• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent New baby, beak injury?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My boyfriend called them to change the appointment whenever they get his voicemail, so I'll be sure to get him to ask for precare for him. Also, if he starts showing any sign of infection, changes in pop or appetite, or acting differently they have a resource for finding an emergency vet that we will contact (Just learned about this when he called to change the appointment).
If you notice a change in Cecil's poop, try to keep a sample of it - like use a qtip to wipe some up and put it in a sandwich bag. I know it sounds bad but it will give the vet an idea if anything has changed.

Memowe

Meeting neighbors
I totally understand the situation you're in. It can be hard when all you want to do is the right thing but can't find someone, and I commend you for looking and being willing to try and find someone. You're doing the right thing here.

As for how detrimental it can be, it really depends on when the injury took place. Birds heal faster than humans in general. The little orange bird in my avatar has a badly healed leg because his old owners weren't as great as you're being and left him to suffer with a broken leg. Depending on the severity of the wound and whether infection settles in, it can take somewhere around 2 weeks for a bone to heal the wrong way, though it might be different for beaks.

Since we don't know when exactly this injury took place, it's better to be safe and do something as soon as possible than wait and find out you were too late, you know?
I really appreciate everyone's support, I was naive in thinking it wasn't a big deal, and I should have been more thorough with the breeder, gotten more information, etc.

I'm not sure when the injury happened or how old it is. But we are going to try our best for the little guy!

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I really appreciate everyone's support, I was naive in thinking it wasn't a big deal, and I should have been more thorough with the breeder, gotten more information, etc.

I'm not sure when the injury happened or how old it is. But we are going to try our best for the little guy!
Hey, we can't know everything, you know? You came to the right place, you're open to taking advice to help your animal. That's more than a lot of people say. It was on the breeder's head to make sure you knew what you were getting into. He withheld information that he should have made sure you were aware of and put his wellbeing in danger through no fault of your own.

Imagine if a young kid had bought him instead of you!

Solace

Moving in
Real Name
Aaron
Hi. OP's boyfriend here.
We're definitely going to try to get him ASAP.
We're in Durham, NC and we intend to see Dr. Greg Burkett.
We're joining the bird community after a long history with fish. We're the kind of people who would purposefully look for the most ill-treated fish we can find so we can nurse it back to health.
I intend to do everything I can for little Cecil.
I'll be calling in to the vet first thing Monday morning (they already have a voicemail from me) and making certain they know it's urgent.
I'll ask about pre-care for sure and I'm not afraid to grab poop samples.
Thank you re-inforcing that this is not Memowe's fault. She's blaming herself pretty hard.
Worst comes to worst, I have the name of the breeder and the breeding association he came from. If I have to hunt him down with an autopsy report and make sure he makes right on his negligence, I will.

Thanks, everyone.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi. OP's boyfriend here.
We're joining the bird community after a long history with fish. We're the kind of people who would purposefully look for the most ill-treated fish we can find so we can nurse it back to health.
I'll be calling in to the vet first thing Monday morning (they already have a voicemail from me) and making certain they know it's urgent.
Thank you re-inforcing that this is not Memowe's fault. She's blaming herself pretty hard.
Worst comes to worst, I have the name of the breeder and the breeding association he came from. If I have to hunt him down with an autopsy report and make sure he makes right on his negligence, I will.

Thanks, everyone.

Definitely neither yours or Memowe's fault. Breeder should have taken the baby to the vet. Don't even think of possible autopsy/necropsy. He is acting OK at this time and is active and eating and drinking so put that aside. He just needs to have that injury looked at and then the vet can decide what type of treatment, if any, is needed. It may turn out not be anything major. If you are able to email the vet's office you could send photos of the injury.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Hi. OP's boyfriend here.

Thanks, everyone.
If he's a part of some sort of association, you should definitely let them know. It's possible he's sold injured or sick birds to other people as well if he pulled this with you guys.

I get selling birds who were injured, but not before they received proper vet care and not without making sure the owner knows.

A similar thing happened to me. Goku's old owner sold him to me without telling me he had splayed legs, a missing nail, and an old injury that healed wrong. I get feeling guilty, I know I had that kneejerk reaction despite knowing I didn't do that to him. It'll pass with time and lots of Cecil spoiling.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am sorry that some selfish money hungry breeder sold you a baby he had not looked after properly, that is so unfair to you the new owner and also to poor Cecil. How heartless and irresponsible this breeder was. I hope the vet gives the all clear and confirms there is no infection or pain in Cecil's beak. Boy it looks nasty and sore the poor little cutie.
You guys are great for taking him with this issue and making sure he is going to get proper vet care, there is no reason you should be blaming yourself for this situation. In fact you should be congratulating yourself on the care you are willing to provide and the level of concern you have already shown. If you had not taken this baby maybe he would have ended up with someone who took the breeders word that everything was fine, maybe the other person who may have taken him would not even worry about the things you have. I think it is great for Cecil that he has been adopted by a family who wants the best for him.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Sometimes it's difficult to tell with photos how bad an injury is or if it isn't that bad at all but that looks like a deep gash on one side and a smaller puncture on the other side and does look like there is dried blood on the beak. The person who sold him to you should have taken him to a vet, IMHO. My BFA had to have part of his beak epoxied because it broke off when he bit down on a dremel tool bit while he was being groomed. Vet was not overly concerned, though. My red-bellied parrot SETI had major injury to his beak and cere due to a fight with his brother and I took him to the emergency vet. He was given painkillers and antibiotics.

I agree with iamwhoiam! It might be okay but it is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry! Get him in ASAP and we will hope for the best!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You guys are awesome bird owners already with the concern and quick action you are taking with your new little cutie pie. I hope all goes well for Cecil, he is lucky to have you both!

Memowe

Meeting neighbors
Thank you everyone for your support! Just a little update, Cecil are his breakfast eagerly (tapping on his bowl before I opened his travel cage) and is doing well so far. Today we will be driving home and getting him in his big flight cage! I'll update more as time progresses!

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I'm sorry to see what you two and your beautiful boy are going through - it's great what you're doing for him! It's awful that the breeder wouldn't do anything about it to take care of him, but he's a lucky birdie for landing with people who will look out for him.

Solace

Moving in
Real Name
Aaron
We've got Cecil home now and out of his travel cage. I don't think he knows what to do with himself in his big cage. :D

His poops have all looked normal and he's still eating like a bear. He's also already figuring out target training (hopefully making my life easier when i need to transfer him to the travel cage for the vet trip by myself). Trying to avoid towelling him if I don't have to.

I'll let you know when we have the vet visit rescheduled.

Note: he can't reach those lights and I just closed that side door we left open.

Attachments

Solace

Moving in
Real Name
Aaron
Hi, guys. Still all good for now.
Here's already learning to step to our fingers without biting.
Vet visit is now scheduled for Friday at 2:30 to get his first check-up and get that beak looked at.
We'll let you know what he says.

Solace

Moving in
Real Name
Aaron
Hi, everyone.
Cecil and I just got back from Dr. Butkett's office. We did x-rays and Dr. Burkett says everything is still attached to Cecil's face the way it should be so we just need to watch for infection and mis-alignment. No surgery needed!
Sinuses are still intact and he doesn't seem to be in pain so we'll just keep an eye on it.
He may end up with a scar but that's not something I'm too worried about. He's our handsome little boy scar or no scar.

Thanks again for your advice, everyone. We look forward to updating you on Cecil's progress and happy life in other threads now that aren't in the 911 section.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'm so glad to hear that Cecil got a clean bill of health, I'm sure that took a load off your minds. Now you can actually relax, go back to being parronts and enjoy your little guy.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Grateful that it went well

Memowe

Meeting neighbors
Grateful that it went well
I'm so glad to hear that Cecil got a clean bill of health, I'm sure that took a load off your minds. Now you can actually relax, go back to being parronts and enjoy your little guy.
Thank you everyone so much for your kind advice and support! We both really appreciate everything everyone has said, I was expecting this to be more like the fish community and was happily proven wrong!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:bliss: So glad he's going to be okay! He is very lucky to have such caring parronts.

Note: he can't reach those lights and I just closed that side door we left open.
Is he in there and I'm just missing him? Is he pulling a Pilo? :roflmao: We have a member ( @Lodah) whose gcc has quite a knack for disappearing in his own cage. :hehepink:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
So glad he’s ok! I brought my baby macaw home with a horrendous beak injury (a larger macaw had attacked him repeatedly) two years ago and he did end up needing antibiotics. But that may have been due to any other number of issue he had. So glad your little one just needs time and love. :heart::heart::heart:

It took my guy about a year and a half for the beak to heal over the wound more fully and it’s just a small bump now. It’s amazing how resilient they are.