• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Baby Ring-neck Parrot

Emma675

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Emma Morgan
Hi everyone, my family and I recently got a ring-neck parrot called Ollie. He is only a month old and not very comfortable around us yet, we know it will take time, but we want to help him become happy here. Is there any tips to help him feel more comfortable? He loves his cage and when I get him out he always tries to get back in. Should I leave him? Or should keep him with me so he gets used to us?

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Welcome to the Avenue!

I would say let him come to you. I read books aloud to my Eros and fed him treats whenever he looked happy to accept. It is a long road but one full of so many joys!

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
First spend as long as you can by his cage reading to him, talking to him or just being there. Once he seems totally comfortable with that put your hand in the cage, over a few days move the hand up to a perch. Once he’s totally comfortable with your hand on a perch near him, hold a favourite food in a way that he has to step up to get it and wait until he can’t resist the temptation :D

Eventually he will be used to you if you follow these steps. It may take days,weeks, or even months.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! He's only a month old? That's really young? Are you hand feeding him?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here!