• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New beginnings

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I totally agree with Zara! Letting a bird come to you at their choice makes a really awesome relationship. That feeling when they choose to hop on to you is so exciting and rewarding. :)

I can understand a concern if Kiwi got out when you weren't expecting it though. I do think time out of the cage will be the best bonding experience.

When Neptune flew to me the first time I was so tickled and beside myself.. like he chose me! yay! The relationship quickly become more positive from that point, when they decide they trust you.

Pi was a little different.. he was tragically clipped right before I got him. I was very annoyed at the breeder. I gave him a lot of his own space. He still eventually hopped over to the the couch and jumped on my shoulder at his own pace. Then he started preening and getting ready for a nap.. so that was also really awesome. I felt like he was a bit more dependent on me because of his disability. Can't wait for him to get his wings back. He is clearly frustrated that he can't fly. He will jump around the carpet flapping as hard as he can :(

EmsyMarie

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys, thank you for your responses. Kiwi is definitely enjoying his time outside his cage but he is still a nightmare to get back in. He is out for over 2 hours at the moment until he decides to go back in lol. However he is landing back on his cage and eating Millet on top. :)

He is moulting at the moment and I definitely think the back of his head is getting more blue!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He´s a little cutie!! So adorable ❤

Try this, don´t leave so much millet there like that.

When you are near him or he comes near you, give him a cluster.

Then later to help you get him in the cage you can cut an inch off the sprig and leave in in there for him to tuck in to when he´s back in the cage :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I second Zara's thought. Millet portions seem pretty large. Give him a smaller piece :) You can even give a single floret from the sprig. If you are thinking of training treat ideas, mashed up walnuts (so tiny tiny pieces) and sesame seeds are very popular in my house, but a sesame seed size treat, that is the size you are working with here.

Oh my Kiwi is too cute! I have a real soft sport for the wild type colouration. If it is his first major adult molt his colours will get richer in general. The back of his head is probably graying more so than blue. Males have brown-gray-bluish feathers on their backs, wings and tops of heads.

This wild male was photographed in Peru I think. Not my photo. Your little dude will keep his richer greens, but they will probably seem brighter after a molt. Especially if you have him on a nice healthy diet.

Forpus_coelestis_-Peru_-male-8.jpg

Slightly darker green wild boys in the link below.

Pacific Parrotlet | Pacific Parrotlet (Forpus coelestis) . N… | Flickr

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Cuteness! (so is that photo, @fashionfobie )

A few thoughts about birds going back into cages..........

Why would he want to go back in, all the exciting stuff is out here?

* in is just as comfortable as out, it has fun stuff and food. Safety, comfort, etc. are provided by moving him in/out gently, talking while he's halfway out, maybe even stopping your hand with him on it halfway -- kiss noises or a game -- then continue on out. Door open as much as you can will help too, so he can go in and out at will.

*perhaps you put him up and walk away, he wants your attention so he wants to stay out. So hang around after you've put him up, and maybe offer more treats.

*The YUMMIESt food should always be used to get him back in the cage, never when he's out. Whether it's millet, scrambled egg, walnut pieces, etc. give it a name and act excited. Let him sample it. Then when you're ready for him to go back in, get excited about the YUMMIES and show him, then place them in the cage. For my plets it's in a dish attached to their door, since once they enter they become evil and want to bite any hand that approaches their territory. So I drop the treats in the dish and shut the door. For my caiques, I break the walnuts into teensy bits and lay them on a certain rope perch - they go in - then I close that door and open the feeder door and drop in a few more, still talking to them.

*They'll usually put themselves back in the cage when it's bedtime, if all else fails. :D

Hope this helps.