• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New African Grey

ferraro1990n

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nicholas Ferraro
Hello all,

I recently brought home a CAG. He is a very nervous bird. He seems to squeal a bit when I approach his cage so I open his door and top door. He climbs out and sit on the top door ledge and usually preens. He is beginning to eat pretty good however he will reluctantly take treats from my hand. He will step up on occasion but is somewhat resistant to it. Although I have only had him three days, does anyone have any advice as to how I can slowly make him more comfortable with me?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome to AA.

How old is your bird?
What do you know about his background?
What is your experience with parrots?
What is your new AGs name.

He sounds like he is doing excellent for a bird who has been there only three days. Keep doing what you are doing and add taking to him (talk, tak, talk). Sit near his cage and talk and read to him People can help you a lot more if they have the information above

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! I agree, I think you're both doing really well for having had him just 3 days.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Just give him time to get used to you, the new space, the new routine. Drop treats in his bowl as you go by. Sit in his room but far from the cage if he is nervous. And yes, talk to him, get him used to your voice. Read to him, inserting his name as often as possible, using an animated voice. Praise him, telling him what a good bird he is, what a pretty bird he is. Let him come out at his own pace. You can put a perch on the inside of the door so that you are not invading his space when coming to get him or putting him back in (once you are able to pick him up). Use a handherd perch or rope perch if he is nervous of hands. Give him a few toys that he can shred, make noise with or chew up to keep him occupied. Foraging toys are good too. If he is nervous of new things, leave the toys within sight of the cage for a few days first, then maybe attach to the outside of the cage first. If he is nervous of them, just add one at a time. If there is something he likes, tie a paper towel around it. Then tie a paper towel around each new toy to make it look familiar.