• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New B&G

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's absolutely beautiful!! Welcome to the Avenue, sweet little one!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh Jill is so sweet. Congratulations!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
She is gorgeous!!! Beautiful little gal for sure!!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcoem to the Avenue Jill! Such a beauty ❤

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That is a darling little baby! I love when they have that baby face that takes forever to grow into. :xflove:
I was just thinking that the other day....Burt is still growing into his face going by the adult B&G pics I see. I look back at earlier pics and can’t believe he’s actually changed but I never noticed it happening.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Jill! :)

I know so little about Macs...but I can tell she'a a youngin' for sure...
That is a darling little baby! I love when they have that baby face that takes forever to grow into. :xflove:
...isn't that for sure...;)

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
She's gorgeous!! Baby Blue and golds really have the cutest baby faces... I hope you'll tell us more about her - how old is she? How long have you had her? I'm glad you were able to get over the horrible experience you had and try again. She's a beauty and looks great!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! She's so pretty!

MILITARYMACAW

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
BRIAN
She will be a year old in July. I don’t have much to compare her to but I think she is pretty textbook Macaw. She is very attached to me, a 24 hour grudge holder, likes to drop things to watch me pick them up etc. she eats on her own now but I still offer her one feeding in the afternoon. Sometimes she wants it and sometimes she doesn’t . I haven’t been in a hurry to stop feedings after my last experience. Our vet said most people stop feedings because they are tired of doing it and that she would eventually quit taking them on her own. From my last experience and what I have read online, I get the impression a lot of birds are under fed once they leave the breeder since they regress to some degree. He’s told me I can stop logging her weight daily now but I have this nicely organized excel sheet and I can’t stop!

MILITARYMACAW

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
BRIAN
I’m building aviary outside of my office but it has been a slow process finding safe materials. I’ll post pictures of it as well.
Which brings me to my next question...
Snakes! I saw a rat snake near the location last week. Are snakes a serious threat to macaws?

MILITARYMACAW

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
BRIAN
I’ve also read oil based paints are toxic to birds, but I’ve also read rustoleum paints are non toxic after they have fully cured (approximately 10 days) does anyone have an opinion or insight regarding this?

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Jill is an absolutely beautiful girl. I think many of us felt the overwhelming loss of your last baby. I'm happy you have another macaw in your life and you've come back to share your new joy. Congratulations!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I love the shape of your aviary!! But I have no insight on paints. I assume that latex paints are very safe after they've cured. But if your bird chooses to attack the wood, it won't last long, but with enough perches and swings she may leave it alone. What are you using as mesh? Will you roof it with fiber glass panels, or asphalt shingles? Are the boards 2x4's? The base of it looks like it's designed at an angle, rather than laying flat. Rather than all the questions, why don't you just come build me one? I've been considering putting up a large "grow tube" that I'd use an a green house and a day-time aviary... Did you design your own plans for yours?