• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New beginnings

EmsyMarie

Meeting neighbors
Hi, after the hardest time I have decided to invite another bird into my life. Losing Blue was awful but I miss the chirps and the empty cage kills me.

I have got a little boy called Star and my Mum has adopted a boy called Kiwi. ( Star is the blue one).

They will be housed in seperate rooms and we won’t allow play time until they are tame.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They´re beautiful :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting the parrotlets. Very pretty.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I love the wild colouration oh so much :) Lovely little boys you have there. How old are they?

EmsyMarie

Meeting neighbors
Thank you :) Star is a baby but Kiwi is approx 5 months old.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Many congrats! That is awesome!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
They are adorable.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Welcome to you Star and Kiwi! :welcomesign:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! They're very cute. :) They're housed in separate rooms because of quarantine? Or they're always going to be?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

EmsyMarie

Meeting neighbors
Thanks guys :) they will always be in seperate cages as they can be very territorial so can lash out at their cage mate. Especially Kiwi whom apparently was badly bullied in his old home by 3 other parrotlets. They will soon be in the same room though after quarantine and will have play time together on the play stand.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I keep two parrotlets also. They are so much fun! Little trouble makers, fearless and accident prone. So when bird proofing the play area think of all the little places they can get squished. Very scary, but sadly they are prone to crushing accidents. Ex: They are playing under a blanket on the couch and someone sits on them. They are playing near a precarious stack of books, and of course all the normal fans, vacuums, doors and countless other parrotlet traps!

They are pretty good at staying on the play stand, but they are very adventurous.

I really enjoy them :xflove:

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
My very fast thought was the bathrooms. Our G2 and macaws sit on our shoulders a lot and we often use the bathroom with them glued to us. HOWEVER, never forget to check your shoulders and backs for tiny little parrotlets. One small flush at the wrong time would be a disaster. We are just new to the tiny guys, and that was one of my first thoughts.
sherri

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Good idea to house them separately. They are really cute. :)

They should be able to have playtime together with no problem, although right now the age difference could lead to a little scuffling.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
They are adorable!

EmsyMarie

Meeting neighbors
So we have a problem... Kiwi is in my room and I have been sitting next to him with the doors open. But just now whilst I was looking down at my book he flew out and is flying around my room! He is loving it but i am worried about getting him back inside as he is not hand tame. I know I shouldn’t have let him out yet it was an honest mistake!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
So we have a problem... Kiwi is in my room and I have been sitting next to him with the doors open. But just now whilst I was looking down at my book he flew out and is flying around my room! He is loving it but i am worried about getting him back inside as he is not hand tame. I know I shouldn’t have let him out yet it was an honest mistake!
Just leave the cage open. Kiwi will go home to sleep. Try not to chase him around, it can set back bonding. Keep your eyes on him so he doesn't get into trouble. Do your best to bird proof anything he could get hurt by or into.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
i am worried about getting him back inside as he is not hand tame.
Don´t worry. You left the door open, so the room must be safe for him to fly in.
One member of my flock (Aldora) is not hand tame nor ¨tame¨. I open her door in the morning, super QUICK as not to be bitten. And she leaves her house in her own time. Her 2 litle ones usually sit by the door coaxing her out. She flies around the room, swings on the curtains and has a good time with the rest of the flock.
Come bed time, I tap her house and she comes and gets in. Never ever had an issue with her and I let her out of the cage starting on day 2 (the day after I found her) while she was in ¨quarantine¨.
I find with all of my birds, the longer they are out of their houses, the easier to put them back.
Funnily, Aldora is one of the easier birds to put back in her house.

I know I shouldn’t have let him out yet it was an honest mistake!
No, you were right to let him out. How long has he been cagebound? A bird needs to fly.

I will tell you what worked for me. It may or may not work for you, but it may give you some ideas-
I would let her out of her house only when I knew I had the time to dedicate. So if I had to leave for a meeting in an hour, no, I would wait ´til after I´m home. That way she could get out and fly and take her time to explore. I would just sit in the same room, but basically ignore her physically, not chasing her, not putting my hand out for her (unless she was falling and not able to find a perch - then I would point my elbow out and let her land on my arm). I would talk to her when I saw she was looking at me. I never stared at her, I would watch her using my peripheral vision. If she landed on me there would be a treat for her, I would slowly bring the treat up from below and in front of her, and place it in front of her, but I never touched her nor shook her off.
Sometimes I would balance a little chunk of millet on my head - a warning, it gets messy.

The first time she made her way down to my hand was so incredible. I felt like I had done something right.

We are still working out our relationship btw, but she wasn´t as young as Kiwi is, you may make progress much quicker than us.
If you forget to move something ¨dangerous¨ like a glass of water or left the bathroom door or curtains open, just get up calmly and fix it, no panicking.

I really do believe that letting the bird out of the cage, unclipped, is the best way to bond. It´s not forced and the relationship you build is genuine. How can it not be real if the bird is given a choice? This is just my opinion :)

Edit:

Last edited: