1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New and have questions

Discussion in 'Welcome Lane' started by Jeffster, 11/14/17.

1. Jeffster

Jeffster Moving in

Hello,

I am picking up a english budgie from the airport in a few hours. It is a birthday gift for my 11 year old daughter who has been researching them for at least 6 months.

Just this morning, I thought to myself.....can birds give humans any diseases?

Well, after looking up the answers to this one, I am kinda panicking. I see a couple different diseases with special attention to the chlamydiosis? bacteria or parrot fever. I am worried, and absolutely do not want anyone in my home to be exposed to a disease.

Anybody with some real answers or advice? How real is this risk? I have gathered some info about washing hands, cleaning cages frequently. The cage will be in my daughters bedroom. I look forward to learning more about birds in general.

Thanks,

Jeffster

SandraK likes this.
  2. Teckechick

Teckechick Strolling the yard I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Dawn
    Welcome to the Avenue!! I have no experience with diseases (knock on wood). Vet checks are always recommended, keeping cages clean of waste ect.. If you buy used toys or equipment make sure it is really clean, there are several bird safe products you can use. I know F10 is a favorite with vets and a lot of members here.

Hopefully someone with actual experience with disease will chime in.

iamwhoiam likes this.
  3. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    Just teach your daughter to wash hands after every time she handles the bird, and do take him to the vet. Explain to your vet that you are worried about zoonotic illnesses. He/she can give you more information.

Also, a lot of people wash their bird dishes in the dishwasher. This is exactly the reason I don't, choosing instead to wash them all by hand. (11 cages worth daily!)

I have had birds since my kids were little, they're in their 30s now. We've never had a problem. Hubby and I *did* pick up an organism once either from our fishtank or from a visit to some Florida docks and restaurants. Eww!

iamwhoiam, SandraK and Teckechick like this.
  4. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Sandra
    Veterinary quality disinfectants are available too. I don't wash any bird dishes in the dishwasher - I wash everything by hand and use one of the 2 types of F10 vet disinfectants. Things to watch out for are mold which can develop fairly quickly on a bird cage if water has been spilt on a cage bottom or seed in a bowl that has accidentally got wet (bird bathing in water bowl). Usually during winter when rooms are heated.

One budgie should not pose that much of a hazard - multiple birds cause more of a problem.

Breathe, Dad. You are already looking out for both your daughter and her fid (feathered kid). You are more aware of things than most "brand new" bird parronts. Always ask if you have questions.

5. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    Welcome to the forum! I really would not worry about catching anything from your bird, although a vet check for any new bird is a good idea- but more so to make sure he's healthy for the bird's sake, not that you will catch anything. :)

Mizzely, iamwhoiam and Tiel Feathers like this.
  6. Jeffster

Jeffster Moving in

thanks for the info.

I am definitely concerned, because I read how the birds can carry this bacteria, but otherwise seem healthy and can pass it to people. But then I see pictures of lots of people with their birds, and birds on their shoulders, and even kissing their birds? Doesn't really add up as far as the risk. Is this just extremely rare?

So, the bird is quiet as can be. The only peep he made was when we got in the car and we were all peering into the travel cage and must have freaked it out pretty bad, because it screamed, and my daughter said it lunged in the cage. Lol. I laughed pretty hard because we all jumped. We are not used to the sounds birds can make. When we got home, my daughter let her out of travel cage, she flew to the floor, and she picked her up and placed her in her big cage. She sat on the bottom and looked super stressed, panting and breathing hard.

After about 45 min, she opened the cage, put her hand in and it came to her and walked up and down her arm and on her hands. No biggie. She can hold it, put it back in the cage, etc....I havent heard it make a peep.

It's bed time now and its dark in her room. IS it ok for the bird to sleep in her room with her? Door must remain closed at all times because of other pets in the house. Im concerned about lack of ventilation in there.

Thanks!

7. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Sandra
    So far, so good though I'd recommend giving Birdie (for lack of a name) a little space if he/she's panting. She's just been on a plane and was picked up in the evening and came home at night (which is scary) to a new place. Too much ventilation can be just as bad as too little. If Birdie is in your daughter's room I'd assume that the ventilation is good since your daughter sleeps there. Avoid any type of plug in room deodorizers, candles or aerosol sprays as those can hurt Birdie. Any type of spray is pretty much a no-no.

Budgies are not necessarily the noisiest of birds when by themselves unless they're afraid or angry, though they do chirp when they're flying around.

CrazyBirdChick and iamwhoiam like this.
  8. Jeffster

Jeffster Moving in

She named him Jester, but initially she said Jeff or Mr. Jeff, hence my screen name "Jeffster"-that is what I like to call him

SandraK likes this.
  9. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Congrats on getting Jeffster. He's probably stressed and scared right now. He's in a new place with unfamiliar people and objects but does sound as if he is comfortable with your daughter which is a good thing.

SandraK and Carol Mcculley like this.
  10. HolliDaze

HolliDaze Sprinting down the street I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Machelle
    websites like to make a big hullabaloo about pet diseases. There are less than ten cases per year. It is a disease that almost never occurs in birds from a good breeder.

Tim likes this.
  11. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    :congrats5:
    Your new little bird seems like a sweetie, and it sounds like your daughter has a very special little friend. If your bird is healthy, he cannot spread a disease to your family. He can only catch a disease like parrot fever from another bird, so your family will be fine.

12. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    Your bird probably has a greater chance of getting something from you than you from him. It's pretty rare that people get sick from their birds. If someone in your family is sick and it's bacterial, there is a chance your bird can get it. Viral doesn't usually pass between different species. I help at an animal rescue with birds and a parrot rescue and have never heard of anyone getting sick from a bird- and some of these birds come in from hoarding situations, etc.

SandraK, Teckechick and Tiel Feathers like this.
  13. Jeffster

Jeffster Moving in

thank you all

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  14. Cynthia & Percy

Cynthia & Percy cockatoo mania Super Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

cynthia
    welcome

15. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    Welcome, and enjoy the site!

16. zoo mom

zoo mom Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Elaine
    Welcome and congratulations.

17. calibird

calibird Rollerblading along the road Premium Vendor Avenue Veteran

Ann
    Welcome to The Avenue.

18. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah
  19. CallieCadmoor

CallieCadmoor Sprinting down the street Celebirdy of the Month I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Hellooo and welcome!:D:D:D
    All I can say is second everything everyone else has said:)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)