• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New 2 Birds

Bird Gramma

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shelly Garcia
Hello, my daughter (11) now has a parakeet and a GC Conure happily living in her room with her. We are new to having the GCC, any advice on helping them to become friends? Thank you!!

Othelllo

Moving in
Real Name
Carol
I have never had a conure. All the birds I have cared for or adopted will step up when asked though. It surprised me to find that even the ones at the pet shops will step up if you ask them. I think breeders must train them. You just put your finger or arm in front of the birds feet while saying "step up". You can use a perching stick also, as I have heard conures can be nippy and sometimes have to mouth the object they will be stepping up upon to make sure it is stable. Parakeets sometimes step up and sometimes are skittish. You have to be patient and keep trying, but they step up and eat treats also. I had one that would ride on my shoulder like my parrot does. I did not ask either to do so, but they do seem to like to go to the part of us without fingers. I sometimes wonder if birds think our heads are some type of captive bird. I hope your daughter enjoys her pet birds. My girls had allergies, so we kept the birds in the living room, but it would be easier to keep them warm and cool in a bedroom.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:welcome2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Welcome to the avenue. I agree with @Lady Jane I would not keep them in the same cage. They can have out time together as long as they are supervised.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
In addition to the 'two cages' comment, I would add this:

GCC's are a fair bit more intelligent than budgies (parakeet). This means they need more stimulation to be kept properly happy, which in turn means they need a somewhat larger cage to accommodate the extra toys etc. If they don't have enough to keep them busy and interested, they can get frustrated and grumpy.

You don't have to spend a fortune on toys (though you surely can lol) - many homemade toys work great. One of my favorite foraging toys for smaller birds, is to cut off about a 4 inch section of a paper towel roll, fold in one end, stuff it with shredded paper and treats (dry treats, not fresh/wet foods, obv), fold in the other end, and tie the package shut with a few strands of cotton yarn. The first time or two, I usually stick some millet sprigs or something in the yarn to get them interested in it, but once they get into it and figure out there's food hidden inside, they will love destroying them. ;)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Welcome to the avenue!