• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New addition

ElisaS

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elisa Jarvi
I've decided to take the plunge and add a second bird. I own a precious, 2 year old, female maroon bellied conure and just today put a deposit on a 4 week old turquoise conure. My husband and I work away from home and can't stand leaving her alone. My reasoning is that if she is a flock bird we should at least add one more bird. Also she screams bye bye and makes kissy sounds repeatedly every time we leave while quivering and doing summersaults around her perch! We met the baby today and fell in love immediately. The breeder lives nearby and will let me visit until the baby is weened. I thought that would help baby with transition. Could anyone give me advice on how to make the transition and introduction once I bring baby home? Im taking the baby to an avian vet the day I pick it up to make sure its healthy. I have ordered a separate cage. I hope at some point to house them together during the day but they will have separate sleep cages. Thats another question I have. Do they usually bond enough to be kept together? Even if they don't I believe it will be better than being alone while we're at work.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
My experience adding another: Fern was one year when I added Lotus. Lotus was 8 weeks when we brought him home. At first, Fern was obsessed with what this thing was as she was 5 weeks when we got her and only used to people. I think since Lotus was a baby himself and Fern is such a laid back conure with zero territory aggression, there was no issue at all. They got along immediately. The third we have now is their baby so of course they were already used to her. Mine are not caged so I do not know if it will be different adding another if yours is caged. My experience was that it was super easy adding a second.

ElisaS

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elisa Jarvi
Well Kiwi is territorial. Especially over toys and food. Anyway I really appreciate your reply.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your new bird! It really depends on the individual birds whether they will like to be housed together. I would definitely start with them housed separately . And you should always quarantine a new bird anyway for at least 30 days before introducing them.

@webchirp ?

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
I think you have made a great decision. Even in separate cages they'll have each other to look at and chatter to. After awhile ,when you and your husband have seen them interact with each other personally, you will know if it's safe to house them together. I hope they like and accept each other quickly, that would be great, but time will tell. Best wishes! :) Pat

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
My two don't get along well enough to be within a foot of each other or they start squabbling, so no housing together, but they get along well enough to be out at the same time. Their cages are near each other and even though they're not best friends they do vocalize to each other, so they do enjoy the company.

We started them out in separate rooms for the first little while, then progressed to their cages in the same room but out time was in separate rooms, then to carefully supervised out time together when both myself and my roommate were home.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Congrats on the new baby cant wait to see pics :)

ElisaS

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elisa Jarvi
I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback because this has been a really hard decision for us. We have gone back and forth for a year trying to decide if this will enrich Kiwis life or make her unhappy. I must admit that having another bird to clean up after also gave me pause! That being said everyone's answers reaffirm the conclusion we reached. Thanks again!!

safehaven

Well Kiwi is territorial. Especially over toys and food. Anyway I really appreciate your reply.
Ahhh, I can understand your struggling with the choice of adding. I struggled too! Have they sexed the new baby? My first is a female and the second we got a year later was a male. Not sure if that matters or not.
I hope it will be an easy transition and even if in another cage, they will be company for one another:)

ElisaS

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elisa Jarvi
No I don't know the sex and have decided that come what may I will accept the responsibility even if that means baby birds! I will add we won't be encouraging that, haha. Thanks for all of the encouragement!☺

Greencheek Lee

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
My YSGCC lost his mate just before his 9th hatch day. Since they had been together since week 1 I figured he would be too lonely alone. We got a turquoise baby. Things were actually better at first, my older boy is the sweetest. Now the younger one basically chases him around wanting to feed him, which he doesn't really want. They are now sleeping together at night, but I still keep them separate during the day for Bailey's sanity. They preen each other and don't fight, but don't hang around as much as Bailey did before. I'm hoping once the younger one get a bit older he'll calm down and it will get better. I think having them closer to the same age is a good call. I have 2 males, didn't want to chance babies after a budgie that had many problems. Just prepare for some bumps and try to make time for each individually. You'll do great - good luck!

ElisaS

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elisa Jarvi
Hopefully the age thing will help but Kiwi is very laid back and the breeder says the baby is very active. I was hoping that would motivate Kiwi to get more exercise! I will definitely take your advice about individual time. Thanks so much!:smileflower:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Congrats on the new baby! I haven't ever had conures but I will say that birds are less likely to recognize other birds as potential friends if they happen to be a single chick raised by people without being socialized with other birds when young. So when adding a second bird I would always want to make sure it has siblings or other babies to socialize with.

ElisaS

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elisa Jarvi
Hmm...well Kiwi was 4 months old when I purchased her and definitely was with many birds before us, although not since. The baby turquoise is from a smaller breeder but still around other birds. There are 4 in the clutch and she keeps them together. Should we get 2 babies instead of 1??

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I personally have not had much luck with others immediately accepting friendships. I would advise separate cages until you are positive that they get along and be warned once both hit puberty, your relationship with Kiwi may change if they bond. I might advise to not get two babies in this instance if you want a closer bond for kiwi and the new baby. The siblings will likely always be closer and leave kiwi out when older. Of course there are a few people with little groupings that do really great. Congrats!

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We purchased some conures at the bird show in Pomona California last week. We only had 2 cages, but we ended up with 6 birds. We already had a Cinnamon GCC in one cage and we were looking for a potential mate. We found one from another vendor, but I was hesitant about putting two unfamiliar birds together. Birds shows are stressful for some birds and I didn't want to add to it. The vendor didn't think it would be an issue and popped the new bird in with the other. They became friends right away, and were sitting side by side before we even left the show. They were calm the whole way ride home and are now settled into their new aviary together. With as aggressive as the first one was, I thought for sure there would be issues, but I guess we got lucky. Hopefully they like each other to start producing some chicks.