• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New and needing advice!

CJS4545

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Courtney
Hello! I recently rescued Marley from being euthanized due to past owners not wanting him, and would really appreciate some tips on how to give him the best home possible! I have grown up with cockatiels, and right now have my man Chip and a young green cheek conure Cricket. Any input would be appreciated, I have no information on his past (don't even know how old he is). The few concerns I have so far is he is very unpredictable, already have a few chunks out of my hands. He will bite onto his cage and shake his body really violently too. I feel like he is bored and I'm not sure what I should be doing to help him. Also the screaming. A lot of screaming. I'm new to this breed, help please!

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
First, Welcome and thank you for taking in Marley. You are his angle!

As for "bite onto his cage and shake his body really violently," I remember Loki used to do that when she was the only caique. With two caiques, they would have their beaks together and shake. I am not sure what exactly means, but I think it is a friendly gesture. I will see if I can capture on video.

Biting: My two girls have very different personalities and behavior. When Loki is moody, she would jump and attack! The back feather maybe raised. She usually goes after head which is protected by hairs.

Puck may sway before she bites. She would have a crazed look in her eyes. When she becomes very aggressive in her cage, her feathers are all fluffed up. If she is in her cage, she can't bite me. I leave the room and she quickly come out of her crazy mode. She is more likely to draw blood, but she gives me longer warning than Loki.

I think it is important to learn his body language pattern so that you can avoid being bitten. I have bath towel nearby when I handle my caiques. They love to serf on the towel, too ----- not to mention for snuggling.

Good luck and once again, thank you sooooo much for saving him!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Thanks for helping Marley. :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Welcome!
Thank you for rescuing Marley.
The shaking of the cage bars violently is something my Joey does as well.
Please keep Marley separate from your other birds. Caiques can be bird aggressive.
Do you have any specific questions?
You can also use the "Search" feature to read past posts by Caique parronts.