• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New babies

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
How ugly are they? Lol. They are 2 weeks old, same dad, different moms, and hatched 1 day apart. If the calculations are right, one will be white faced, the other pearl.
Need suggestions for names..... Screenshot_20181006-180415.png

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
is it normal for their eyes to be so bulgie? 0.0In my experience normally bulging eyes indicate mal or undernutrition.

They are so cute and innocent looking though. <3 As for name suggestions, I don't know haha.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are adorable. Are you hand feeding or are moms/dad taking care of them?

AviMom

I just got them, and know this breeder well. I have never gotten such young babies before, but have hand raised several from 3-4 wks old. I'm not sure about the eyes, but they are already very active, and alert, so i think they're fine. However, one has a slower crop than the other, so that could be a potential problem, but hopefully that will change soon.

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
So sad...I prefer Mama and Papa being involved in their care. They are so adorable and innocent...

For me names are not immediate it takes me awhile to figure out a name that "Fits" the bird.
My birds over the years: Noah, Seraphina, Mr. Paint, Sir Lancelot, Gwenivere, Mr. Scrawny, Big Boy, Speckles, Ravenstail, Sephor

Mr. Paint looked like someone dumped a white paint can over just his head. Scrawny was well very scrawny, Speckles had some white flecks by one eye, Ravenstail was all black but not a raven, Sephor started out as Baby...Sephora is beautiful bird in Hebrew so I dropped the a. If you can't tell my names are all over the place. Some I really don't know why I called them that it just seemed to be the right name. Once the feathers come in maybe that will help you come up with some names...CockatielCottage dot net also has a whole page or more dedicated to birdie names.

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Omg they're so adorable!!! So sweet looking!

AviMom

I just fed them for the first time. Then sat and help them. When I spoke softly to them, they got very quiet and still, almost like they already know I'm momma. They started falling asleep, it was so precious.
I agree about names. When it's right, you just know it's right. Their personality is part of naming them.
The worst part of naming tiels is you rarely know the sex of the bird. Tyrion ended up being female.
I like mythical names best, or like with Kata-yuki. She is a white face, and her name means frozen snow.
But I'd still like suggestions....

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They are so adorable!!:heart:

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
they are so cute. I have 5 babies that are now almost 2 years old. Mine looked just like that at that age. As you probably know, when they are 1st hatched they are blind because there is a film covering their eyes. Your birds eyes probably opened pretty recently. I remember when mine got their dark grey crests I thought they had a bruise on their heads. My lutino had a yellow one. Mine were born right before Christmas, the 20, 21, 22. we named them Christmas names starry because he has star like spots on his head, bumbles and the lutino is twinkie, because she is colored like a twinkie and it sounds kind of Christmasy. My other two are boys, they had the yellow "pearls" but have moulted them each time and those feathers have been replaced each moult with more grey feathers. except their tops of the heads. With mine both parents took total care. Only problem I had was last one hatched, starry had a crop smaller than other 2 and he was about half their size. I locked him up in a separate cage with daddy and put seeds, pellets, water, corn and millet spray in their, we had to leave for about 4 hours. Mom was in other cage with the 2 boys. When we came back, starry's crop was full and after that it seemed the other babies realized their brother needs to be fed too, had no further problems with him and he grew over the following night to size of his brother and sister. I had noticed before I did that starry was always the last one in line for food. by the time it was his turn mom and dad had to go eat again so they could feed them and when they were ready the 2 older babies were always ahead of starry, so he was not getting enough to eat. May be you might want to make sure your small one takes turns with other one to be fed first. When you feed them make sure both of them have full looking crops, although I don't really know anything about hand feeding. I also don't know what slow crop is. You may want to ask the breeder about that or a vet. Are both the same size. They look healthy though, I had to look online at times wondering about mine too and didn't know about this forum. Mine at first looked like dinasaurs, then with their fat tummies they looked like little buddhas. When they get all their feathers they will "fledge", fly. they need to loose some of that weight at that time so they can fly, otherwise they will be weighed down. the parents just started to feed them less, and all of a sudden they looked like birds. it's amazing. good luck. I just noticed on your picture that one on right looks like his eyes may not be fully open, but they do open pretty quickly once that film goes away. He does look smaller than the other one.

AviMom

I lost the smaller baby Monday. He wouldn't eat Saturday evening when I brought him home. Sunday, he ate very little and I was very worried about him, but he ate some, and the breeder told me he was only eating once a day. I woke up monday morning and his head was hanging down, he was cold, even though the other baby was very warm. I rushed to put him on a heating pad, and under a light. I made him some very liquidy food just to get him hydrated, and help warm him. He seemed a little better after....he perked up quite a bit, but soon had a very large, black stool, and passed soon after.
I believe he had a malformation, or something, and was just not healthy from the start.
The other baby who I am calling "Abel" is healthy, growning, eating fine, and already bonding with me.
It's been very sad, as my roommate had 3 Yorkie puppies, 8 weeks old, and one suddenly passed away Sunday morning at the emergency vet.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, I’m so sorry about the loss of that sweet baby and your roommate’s puppy. I love the name Abel, it’s very fitting!
:sadhug2:

AviMom

Im heart sick. I'm glad it happened as soon as it did in a way before I got more attached. I'm already in love with Abel. Last night after I fed him, I played him lullabies and cupped my hand over him gently kinda like a momma bird sitting on him, covering, and protecting him, and he settled right down and fell asleep. My birds are my one joy in life (not to exclude Albus, my cat). But there's something about a bird responding to me, making strides in a subtle communication that transcends my soul. When a bird shows me trust, and there's an understanding of "I love you", and they love you back, that no words can explain.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about the losses.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Awwwww!:heart:So precious!!!!:faint:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry for your loss.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Cute - cute - cute.

I’m sorry you lost the little one. Sometimes with slow crop you can mix a tiny (tiny!!!) drop of vinegar with water and, when the crop is empty or near empty, dose that. But it sounds to me like your little one had bigger problems.

At least this one is healthy/ growing!

AviMom

I didn't have him long enough really to figure out what was up. They hadn't been pulled from momma long either, so not sure the breeder knew he was as sick as he was.
Abel is fierce and growing every day. He's eating great, and seems smart. He is bonding with me more daily too. He starts to chirping when he hears my voice.
I'm really enjoying time with him, especially his night time feeding, playing him lullabies and cuddling til he goes to sleep.
My hand raised babies are all very cuddly and so sweet.