• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New baby!

MorganP2468

Meeting neighbors
So I have recently adopted an African Grey. I posted before about wanting to rescue a bird. That has proven difficult for a number of reasons. I have also been seeking advice from other bird owners and I realize that rehoming is probably not in my or the birds best interest at this point in my life. Rescuing is definitely something I want to do in the future however, especially once I get more bird experience.
So I have purchased a three month old baby CAG from a breeder and will be picking him up in about three weeks. Could you guys please give me some tips and tricks for bonding with the baby? And tell me about your own experience with a new baby. Also maybe provide some dos and donts for the first few weeks and months. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
I'm hoping mine will be released by the end of August.
There is a ton of info on this site (I haven't looked for another site) and lots of people who will help.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
If the little one is being hand fed go and do as many feeding as you can. Be ready for some regression after you get home, so knowing how to feed is good practice. It helps with bonding too. Have everything set up and ready for the homecoming.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There was definitely some regressing when I brought my baby home.
I had the cage and toys and food all sitting here waiting for his arrival, once he was here I decided I did not have nearly enough bits and pieces for him so I had a few more little shopping trips, I think it is better to have way more than you need right away.....so if you think you need one perch then best to buy two, lots of variety and extras of everything. This is what I have found with my experience but yours may be different.
One thing I wish I had of been prepared for much sooner was knowing that not all baby birds are good on their feet....Burt kept falling off his perches while sleeping as his little toes were sore and tired and his grip and balance needed practice. This broke my heart and I did not have a platform perch and was not able to purchase one as none of the stores had any in stock (bigger than budgie size).....I ended up having to rig up a chopping board for him so he could happily sleep without falling or being disturbed with a fright of being off balance. I really wish I had a platform perch for his first week at least as it was awful for him and for me watching him fall.

Congratulations on your new baby!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations