• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new baby budgie concerns?

soiar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
camille
hi! im new to this site so im really sorry if i mess something up but here i go

i recently got a new young budgie but hes nothing like budgies i have had in the past. he is completely uninterested in toys, millet, and treats! hes completely tame and will step up and tolerate being pet but he also has no interest in being with me, which im ok with. my questions are though, is he just too young to be interested in all those things yet? what age should i introduce those things to him? is it normal for him to have a large big black/gray tip on his beak? and does he look health/nornal?
i may be paranoid as i just got him about two weeks ago but i cant find an answer to any of my questions haha

thank you!

Attachments

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has he been to the vet for a checkup lately? Anhedonia and lethargy can be the result of an illness or injury. It's also possible that because he lives alone and is in a new environment, he hasn't yet built up the confidence to explore his surroundings.

soiar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
camille
Has he been to the vet for a checkup lately? Anhedonia and lethargy can be the result of an illness or injury. It's also possible that because he lives alone and is in a new environment, he hasn't yet built up the confidence to explore his surroundings.
yeah! my dad is a semi retired vetinarian and he said that everything seems normal! he is very confident and active once he is out of the cage and flies and explores! he also eats his seed pellet mix and drinks but he never tried the brocolli i put in :( does his black beak have anything to do with illness/anhedonia?

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Charlie is pretty chill and laid back which has got me to worry too, but he seems to be in good health, I'm going to the vet soon for a checkup. What kind of toys have you tried? Some prefer to destroy stuff, other to make noise or swing things around. My budgie would love swinging his toys around, but Charlie is a BIG chewer & destroyer!! So I suggest trying a variety of toys :) It's still pretty early though, give him some time to adjust. And don't give up with the broccoli, he will go investigate it on his own terms!

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
He could be just settling in, getting used to his new home and surroundings. You have to put yourself in his shoes, and remember that he's still going to be uncomfortable for a little while. As long as he's eating and drinking, doesn't look fluffed up or any other signs of illness, he will eventually come out of his shell.
Do you know how old he is? If baby budgies are taken away from their parents or siblings too early, this can stunt their mental growth. They need time to figure out how to be a budgie, learn how to play and forage and keep themselves entertained. (Just like a puppy, they benefit from time with parents and siblings)

Don't worry about the black beak, that's just extra melanin and will fade over time. Totally normal.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He could be just settling in, getting used to his new home and surroundings. You have to put yourself in his shoes, and remember that he's still going to be uncomfortable for a little while. As long as he's eating and drinking, doesn't look fluffed up or any other signs of illness, he will eventually come out of his shell.
Do you know how old he is? If baby budgies are taken away from their parents or siblings too early, this can stunt their mental growth. They need time to figure out how to be a budgie, learn how to play and forage and keep themselves entertained. (Just like a puppy, they benefit from time with parents and siblings)

Don't worry about the black beak, that's just extra melanin and will fade over time. Totally normal.
+1