• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New 4 month old GCC! A few questions :)

Sushi77

Sitting on the front steps
Hello everyone! I've been reading these forums for a few weeks while doing research before getting my new GCC! He's (we're going to go with he) only four months old and I haven't had a bird myself before. I just grew up with an aggressive cockatiel that my parents had.
The workers at the pet store I got him from all loved him and let him out on their shoulders every day to walk around the store. He was hand raised and is only 4 months old and was very sweet at the store. At the store he would run over to the glass to say hi to anyone who came over to the cage. However they would always grab him to get him out. The first full day home he would run to the back of the cage because he didn't want to be grabbed. So I put his cage on the floor with it open and sat next to him while I built his new cage. I put cut up apple pieces outside the door and ate off the plate too. He came out after about 30 minutes and after another 30 minutes allowed me to touch him without running away and I taught him step up in 2 hours! Now 3 days later he refuses to step up and will climb around the outside of the cage to get away from me. When he's out he'll sit on my shoulder or climb to the top of my head. Is it normal for them to just decide they just want to be stubborn? He's beaky but it doesn't hurt. Sometimes he holds onto the side of the cage and flaps his wings really fast. Is this normal? Today I didn't want to force him out after he refused to step up so I just opened his cage doors and let him do as he pleased. He sat on the open doors, but didn't come out. He'd chirp and I'd put my finger out for him, but he'd run back into his cage. Should I just give him time to adjust? I'm brand new to this so I don't want to break his trust or do something wrong for him. Thank you!!!

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Yes, he is just afraid,you will gain his trust it just takes time. Maybe there are other things you can do with him than making him step up.

parsaxyz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
parsa
Im a new GCC owner aswell, like I got mine a month ago which makes him 5 months!

The not wanting to be picked up, honestly I'm having the same problem, he LOVES my shoulder and will even fight me if I have to take him down, but once hes on the cage he hates being picked up, it's really cute cuz he runs around or just sticks to the bars

I'm brand new to all of this aswell, and so far I'm loving the forum people are super helpful.

As for the hanging on the bars and flapping wings really fast, mine does this too, I know it's something normal, but I forgot what they're trying to do. Haha

In my experience patience pays off, it hasn't for me yet (he still runs away from me when he's on his cage)
But I like to stay positive :)

Welcome to the forum.

dawnkyung

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dawn
I recommend almond slivers as treats for bribery to get him used to your hands. Has worked well with almost every bird I've owned, and definitely worked for every green cheek.

SpellCastor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Castor
New conure owner as well (not new to avian behavior though, used to study raptors.)
I got my girl about 4 days ago. She is also 4 months old! We should keep in contact and share our experiences, seeing as our fids are around the same age. It would be cool to watch them all grow up. :)

As for the not being able to pick your bird up, I've found that enforcing the "step up" command as often as possible is super important. Take your fid somewhere they won't be too distracted and for a good 10 minutes or so keep doing the step up command and some other tricks in between to keep their minds active.
Also, it helps to have treats handy when you're trying to get your conure to step up- even if you're not really training. This associates your hand with something positive.

I've learned also that sticking your hands in the cage and messing with things prevents your bird from getting too territorial.
Move perches around. Move toys around. Put their food bowl on the opposite side of the cage. Desensitize them to your presence while they're in their home.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Please do not force your bird to step up. This can lead to avoidance behaviors (which we are already seeing!) and more aggressive behaviors, such as biting and lunging! And if you ignore the behavior, it will only get worse! This could eventually lead to "learned helplessness"... that is, the bird has no say in the final outcome and simply gives up. *NOT GOOD*

Please! Use patience and treats!
Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Castiel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I am just giving my bird attention when he wants it and trying to be useful to him by picking him up when he ends up in the floor. We are growing on each other.