• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New african grey

Ariba

Moving in
Real Name
Ariba
Hi
I adopted a beautiful african grey about 3 weeks ago and he choose me as his person but after a beak and nails trim he is suddenly very aggressive and does not let me pet him ( he has never stepped up on my hand yet just used to let me pet him)
But now he just tries to bite me if i put my hand near him.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Sounds like to me you will have to go back to basics. He has completely lost trust in any hands coming near him. I would offer him his favorite treats, move slowly, take your time. I wouldn't try to pet him or ask him to step up at this point. You have to teach him that a hand is not the enemy. Was he used to be handled before? Was there a medical reason for his beak to be trimmed? I had a Grey that was abused but he handled the nail trim like a champ. Were you in the room when the trim took place?

Ariba

Moving in
Real Name
Ariba
Sounds like to me you will have to go back to basics. He has completely lost trust in any hands coming near him. I would offer him his favorite treats, move slowly, take your time. I wouldn't try to pet him or ask him to step up at this point. You have to teach him that a hand is not the enemy. Was he used to be handled before? Was there a medical reason for his beak to be trimmed? I had a Grey that was abused but he handled the nail trim like a champ. Were you in the room when the trim took place?
I am not really sure about his background but ik that he was kept in small cage for a very long time. There was no medical reason for the beak to be trimmed but the vet i took him to suggested it and i was not in the room when his beak was trimmed they picked him up in a towel so i think that is why he is scared

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I am not really sure about his background but ik that he was kept in small cage for a very long time. There was no medical reason for the beak to be trimmed but the vet i took him to suggested it and i was not in the room when his beak was trimmed they picked him up in a towel so i think that is why he is scared
A parrot really doesn't need a beak trim unless medically necessary. Nature will keep his beak trim. My Grey was a scaredy cat too but the girls at my vet handled him quickly and trimmed his nails. I was there as well to calm him down. It will take time, but you just have to speak to him calmly, no sudden movements and no putting your hands near his face. It could take months. Hope to hear about progress!

Ariba

Moving in
Real Name
Ariba
Okay thank you so much