• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New aviary for foster birds

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Long story short a friend of mine bought this aviary (an A and E 85"x61") off Craigslist. It was brand new from a woman who hadn't realized just how much space it would take up in her home. Then she realized she couldn't put her macaw in it because of the 1/2 inch bar spacing. Then I came along and offered to buy it (at a great steal) and it found its third home with me lol.
I wasn't sure what to do with it because it's too small of bar spacing for my macaw (and I have one coming Monday for him with the right size). So I set it up and went to my rescue to grab some more bird toys. While there I got to talking to the owner of the rescue and I showed them my aviary. We talked a bit and I had an idea...Always trouble lol.
So we'll be using this aviary as an indoor decompressing space for any medium size parrot that is having a rough time in the shelter setting. Often, the rescue has birds for many months and it wears on them. This aviary will provide a safe, large and healthy space for the parrots to find some calm again. I'll just be fostering so they are still adoptable, but just out of the loud and sometimes hectic shelter.
I haven't been told which parrot I'll be fostering yet because I asked for a little more time to fully furnish the aviary, but I'm excited to help in a little way. It's also kind of my way of honoring my Dad's memory (he passed away in October) because he loved parrots but couldn't own any due to his health. He would always visit mine and be in awe of their intelligence. So this is known as his aviary in my house. :) IMG_20170809_222133.jpg

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, that's wonderful! I'm so glad you will be helping some birds. I'm sure they will love the space, and what a lovely tribute to your dad!:heart:

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Wow. Such a beautiful act of kindness and love. :heart: Thanking for sharing your story and for perhaps inspiring others. Your dad would be proud.
:hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Awesome way to pay tribute to your dad. I know he will be smiling down from heaven watching over "his" birds.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
What a beautiful way to remember him.
Would love to see pics of your fosters.