• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new aggressive behavior towards my partner

sezii

Meeting neighbors
I'm not sure if this is something that I can change or adjust. Recently (the last week) my baby girl, sunset, has gone from my wife being her favorite to biting, not hard enough to make a mark but hard enough to hurt pretty good, when my wife tries to touch her at all. I can have her step up then hand her to my wife and she's ok and she is ok being put on her shoulder but my wife can not put her hand up to sunset without getting a hard nibble that hurts. Sunset doesn't make noise when she bites and doesn't try to move away but will not allow touch. After my wife takes her hand away sunset "talks" to her using all sorts of chirps and clicks and puts her head down like she wants scritches but as soon as my wife's hand gets close she sits up and opens her mouth if my wife gets closer sunset nips the fingers! Any help would be great!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

sezii

Meeting neighbors
This article seems to be geared towards a gender and mate idea but this is an all female household it's just me (a female) my wife and my 10 yr old daughter the only male in the house is the dog who is fixed. I did look into some things in molting she is about 8 months old but it states that the aggression wouldn't be as selective and more shown to everyone who tries to touch her.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It doesn't matter what gender the humans are. The whole thing is an unnatural type mate bond. "Anyone" who is not the chosen favorite is an intruder/competition for your affections and needs to be driven off. Purely instinct.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hormones don't last forever (6 to 12 weeks) and a newly matured bird is going to have some big ones the first few seasons. They are just as confused as you are.