• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Angelfish

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
More angelfish, a bristlenose catfish, and live plants.

Modell

Strolling the yard
How many adult angelfish could live happily in a 30? It might be 35, I kind of lost count when filling it, lol. I know its bigger than my 20 gallon tanks' height and depth wise, same length though.
What types of plants do you suggest?
Thank you!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The rule of thumb is 5 gallons per angel, so 6 max.

Some of the so-called beginner plants need a special light, and one of the big chain pet stores sells non-aquatic plants that will turn brown and muck up your tank. So I am going to suggests some low light, easy care plants for you. These 2 are my favorites java fern and anubias nana. I usually buy my plants from other plant lovers on forums but I have bought from this shop a couple times. Their shipping is reasonable and they have good plants, although small. You will want a couple of each to start, I'd say -- more if you want to fill the tank.

I'll have to dig out photos of my tanks for you. I'm in class all day tomorrow so I will do it on Sunday. :)

The advantage of a planted tank is that once every thing levels out, you have a little eco system in your tank. It is healthier for the fish. Plus they love to hide in them.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cute little guy

Modell

Strolling the yard
Alright, I was thinking of maybe one more.
I'll definitely try those plants then. Anytime I've tried plants before, they died pretty fast or my Africans destroyed them, hence why I haven't messed with them too much, lol. I kill plants outside the tank too, no green thumb for me.

My favorite plant is usually my algae, which I like because it acts as a water quality indicator, it's tough to kill, my fish can graze on it, my fry love to munch on it, it looks natural and makes a nice background. The biggest thing is that it actually grows. XD However, I really would like some plants that flow and move and my fish can hide in.

Thank you for all the great advice and I look forward to seeing your tanks!

Modell

Strolling the yard
@KimKim Thank you! He was being beat up at the store, so I bought him. I usually buy the bullied fish because I feel bad and like watching them become vibrant. The rescued ones always seem to be the friendliest and the prettiest in the end. He's shy still, but lapped up the bloodworms I gave him. I can't wait to see his true personality!

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
He is beautiful!

Modell

Strolling the yard
@WeasleyLover Thank you! I'm hoping his fins fill in a bit more, he's still pretty small and they're a bit torn up. Any name suggestions? :3

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I had angel fish & they can get big. I read 10 gal min for one. I'd only get one or two more.
Those bannana type plats are nice...

Modell

Strolling the yard
@camelotshadow I mainly have big cichlids, so I'll make sure not to add too many. Some of my cichlids could probably eat an angel given the chance! I swore I wasn't going to get any more cichlids, but I saw him and couldn't really resist, lol. I think the general rule is a gallon per inch of fish, but I always make sure to have more than that. Well, not in my one tank, there's like a 100 baby cichlids in there. XD

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Show us your cichlids!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Angel are my favorite. Had discus but they are harder to keep & more $ & most of mine met there demise y jumping out of the tank.

I had 2 pretty big angelfish about 3 inch body/// Think they can easy grow 5 or 6 in in body. (Not sure)
Gal per inch is really bare min I guess to just survive but its taxing on the water & poor fish would feel like a beta in a fishbowl.

I had marble like this..

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Marble Veil Angel

wow $8 for a 2 in fish with tail...Fins are also long on these fish

My dad always had fish tanks. I had my own in my apt at one time but I guess I went to wild & had about 4 tanks & it got cumbersome to take care of them & guess I was not that great taking care of them.

I think if I got fish again I might just go for one fancy goldfish as you don;t need a heater & they are pretty hardy if given a big enough tank.

Thats a 30 gal? Can't really judge size i pic...I guess its a tall tank.

Pretty tank.

I think my biggest 2 was a 20 or 30...Gosh can't remember but it was long & seemed huge in my small apt.

13 Colorful Angelfish Compatible Tank Mates - Fish Tank Advisor

Ram is nice looking but never had one.

Really cool
Featherfin Synodontis but it gets up to 12 inches!
Never bred in captivity??? So they are wild caught...interesting

Last edited:

Modell

Strolling the yard
@finchly I'll have to find some in a bit, I have way too Many pictures on my phone, lol.
@camelotshadow I know my grandma used to keep them. She had about every fish you can legally or otherwise own thanks to her husband. She told me angels were peaceful, which helped my decision. Most cichlids are highly aggressive, I guess angels and convicts(Usually) are the exception? She had discus too, but didn't recommend them.
Yeah, it's the bare minimum. I do not really follow it. My fish usually have a few extra gallons each, typically four or more. Though I guess you're supposed to overstock cichlid tanks. I never do that and they spawn just fine. I have lost a few to bullying though, so it makes me wonder.
A lot of the fancy goldfish need heaters and can be difficult. Orandas can get infections in their wen, or might need surgery to remove parts of it. I'd suggest convict cichlids instead. They're usually pretty nice so long as they aren't spawning. I had my pair in a community tank and they didn't hurt anyone. I mainly removed them for the fry' s sake. They honestly have dog like personalities. :3
It's the same length as my 20, a little deeper and a lot taller. I think the angel enjoys the height.
Thank you. :3 My tanks usually aren't fancy, my fish tend to move gravel everywhere and mess them up, lol.

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
Cute fish!
For plants, just don't buy from the chains like PetCo.
I wish I had better advice, but I'm a bird person, not a fish person.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I keep goldfish, but have never worked with tropicals. Don't want to bother with the expense of a heater. We keep a very cold house in the winter.

Never heard of goldfish *needing* a heater. One can help if the fish is sick, and outdoor ponds shouldn't be allowed to freeze over completely. They certainly seem to prefer warmer room temps, but they will do ok if acclimated to cooler water. I keep very low stocking rates. Right now, I have an outdoor 300 gallon tub that has seven fish. The guidelines for goldfish say twenty gallons per fish but honestly, I think that is very crowded for them, even with extra filtration.

Love fish. They are beautiful and easy once everything is set-up.

Modell

Strolling the yard
@Distaff I was referring to strictly fancies. Certain fancies seem to do okay in ponds, but orandas aren't really recommended to be outside. Comets are better at being outside. They aren't tropical fish, by no means, but they do need it warmer than commons. It's mainly just for stability. It also depends on where you live. I suppose it's preference too either way.
My house drops really low, so I would definitely need one if I was going to keep them. However, it also soars above 100 during summers. It's not the best environment for goldies, which is why I keep mainly cichlids. They can handle the heat. I dont want to buy a cooling system. A couple of my heaters are adjustable which is nice, most are just preset to about 75. My hermies are honestly harder to keep warm, it's always a bit of a struggle each winter. I hoping that since I've downsized tanks, it'll be easier.
It sounds like you have a nice set up, most people crowd their goldfish, so it makes me happy that yours have so much room. :3
I love fish too. I have way too Many though, since my cichlids keep spawning, lol. Im at about 100 plus. XD

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
:) Gouramis have more than once almost pushed me into a tropical tank. Something is just so cute about them.