20180514_101417.jpg 20180514_101417.jpg sorry about double pics.
Im so proud of her sitting on my hand at her choice! She looks alot like your profile pic! Tha cage was a happy accident.someone got it as a gift and never used it. Its small but ok for quarantine.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She is Lemon and Lime. And oh so cute.

RitaMcG

Meeting neighbors
Thank you. I think she looks like dinner minnts

Reactions: LSA

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
She is adorable. You really lucked out on finding a calm, tame girl from a pet store - I don't blame you for snatching her up!!